daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #5061
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
I highly doubt that the border guards would be bothered by that, infact further down you cans see this sign

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=49.0021...104.53,,1,4.57

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=49.0021...221.42,,0,9.63

This sign certainly gives the impression that they allow people into the Peace Arch Park from there:
http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=49.0021...49.02,,1,15.55
It is my understanding that people are allowed to the park as long as they return to the same country that they came from. From the way it looks, it is perfectly possible to physically walk from 0 avenue (Canada) to A street (USA), but it is still illegal, of course. Crossing the US-Canada border is rarely a pleasant experience, so I never tried to take my time and relax before crossing the border.

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #5062
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Hallo Deutschland! Bonjour France !

[img]http://i54.************/4sbts0.jpg[/img]
Where is that place?
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #5063
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Wissenbourg (Weissenburg) ? Or in that area? Or perhaps Creuzwald? Or Saarbrucken area? Somewhere along that line anyway, north is Luxembourg - south is a bloody big river that forms the border. I like this, we should make a new game on a thread out of this: Guess the Bordercrossing.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #5064
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

+1
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #5065
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Likes (Received): 2201

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/15458...=kh.google.com

Because when you enter Denmark, you don't enter ONLY Denmark!!!

I love the fact that next to every border crossing between Germany and Denmark there are the 5 Nordic flags!!!

YES TO THE UNITED STATES OF EUROPE ♥ FREEDOM FOR NORTH KOREA
STOP SYRIAN AND IRAQI GENOCIDE ♥ SUPPORT FEMINISM AND FEMALE EDUCATION
Fabri88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #5066
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Where is that place?
All I can say is that this was the border between the Duchy of Lorraine and the County of Nassau-Saarbrücken. The Duchy of Lorraine became French in 1766 (it had been administered by French civil administrators since 1737 already). The County of Nassau-Saarbrücken was a client state of France under the French monarchy, and it was invaded by the French Revolutionary Army in 1793 and annexed to the French Republic (forming the Sarre department with other annexed territories). In 1814, at the first Treaty of Paris, it was left to France (to the great discontent of Prussia), but after Napoleon's stupid return and subsequent defeat at Waterloo in 1815 it was taken away from France and given to Prussia. In 1919 France tried to recover the border of 1814, but the Allies disagreed so France recovered only the border of 1815, but the Sarre was turned into a French protectorate as a compensation.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #5067
alce9316

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Very nice pictures.

Can you tell further about customs controls?. Strong or they let pass any tourist?
Thank you . About the customs I'd say that in Southeast Asia they were pretty "relaxed", I mean, we weren't registered even once and we didn't have any problem getting into. But I do remember that the checkpoint in the Jordan-Syrian border took forever because the Syrian officials had to check every single passport since they do not allow any tourist with an Israeli visa on them, so as long as you don't have one you should be fine, but right now with the political situation I'm not sure if crossing is that easy...
alce9316 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #5068
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by alce9316 View Post
Thank you . About the customs I'd say that in Southeast Asia they were pretty "relaxed", I mean, we weren't registered even once and we didn't have any problem getting into. But I do remember that the checkpoint in the Jordan-Syrian border took forever because the Syrian officials had to check every single passport since they do not allow any tourist with an Israeli visa on them, so as long as you don't have one you should be fine, but right now with the political situation I'm not sure if crossing is that easy...
Does Israel even stamp passports anymore, opting for stamping 'Post-It' note slips instead?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #5069
alce9316

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Does Israel even stamp passports anymore, opting for stamping 'Post-It' note slips instead?

Mike
Actually, I don't really know, never been to Israel, but I've read on some travelling forums that you may get the visa stamped on a separate sheet of paper, so you might be right. Anyone here can confirm this?
alce9316 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #5070
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabri88 View Post
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/15458...=kh.google.com

Because when you enter Denmark, you don't enter ONLY Denmark!!!

I love the fact that next to every border crossing between Germany and Denmark there are the 5 Nordic flags!!!
I like that. It really shows that you are entering a different part of Europe
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:48 AM   #5071
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by alce9316 View Post

Anyway... should you have lost your passport or expired it and required a new passport, you will never have a visa from Israel.

Should you request a new one because lost and it is not lost... you have two different passports... one to go to Israel, another to go to Syria...

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:59 AM   #5072
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

When a border is not important for football teams...

At Spain, football league should had to start last weekend but didn't because players were on strike. They prepared a strike for the first two matches (last weekend and this weekend).

Finally they met an agreement and strike will not go on this weekend. They will start the championship with match number two and found when to play match number one.

The problem is that some teams didn't want to buy plane tickets until they had assured that league starts... and it is the weekend when a lot of people comes back from holidays.

In the Major league (Primera division or Liga BBVA) there are no problems. They are lucky and in most of cases the matches are between teams of cities located near, they have good train shuttle or sometimes the team has their own plane. They are teams with a larger budget... The greater distance is from Valencia to Santander, 800 km entirely by motorway... apart of the team of Mallorca which has to go to Barcelona... but there are too many flights... and ships to go there (should they have a different destination they could find problems, but not to Barcelona)

Problems start on the Second League. Teams with a smaller budget. There are teams that uses bus for almost all journeys, except if too long (corner to corner) or, obviously, if they have to go to islands.

There are, mainly, three matches that could have problems of distance.

The team of Vigo will have to run 1.000 km to Murcia for the match. They wanted to plan a trip by plane but no seats available.

The team of Las Palmas has to go to Guadalajara, at Castilla La Mancha. They said they had no further tickets available because most of people returns from holiday on these dates... They have only the way of plane (3.000 km of ocean...) and let' see what they do. They play saturday evening.

And... the team of Huelva (the oldest in Spain) has to go to La Coruña. 950 km of motorway.

But... choose at google maps the shortest way... it will be done 90% inside Portugal. Huelva is close to border. They will cross Portugal south to north and cross to Spain again for the match.
Within Spanish roads only they will have to make 100 km more.

Football has no borders in this way, of course!!!!

Old August 26th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #5073
ApskeA
عبد الحق

Likes (Received): 111

First time that i uploaded a pic. if it doesn't work could some please explain how to upload pics??
ApskeA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #5074
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApskeA View Post

First time that i uploaded a pic. if it doesn't work could some please explain how to upload pics??
You should not post the entire page retrieved by google images, just the pic, by pressing "Afbeelding op volledige grootte". That is the url you must use.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #5075
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Should you request a new one because lost and it is not lost... you have two different passports... one to go to Israel, another to go to Syria...
It is not needed to report it as lost. In Hungary everyone can have two passportst legally, one for Israel and the other one for the rest of the world.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #5076
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

In Spain people just does not have passport.
There is an Identity card, compulsory for everyone and all citizens carry it in their pockets (some years before maybe not so often but now you have to show it everytime if paying with credit card)

It is like this

In one side, number, name, photo, scanned signature, Sex, date of Birth, date of expire and some numbers for control
In the other side, Address, name of parents, place of birth, etc...

It has one chip to operate by internet doing legal transactions (not very used but you can request an official paper in some administrations with it... or just use for operating in your bank, instead of the user and password your bank gives you).

With this document, it is allowed to move inside any country of European Union and some countries more around.
The reason is "freedom of movements within UE". Should a document is enough to move inside one country of UE, it should be enough to move anywhere of UE.
Another point is that in some countries, not used with this document, it will be easier for some cases using a passport.

But in fact, it is a document that ALL people carry (dimensions are the same than the credit card, so very easy to carry in the pocket-bag), as well few people has a passport.

In fact... my passport is expired. Should I need to used it, I will have to ask for a new one (but no need to pay taxes for new passport if I am not going to use it...)

Old August 26th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #5077
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Portugal has:

which is called a Citizen Card, which is replacing the ID card

DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #5078
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

In Spain they didn't change the name of the document... and both are legal (if no expired). Older people still uses the old document.

Old August 26th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #5079
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
In Spain people just does not have passport.
Right, since 2004 (Hungary entering EU) much less people here have a passort, than before. I myself have one since I was in Ukraine two years ago and Hungarian ID is not valid to UA. But I'm the only one in my family having a passport. As for Hungarian citizens ID card is enough for all EU member and Switzerland, Croatia, Serbia.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #5080
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

I have a Portuguese ID card and a British passport

My ID card is actually the new Citizen Card thing, but most people still call it an ID card. The citizen card has your social security, fiscal identification number and healthcare number. The old ID cars was only ID

hoitai liked this post
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways