daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #5001
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Google borders are far from accurate. Overall they're fairly accurate, but not on the highest zoom levels, where they're often off by meters or even tens of meters.

Here we have an example that accuracy about borders at Google maps is not perfect.

Anyway... looking at the last photo... the mistake in that point is only for a few metres...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=4567

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #5002
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Google borders are far from accurate....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #5003
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraperDude View Post
I already know of Derby Line and areas outside of that area that border QC where properties have the border running though them and some of their homes as well as the Baarle situation in NL. I know the US and Canada allows ownership of properties on the border.

I'm curious how these situations play out in other countries and how the taxes are determined. Especially Eastern European countries.

PS: I actually have bookmarked the http://grenzen.150m.com long ago and am in LOVE with it. I can spend so much time on those sites.
As far as taxation, I'd assume that a house in two jurisdictions (or at least the land it's on) would just count as two separate parcels, with each jurisdiction charging taxes on its part. (It may be more complicated with a building, and if you get into issues like assessed value of the property...I suppose the value of a house would be based on the whole thing, so would each country take a share, perhaps conducting a joint assessment so they agree on the value? Just thinking out loud - have no idea how it works. But I don't see how Quebec could tax land in Vermont and vice versa.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #5004
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
As far as taxation, I'd assume that a house in two jurisdictions (or at least the land it's on) would just count as two separate parcels, with each jurisdiction charging taxes on its part. (It may be more complicated with a building, and if you get into issues like assessed value of the property...I suppose the value of a house would be based on the whole thing, so would each country take a share, perhaps conducting a joint assessment so they agree on the value? Just thinking out loud - have no idea how it works. But I don't see how Quebec could tax land in Vermont and vice versa.)
There are occasional stories around here regarding houses that sit on municipal borders where officials have gone into the houses to do surveys to determine where the bedrooms of each child are - to determine what schools they go to. Ditto for which city to vote in, etc.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #5005
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Hmm. Voting would be an issue. Do people on the U.S./Canadian border have dual citizenship? Never thought about that. As far as people on municipal borders (or county lines or whatever) within the U.S., you certainly can't (or shouldn't) have someone getting to vote twice in Federal elections because they happen to live in two Congressional districts....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #5006
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Nice to see the comparisment between the Dutch-Belgian Baarle situation and the US-Canadian one.
Are there simular situations between the US and Mexico? I've got these images in my head of the father sitting in his US livingroom, who keeps on sending his child back to his Mexican bedroom, because the child doesn't want to go to sleep.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #5007
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

India - Bangladesh border

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #5008
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Yes, but have you been to Baarle?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #5009
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Nice to see the comparisment between the Dutch-Belgian Baarle situation and the US-Canadian one.
Are there simular situations between the US and Mexico? I've got these images in my head of the father sitting in his US livingroom, who keeps on sending his child back to his Mexican bedroom, because the child doesn't want to go to sleep.
Hells No!
The border is demarcated by a buffer zone on the U.S. side that structures can not straddle the Mexican border for the most part. There are places where warehouses etc sit right next to the Mexican border near California 905 in Otay, California. There may be others but none I can think of.
As for US-Canada those homes were built and then the border was surveyed again sometime ago and they found the border to be running through the properties. I'm not sure when this was realized though. Maybe someone on here can comment on that.
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #5010
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

And I found this site today about a border town in North Dakota and the crossing was closed and moved west a half mile: http://ghostsofnorthdakota.com/2010/05/19/northgate-nd/
Old August 20th, 2011, 01:17 AM   #5011
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Since we all know that the Mexican side of the border is one of the most dangerous places in the world, having by far the highest criminal statistics of the globe, damn, I would never live in a house that, at least partially, belongs to Northern Mexico.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 02:43 AM   #5012
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

There is a Spanish blog very interesting about borders and threads related.
Blogger has crossed some countries and a lot of photos are taken by himself.
Some people send him information from any corner of the world so there are more topics to write about.

This is he article he wrote about Derby border.

http://fronterasblog.wordpress.com/2...r-a-la-carcel/

It is in Spanish and I try to make a free web translation and correct it (translators aren't always perfect).

Should anyone understand this language, the blog is fantastic about borders... He talks about Baarle, some triborders (or the 4 borders at South Africa), enclaves and a lot of curiosities.
At least one article per month... sometimes more... and he has been writting for several years!!!

Quote:
When crossing the street can take you to jail
By Diego Gonzalez

The older readers will remember the case of Frontiers of Rock Island and Derby Line, a few villages in the Canadian province of Quebec and the U.S. state of Vermont, respectively. These are two people stuck at the border and built in part on it, and there are private homes and public buildings matches the parallel 45 North, the invisible line that decrees just where does Canada and the United States, or vice versa. Both countries there is no treaty of free movement as we enjoy in the European Union, and that makes life easier for the inhabitants of border areas and the traveling fools. For decades the common sense allowed the inhabitants of both towns made ​​normal life, but the paranoid post-September 11th has become common sense in the least common of the senses, as U.S. border areas are concerned.

Buzz Roy is a guy who lives in Derby Line for years. Last week it happened to go buy a pizza restaurant nearby, which happens to be across the border. Across Church Street, known across the 45th parallel as Rue Church, was approached by a U.S. police and reported that it was forbidden to cross the street. Buzz, who had crossed the same street for years without any problems, reacted angrily, jumping to either side of the border, showing that nothing happens nor the world sinks to cross a street to buy a pizza. The police proceeded to arrest him and put him in jail for violating U.S. laws that prohibit entering and leaving the country without notifying the authorities (and it was clear that authority was just in front of him).

Three hours later, Buzz Roy was released, but not before eating a $ 500 fine. Probably the pizza arrived cold. According tell the neighbors, the center of town (the towns, really) is getting empty as a result of increased police patrols at the border, and therefore troubles with citizens. The residents of Derby Line and Rock Island have responded to the arrest getting badges with the message Free Buzzy Roy. Only in America. (in English in original text)

There is another article about the library

Old August 20th, 2011, 02:56 AM   #5013
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

As I wrote... there are too many interesting articles. It is just necessary to undestand Spanish for reading that blog, or having Google Chrome as navigator with automatic translations.
Some comments made by blog readers can be as interesting as the own article.

About India-Bangladesh there area two articles.

I just copy a photo:

The person is at Bangladesh (border pointed by the line). Exterior is India... but it is itself an enclave inside Bangladesh again!!!!!!!

According to topics related here I will try to translate some articles if referred to them

Old August 20th, 2011, 03:15 AM   #5014
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
There is a Spanish blog very interesting about borders and threads related.
Blogger has crossed some countries and a lot of photos are taken by himself.
Some people send him information from any corner of the world so there are more topics to write about.

This is he article he wrote about Derby border.

http://fronterasblog.wordpress.com/2...r-a-la-carcel/

It is in Spanish and I try to make a free web translation and correct it (translators aren't always perfect).

Should anyone understand this language, the blog is fantastic about borders... He talks about Baarle, some triborders (or the 4 borders at South Africa), enclaves and a lot of curiosities.
At least one article per month... sometimes more... and he has been writting for several years!!!

There is another article about the library
Hmmm. I sort of assumed they'd work out something (perhaps creating a little free-movement zone covering the two towns and requiring you to pass through customs when you leave it....) That's a bit sad.

Anyhow, here's an article from the New York Times four years ago:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/wo.../18border.html

...and one from Time from 1979:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...948520,00.html

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; August 20th, 2011 at 03:24 AM.
Old August 20th, 2011, 08:04 AM   #5015
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Since we all know that the Mexican side of the border is one of the most dangerous places in the world, having by far the highest criminal statistics of the globe, damn, I would never live in a house that, at least partially, belongs to Northern Mexico.
I think it would be the safest house in the world, with border guards patrolling between the kitchen and the attic.
Old August 20th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #5016
erxgli

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post

I don't think so.... there is a border fence in the middle of the bi-national cities
and you can't have your house in the two countries because there is a wall...

This pic was taken in the Tijuana-San Diego border

From the window of this house in Mexico, you can see the California beach

This is the Calexico (USA) -Mexicali (Mexico) Bi-national city
The name “Calexico” is a portmanteau of CaliforniaCal~” and Mexico “~exico”,
which like that of its adjacent sister city of "Mexicali" Mexico "Mexi~" and California "cali~" ,
emphasizes its importance as a border city.

erxgli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #5017
Road_UK
BANNED

How easy/difficult is it to toss drugs over that fence?
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #5018
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

From what I've read since my last post about Derby Line, I imagine the issue wouldn't be so much tossing drugs over the fence as doing so without being caught on film (and caught by Border Patrol forthwith).

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #5019
Road_UK
BANNED

Ok, so the entire length of that fence is under CCTV and being watched by the border patrol.
I suppose it's not illegal to chat with the your neigbour through that fence. What about physical contact? Can a Mexican move his hand through that fence over to the US to shake another hand? Or at least his finger tips... Or his tongue for a passionate international kiss..?
Old August 20th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #5020
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Well, I have seen several images of people playing volleyball across the Mexico-USA border fence.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways