daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #5081
Atomicus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 642

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
In Spain people just does not have passport.
Wat. People don't need it in Spain if you travel along the EU, but obviously people who need to travel outside of the EU (which aren't just a few) need a passport. Everybody in my family have a passport, myself, my girlfriend and also most of my friends :S
Atomicus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #5082
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicus View Post
Wat. People don't need it in Spain if you travel along the EU, but obviously people who need to travel outside of the EU (which aren't just a few) need a passport. Everybody in my family have a passport, myself, my girlfriend and also most of my friends :S

Yeah... you are right.

ID card is compulsory for all citizens... I think that over 14 years old... but ALL will have when 12 years old because they will need for requesting a first level grade at school.

With that ID card, as well as with other similar in other countries, it is allowed to go anywhere in European Union and other countries (Andorra, Bosnia, Croatia, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland and... Vatican city).

And for Morocco, citizens from Ceuta and Melilla an cross the border up to 75 km with only this card (for the rest, Passport).

Of course, if you want to go to Russia and besides countries, or to other continent... you will need passport.
There is no problem to have a passport. In fact, the ID card exists because when dictatory government, the interior ministry, instead of closing borders, they gave this document to anyone and passport only to people allowed to cross the border.
Today there is no problem to have it (apart of queues at the police station).

But I made one in 2004 and never used!!!. I have used it really only twice. Once at Austria, before entering UE, and second one in Tunis. The rest of times, have travelled without needing passport. I was used to carry it because (leaving at home, having always the other card because if stolen or lost, I had the back-up documentation) but really not used.

In other words... people who travels abroad from UE and those countries (this is, other continents or some countries at Europe) will require passport. The rest, do not require it.

Having ID card is compulsory, but passport is optional.

Passport number do not exist... When they write the number, they are just copying the ID card number. This is an eight numbers code (XX XXX XXX) and later a letter (used only for fiscal and tax reasons, the letter depends on the number)

I have seen people making a passport for children very young without ID card. In that case they put a provisional number before the definitive.

P.D. For travelling inside Spain there is no need to show documentation... and there is one airplane company that requires it even it is a national flight. I know cases of people who couldn't go on board with a child because no documentation, as well as people who require the police to enter with the child according the law.

Guess which company...

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #5083
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

I do wonder how much passport ownership (I know you don't technically own it, I think the queen owns mine) has gone down in Europe in the last few years. In the UK we need it for Europe but not Ireland so most people have them even if they don't travel much. Also I needed mine last week as ID when applying for a job. Not good for tourism in neighbouring countries like Ukraine and Turkey.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #5084
bogdymol
bogdymod

In Romania we use "Carte de identitate" (Identity card).

It is used for ID check inside the country, but it's also usable when traveling abroad. I was in Hungary, Austria, Czech Republic or France only with this ID card. I was close to getting inside the UK only with it, but the border guards were extremely suspicious since I'm a Romanian citizen and they also asked for my passport. Next week I will also used my ID card for entering Croatia (not a member of EU).

According to wikipedia, the Romanian ID card is valid in:
Quote:
European Union, EEA/EFTA states: Iceland Liechtenstein Norway Switzerland, and the following countries: Albania Andorra Bosnia and Herzegovina Canary Islands Croatia Faroe Islands Gibraltar Guernsey Isle of Man Jersey Macedonia Monaco Montenegro San Marino Serbia Vatican City
My passport expired last month and I've made it only because I have traveled once to Greece (in 2006, before Romania joined the EU) and once to USA. Now I don't have a valid passport and I'm not planning to get another one untill I will have to make a trip to a country that needs one.

Romanian passport:

[IMG]http://t1.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqQLYWoaATpdSfyS8YZqy_5oJqOzuwV234s_yFKPMeABfbjynj[/IMG]
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #5085
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I forgot how my passport looks like once I checked in at Paris CDG airport only with a driving licence. forgot ID card in appartment

anyway, why new EU driving licence cards don't have translations anymore? I just got new one few weeks ago, I wonder what they will understand in France...
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #5086
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg
I forgot how my passport looks like once I checked in at Paris CDG airport only with a driving licence. forgot ID card in appartment

anyway, why new EU driving licence cards don't have translations anymore? I just got new one few weeks ago, I wonder what they will understand in France...
Symbols.
Old August 27th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #5087
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Entering France!

They've finally installed the 'France' sign at the Franco-Brazilian border. I don't know whether they've also installed a 'France' sign with the 12 European stars.

[img]http://i56.************/2nbf5v8.jpg[/img]
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 01:15 AM   #5088
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

This is an interesting crossing in Miranda do Douro. The dam appears to belong to EDP and therefore is maintained by the Portuguese, note the Portuguese language sign and Portuguese chevrons on the Spanish side

http://maps.google.com/?ll=41.489999...05.41,,0,10.81

Here a very long sign put up by the Spanish customs a few metres up the road at the Spanish booth, which says that people with goods to declare must turn around to use the nearst post that they can use, which is the one in Alcanizes. I'm pretty sure that its just an pre-free movement sign, and its not the only one in the border, I also know of signs telling people to get in lane in Rosal de la Frontera, and I'm sure that there are more

http://maps.google.com/?ll=41.489179...158.33,,1,9.48

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; August 27th, 2011 at 01:21 AM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #5089
AtD
Bigger is better

Likes (Received): 1736

Are there any other external territories of EU members that have land borders? I couldn't find any.
AtD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 02:13 AM   #5090
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
This is an interesting crossing in Miranda do Douro. The dam appears to belong to EDP and therefore is maintained by the Portuguese, note the Portuguese language sign and Portuguese chevrons on the Spanish side

http://maps.google.com/?ll=41.489999...05.41,,0,10.81

Here a very long sign put up by the Spanish customs a few metres up the road at the Spanish booth, which says that people with goods to declare must turn around to use the nearst post that they can use, which is the one in Alcanizes. I'm pretty sure that its just an pre-free movement sign, and its not the only one in the border, I also know of signs telling people to get in lane in Rosal de la Frontera, and I'm sure that there are more

http://maps.google.com/?ll=41.489179...158.33,,1,9.48

The signal written in the old border customs is related to a law made in 1985, before Portugal and Spain entered in the UE.

Anyway... for any case (and not knowing laws deepthly), there are some goods which must be declared in any country (a lot of money, weapons, etc...) and there are people who may request a visa or be allowed to enter the country (because, for example, he is forbidden by a judge).

They are things that all citizens should know... and maybe the only signal that points that.

Old August 27th, 2011, 02:14 AM   #5091
Markowice10

Likes (Received): 69

The citizens of European Union can travel from Identity Card only, to Serbia, Macedonia, Montenegro and Abaniia, also.
Markowice10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 02:17 AM   #5092
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
In Romania we use "Carte de identitate" (Identity card).

It is used for ID check inside the country, but it's also usable when traveling abroad. I was in Hungary, Austria, Czech Republic or France only with this ID card. I was close to getting inside the UK only with it, but the border guards were extremely suspicious since I'm a Romanian citizen and they also asked for my passport. Next week I will also used my ID card for entering Croatia (not a member of EU).

According to wikipedia, the Romanian ID card is valid in:

My passport expired last month and I've made it only because I have traveled once to Greece (in 2006, before Romania joined the EU) and once to USA. Now I don't have a valid passport and I'm not planning to get another one untill I will have to make a trip to a country that needs one.

Romanian passport:

[IMG]http://t1.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqQLYWoaATpdSfyS8YZqy_5oJqOzuwV234s_yFKPMeABfbjynj[/IMG]

Even when not necessary, authorities recommend to use passport for those EU countries without ID card or nothing similar.

It will be interesting thinking in a commun format for ID cards that will help these movements.

An ID card is much, much simple to carry than a passport.

All EU passports have the same format (brown, 32 pages, same colours, pictures, etc...). Making something similar with driving licence or ID cards should be nice.

Old August 27th, 2011, 03:49 AM   #5093
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtD View Post
Are there any other external territories of EU members that have land borders? I couldn't find any.
French Guiana
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #5094
AtD
Bigger is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
French Guiana
Other than French Guiana. It was supposed to be a reply to brisavoine's post.

Having a think about it I can only think of Ceuta and Melilla between Spain and Morocco.

Are Ceuta and Melilla in the Schengen area?
Old August 27th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #5095
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
?
What's that about (just curious)?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #5096
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87680

What a BEAUTIFUL pics!!!

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #5097
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post

Is it similar with this one? We now use the new European driving licence here, but I have the old model (still valid untill it expires).

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Even when not necessary, authorities recommend to use passport for those EU countries without ID card or nothing similar.
I don't have a valid passport and I'm leaving in 2 days, so I will only use my ID card in Croatia.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #5098
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
The Dutch island of Sint Maarten borders Saint Martin, but it's French. Interestingly, the Netherlands is south of France there Most overseas territories of European countries (mainly France, United Kingdom and the Netherlands) are island nations and do not have land borders.

It's interesting though, that the predecessor of the EU bordered several African countries before Algeria became independent. The Netherlands bordered France (and Brazil and the United Kingdom) through Suriname before it became independent in 1975.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #5099
AtD
Bigger is better

^ Yeah Saint Martin doesn't really count, it's an internal EU border.
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #5100
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:

Apart of French Guyana, also Spain-Morocco at Ceuta and Melilla (Ceuta is only 14km away from Europe)

Tags
highways, motorways