daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #4981
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Not officially perhaps no, but the school can change the exam board for example. That happened to me last year, and what we had to learn for the exams changed a lot.

We aren't taught for us to learn, but to pass the exams, and the exams do vary, for example one year its mainly on x, then y, then u, then p, then x then y and so forth, so what we are taught will vary, if the teachers expect for p to come up in an exam, that is what we are taught, if y comes up, well we're in trouble
Right, I understand what you mean now. I'll leave it there as we're going just a tad off topic.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #4982
Fatfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by erxgli View Post
That can help us...

Not really. It would make Japan part of Europe or Britain part of Asia.
Old August 18th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #4983
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
Not really. It would make Japan part of Europe or Britain part of Asia.
Would that be a bad idea?
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #4984
Fatfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Would that be a bad idea?
Would what be a bad idea?
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #4985
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

So does anyone know the answer to this: Can individuals own land that straddles a border? or does their property rights end where it meets the international border?

Example Hungary/Bulgaria border on Google Earth looks like the border meanders through farmlands etc.... How are these situations treated? Pay taxes to both nations?
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:28 PM   #4986
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraperDude View Post
So does anyone know the answer to this: Can individuals own land that straddles a border? or does their property rights end where it meets the international border?

Example Hungary/Bulgaria border on Google Earth looks like the border meanders through farmlands etc.... How are these situations treated? Pay taxes to both nations?
Can you please provide a map of this border?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #4987
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:

Maybe not on that border , but its possible indeed, there are loads of farms on the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #4988
NorthPole
Great Ape Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
When I was in gymnasium (I think it was around 2000-2004) we also had a very old map. Romania was still bordering the Soviet Union. I now see many maps where Romania is not bordering Soviet Union anymore (but Ukraine and Rep. of Moldova), but there is a country called Yugoslavia next to us
But there are still some Romanian neighbours left. Poles cannot say the same (there's no USSR, Czechoslovakia or GDR any more). Obviously we did something really serious in 1989, so no country could survive it (Poland did, but we had to change its full name after all).

But there are bright sides too. Number of our neighbours jumped from 3 to 7.
More neighbours = more fun

Gdynia from above
NorthPole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #4989
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:

There are people on the U.S./Canadian border who actually have the border passing through their houses. Check out Derby Line, Vermont, and Rock Island (I think is the name), Quebec, which are for all practical purposes a single town.
Also Baarle-Hertog, Belgium, and Baarle-Nassau, the Netherlands, which are an absolute mess. I know there are websites on that.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #4990
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2652

Quote:

Afaik on Belgium they pay the taxes where they have the door of the house.

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #4991
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
There are people on the U.S./Canadian border who actually have the border passing through their houses. Check out Derby Line, Vermont, and Rock Island (I think is the name), Quebec, which are for all practical purposes a single town.
Also Baarle-Hertog, Belgium, and Baarle-Nassau, the Netherlands, which are an absolute mess. I know there are websites on that.
There is a German country lane near the border with Beek, where the houses on the side of the road are Dutch. On the other side of the road it's all fields. I guess these Dutch citizens live on a road with a German name, but their houses are in Holland.

In Maastricht there is a street where the houses on the left are Belgian, and on the right are Dutch. Dutch side: all tidy
Belgian side: a mess with overhead
power cables.

Kerkrade: Left: Dutch, right: German. It's called Nieuwstraat / Neustrasse. Road lay-out is all Dutch.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #4992
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
There is a German country lane near the border with Beek, where the houses on the side of the road are Dutch. On the other side of the road it's all fields. I guess these Dutch citizens live on a road with a German name, but their houses are in Holland.

In Maastricht there is a street where the houses on the left are Belgian, and on the right are Dutch. Dutch side: all tidy
Belgian side: a mess with overhead
power cables.

Kerkrade: Left: Dutch, right: German. It's called Nieuwstraat / Neustrasse. Road lay-out is all Dutch.
This site full of border pictures (and with links to other such sites) has been around forever:

http://grenzen.150m.com/

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #4993
ScraperDude
lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I already know of Derby Line and areas outside of that area that border QC where properties have the border running though them and some of their homes as well as the Baarle situation in NL. I know the US and Canada allows ownership of properties on the border.

I'm curious how these situations play out in other countries and how the taxes are determined. Especially Eastern European countries.

PS: I actually have bookmarked the http://grenzen.150m.com long ago and am in LOVE with it. I can spend so much time on those sites.
Old August 18th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #4994
ScraperDude
lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Can you please provide a map of this border?
Here are the Google maps coordinates for the area I'm referring to: 47.777117,22.528996

The border seems to just flow through farm fields
Old August 19th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #4995
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Here are the Google maps coordinates for the area I'm referring to: 47.777117,22.528996

I can't see any border at those coordinates. However, in the nearby there is indeed the Romanian-Hungarian border.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #4996
ScraperDude
lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
I can't see any border at those coordinates. However, in the nearby there is indeed the Romanian-Hungarian border.
Sorry about that! Try these: 47.755829,22.472162 Near Berveni, Romania
Old August 19th, 2011, 02:50 AM   #4997
alserrod
Bienvenue Saragosse

Quote:

First question is...
Is the border at google really correct in the exact line?. They are used to approach a lot, but usually a little meters can change...

About what happens when your house, bar or shop is in two countries at the same time, I prefer Dutch or Belgian forumers to tell about Baarle...........

(Jos A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #4998
ScraperDude
lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
First question is...
Is the border at google really correct in the exact line?. They are used to approach a lot, but usually a little meters can change...

About what happens when your house, bar or shop is in two countries at the same time, I prefer Dutch or Belgian forumers to tell about Baarle...........
In some instances it google is correct however in most it is not
I know enough about Baarle I feel I could write a book on it, I think most of here are well informed on Baarle.
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #4999
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Google borders are far from accurate. Overall they're fairly accurate, but not on the highest zoom levels, where they're often off by meters or even tens of meters.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #5000
alserrod
Bienvenue Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
Somport E-F
Aragnouet-Bielsa E-F

I am not sure if there are some other border tunnels in Europe

A bit later...

Somport tunnel, opened in january 2004 is 8,1 km long and I posted in this thread a photo about the point of the border.

It connects the Spanish national road N-330 and French one RN-134, both of them managed by national governments.

Is is part of Way of St. James. The mountain pass of Somport is the smaller in the central Pyrenees and that one chosen by pilgrims since middle age (1.620 m over sea level)

Aragnouet-Bielsa

Opened in the early 70s, there was no alternative to cross the border there. It is between some of the highest peaks of the Pyrenees.

On last years it has been closed some months for refurbishments and dates had to be agreed with hotels, ski resorts, etc... in both sides of the border because closure impact.

There is an only entreprise for maintenance in both sides of tunnel and inside of it, of course. It is to avoid the situation of snow in one side and no problem in the other side (so tunnel closed) and upside down next week.

It connects secondary roads managed by Hautes Pyrenees department and the region of Aragon.

(Jos A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways