daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #5281
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaMor View Post
Morocco/ Algeria (the algerian side)

image hosted on flickr
Is this an old pic?
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #5282
CasaMor
Africator | Moroccator

I have no idea but the border is still closed.
Old October 6th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #5283
alserrod
Bienvenue Ó Saragosse

Are plans to have border opened there?

(JosÚ A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #5284
alserrod
Bienvenue Ó Saragosse

A little off-topic about football.
In my last posts I have talked about how a long journey for a Spanish team is 85% inside Portugal and about the matches between the teams of Ceuta and Melilla where because a faster and cheaper travel.

Sport sometimes have opened borders, or have made to see them from a different point of view.

A lot of people maybe will remember the match in the football world cup between Western Germany and Eastern Germany at Hamburg (1974).

More recent are USA-Iran in 1998, for instance...

I wanted to talk about one more...
I think (have to check) that for clasifying to World Cup in 1966, Spain and Yugoslavia had to play between them.

Problem?. NO kind of relations between them. There were no relationship, no possibility (and no matter since then) that a citizen of Yugoslavia went to Spain and upside down.

But... they had to play two matched, one at Belgrade, other at Madrid.

How?. How to get the documentation?. What to do in case of problems?.
It was a problem that FIFA didn't take at all (it is your own bussiness if you have a problem with a different country but if you have to play... should you play, ok, should you do not play, you are out).
First option was to play both matched in a third country, but later, the French government offer a negotiation. They made visa valid for players in both countries and they offered their embassies at Madrid and Belgrade for any trouble. Should they have any question, they had to go to the French embassy.

It was the first time that a citizen of one country entered in the other in a lot of years...

Some years ago I visited Croatia and should want to repeat!!!!! Much easier now

Old October 7th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #5285
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
A little off-topic about football.
In my last posts I have talked about how a long journey for a Spanish team is 85% inside Portugal and about the matches between the teams of Ceuta and Melilla where because a faster and cheaper travel.

Sport sometimes have opened borders, or have made to see them from a different point of view.

A lot of people maybe will remember the match in the football world cup between Western Germany and Eastern Germany at Hamburg (1974).

More recent are USA-Iran in 1998, for instance...

I wanted to talk about one more...
I think (have to check) that for clasifying to World Cup in 1966, Spain and Yugoslavia had to play between them.

Problem?. NO kind of relations between them. There were no relationship, no possibility (and no matter since then) that a citizen of Yugoslavia went to Spain and upside down.

But... they had to play two matched, one at Belgrade, other at Madrid.

How?. How to get the documentation?. What to do in case of problems?.
It was a problem that FIFA didn't take at all (it is your own bussiness if you have a problem with a different country but if you have to play... should you play, ok, should you do not play, you are out).
First option was to play both matched in a third country, but later, the French government offer a negotiation. They made visa valid for players in both countries and they offered their embassies at Madrid and Belgrade for any trouble. Should they have any question, they had to go to the French embassy.

It was the first time that a citizen of one country entered in the other in a lot of years...

Some years ago I visited Croatia and should want to repeat!!!!! Much easier now
Why there were problems between Spain and Yugoslavia? Spain was part of the western block and Yugoslavia was neutral.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #5286
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Why there were problems between Spain and Yugoslavia? Spain was part of the western block and Yugoslavia was neutral.
1946 was, I think, before the Yugo-Soviet split and so Yugoslavia would still have been in the Soviet block then.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #5287
alserrod
Bienvenue Ó Saragosse

Spain was, until 1975, with a fascist government

As a little example, comunist party was allowed in 1977, just before the first free elections.

It was about 1971 when the relations with USSR began (nevertheless there was direct flight Madrid-Moscow). Both countries opened embassies and a lot of people from forbidden organizations liked to have a walk near the USSR embassy at Madrid... because it was the only place in all the country with that flag and the symbols!.
Later, in a few years, all eastern European countries opened embassies at Madrid and upside down

But several years before, having a single international football match managed by FIFA between Yugoslavia and Spain was near impossible... It was possible, but thanks to French diplomacy.

Old October 9th, 2011, 02:04 AM   #5288
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

del
Old October 9th, 2011, 03:52 AM   #5289
Oponopono

Likes (Received): 1615

alserrod, it happened before to Moscow, no less and vice-versa.

In the European Nations' Cup of 1964 the Spanish National Team along with several supporters went to Moscow for a game with the Russian National Team. One interesting point here is that the Spanish were very, very noisy in Moscow but the Russian authorities were under strict orders to allow this kind of behaviour to the Spanish fans. The finals took place in Madrid on June 21st 1964 at Santiago Bernabeu Stadium. The Spanish selection won and Franco was present. His only question was if he would be required to salute the captain of the winning team and give him the trophy. When he was told that those weren't his duties but the UEFA (or FIFA? Something like that) president's he decided to go to the stadium and see the game.

During the qualification phase for the 1964 Cup, Spain received Romania in Madrid on November 1st 1962 and went to Bucarest on November 25th.

The semi-finals saw Hungary playing with Spain in Madrid and Denmark with the Soviet Union in Barcelona, both on June 17th. The finals were, as mentioned above, between Spain and the Soviet Union on Bernabeu's Stadium on June 21st 1964.

On the previous European Nations' Cup of 1960, then, yes, Franco did not allow the Spanish Team to visit Moscow but shortly after in 1962 he was ok with the team going to Rumania along with several supporters.

Last edited by Oponopono; October 9th, 2011 at 04:04 AM.
Oponopono no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #5290
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

If you com from Vienna to Budapest, on motorway A4 in Austria, before border station Nickelsdorf/Hegyeshalom there is a speed limit of 100 km/h several kilometers long, then 80 km/h some other kilometers long.
Since there's no border control any more, no possibility for a jam, road quality does not force such limits, so I think this limitation has no sense and is against the Schengen treaty which disallows to create speed limits which are not based on traffic safety.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #5291
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
If you com from Vienna to Budapest, on motorway A4 in Austria, before border station Nickelsdorf/Hegyeshalom there is a speed limit of 100 km/h several kilometers long, then 80 km/h some other kilometers long.
Since there's no border control any more, no possibility for a jam, road quality does not force such limits, so I think this limitation has no sense and is against the Schengen treaty which disallows to create speed limits which are not based on traffic safety.
I don't see the speed limits you told us about. Indeed, there is a lower speed limit right at the border crossing, but that's because the check booths are still there and the motorway has some tight curves. After exiting that gas station there is a sign that says that all restrictions are lifted.

Video recorded in February this year.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #5292
Nordic20T

Likes (Received): 55

@bogdymol
The speed limit Attus is talking about is only on the austrian side. Your video shows the opposite direction.
Nordic20T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #5293
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic20T View Post
@bogdymol
The speed limit Attus is talking about is only on the austrian side. Your video shows the opposite direction.
Oh... now I think I can remember. The last few km untill the border had a lower speed limit in Austria. Unfortunatelly I didn't record a video in that direction
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #5294
Nordic20T

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Oh... now I think I can remember. The last few km untill the border had a lower speed limit in Austria.
After the speed limit-sign is a left turn, then a bridge over the motorway and hidden behind the bridge is a speed camera. Typical for Austria...
Nordic20T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #5295
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Likes (Received): 29

In the beginning of this video you'll see a border crossing France into Belgium nearby Longwy (French N52 - Belgian A28), speed limit = 10km/h.
Daviedoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #5296
alserrod
Bienvenue Ó Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oponopono View Post
alserrod, it happened before to Moscow, no less and vice-versa.

In the European Nations' Cup of 1964 the Spanish National Team along with several supporters went to Moscow for a game with the Russian National Team. One interesting point here is that the Spanish were very, very noisy in Moscow but the Russian authorities were under strict orders to allow this kind of behaviour to the Spanish fans. The finals took place in Madrid on June 21st 1964 at Santiago Bernabeu Stadium. The Spanish selection won and Franco was present. His only question was if he would be required to salute the captain of the winning team and give him the trophy.

off-topic

I do not know how I could forget that "detail".
The second goal in the final was scored by Marcelino, a player from the team of my city.
Thanks to him, his team won two Cups and one Uefa Cup (apart of the European Cup for Spain) in just a few years.

Old October 11th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #5297
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Austria has lowered speedlimits on all motorway borders I know of. At Kufstein it's 100 km/h, but inbound it's cancelled the moment you cross the border - as only German signs display them. Germany bound there is a lowered speedlimit of 100 km/h after exit Kufstein Sud. Salzburg and Suben crossings both have 60 km/h limits for no apparent reason - with signs displayed on both sides of the border stating : Staatsgrenze in Austria and Bundesgrenze in Germany. Italian border at Brenner also has 60 km/h.

Germany/France at Saarbruecken: 60 km/h.
Belgium/France: 10 km/h.
All motorway border crossings between Netherlands and Belgium have no lowered speed limits. No lowered limits on most crossings between Netherlands and Germany, but Heerlen/Aachen imposes a 80 km/h limit. No lowered limits between Belgium/France at Adinkerke. Well, there is at the moment - but that's because of roadworks on the Belgian side (again after three years. That road didn't last long, great job, Belgians!)
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 03:59 AM   #5298
erxgli

Likes (Received): 17

Which is the busiest border crossing in the world? and how many people cross the border each year??????

I'm just talking about legal inmigration
erxgli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #5299
bogdymol
bogdymod

San Diego (USA) / Tijuana (Mexico)... or maybe German/Austrian border near Salzburg? Or some crossing between Netherlands and Belgium?
Old October 14th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #5300
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

^ I heard it was one of the B/NL ones. There are a lot of people who commute across it daily, along with a massive amount of freight and long distance travellers. The US ones look busy but it takes them a long time to process each car, leading to tailbacks.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways