daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #5421
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I'd be willing to bet that that Londoner Avenue was named after someone called Londoner.

On the other hand, Brits say things like "Californian wines" where an American would say "California wines." We don't use "Californian" as an adjective, just as a noun meaning "person from California."
Does that make grammatical scene? I guess it does, I've never heard that before though
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #5422
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

http://www.discovercaliforniawine.com/learn/about

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #5423
piotr71

Those were the days...

http://www.berlin-brigade.de/us-ins/us-ein6.html
Old November 16th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #5424
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9161

The question about Belgium and Netherlands and south/north reminded me of the situation of the new Danube bridge at Vidin-Calafat between Bulgaria and Romania, which is due to open at the end of next year. It's south end is on Romanian soil and it's north end - on Bulgarian soil. So it's the only border crossing where Romania is to the south of Bulgaria Except maybe the ferryboat which now serves the connection Vidin-Calafat.
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #5425
Kenien
Urbanist

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The border follows older agricultural land borders. The canal was probably digged later than the border was established. Maastricht later on consumed more agricultural land and moved to the border.
Not true, the border is the range of the canons from the defense wall of Maastricht.
Old November 17th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #5426
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

New Luxembourgish road crossing briefly into France at Belval:

Last edited by Ingenioren; November 17th, 2011 at 04:59 PM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #5427
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

It goes from Luxembourg to France and back into Luxembourg? So it's like the Slovenian (ex-Yugoslav) road through Italy?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #5428
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

German - Polish border on Usedom island in the Baltic sea before Poland's accession to Schengen.

Now there aren't borders anymore but there are still some problems during summer because naturism is legal only in the German side but not everybody know it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #5429
italystf

It seems that the North-South Korea border isn't totally close
http://www.hyundai-asan.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaesong_Industrial_Region
Old November 20th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #5430
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1191

Motorway border, Rheinfelden (CH) -> Rheinfelden (D)

First German overhead sign

Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #5431
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

Iran Turkey Border
Of course now we can travel without visa

The first distance sign on E-80

Nima-Farid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #5432
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1191

What is written on the three-row sign visible in the center of the first and third pic?
Why are so many Turks crossing into Iran (pic 3 - only TR plates visible..)?
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #5433
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

it says pasport control passengers exit.
Nima-Farid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 07:18 PM   #5434
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

The strictest and most stringent international border still remaining in Europe: the border between the City of Paris and the barbarian lands. Even Schengen could not remove it.

[img]http://i41.************/2ng97aa.png[/img]
(picture by Minato Ku)
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 10:25 PM   #5435
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
The strictest and most stringent international border still remaining in Europe: the border between the City of Paris and the barbarian lands. Even Schengen could not remove it.
Is it one of the so called banlieues, poor boroughts inhabitated mostly by North African with high crime levels and frequent uprisings?
Old December 1st, 2011, 10:57 PM   #5436
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

You've watched too much TV.

Even in the suburbs with the highest percentages of immigrants, there aren't "frequent uprisings". And the crime levels would seem very mild compared to large US cities.

Anyway, the municipality just across the border in this picture is not one with particularily many immigrants. In 2008 only 13.1% of the population there were immigrants. In comparison, in the City of Paris there were 20.2% of immigrants in 2008.

This municipality also contains one of the business districts of Paris, with the headquarters of France24 and several other media companies. There are 47,048 jobs located in this municipality (as of 2008), which is almost one-third the number of jobs at La Défense.

As for poverty, this municipality is not poor by any standard. The fiscal income of the households in this municipality is higher than in the City of Paris.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 11:03 PM   #5437
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

American crime rates have been dropping dramatically for the last 20 years. Meanwhile, cities like Saint-Denis think an appropriate way to protest the death penalty in the United States (as if that's their business) is to name streets after convicted murderers of police officers: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...m&z=19&vpsrc=6 But if an American criticizes anything in France, it's "french bashing" - usually (mis-)spelled like that.

If there's one place in France I'll never set foot, it's there. And the whole country can spend less time congratulating itself for its moral superiority to a country that lost thousands of lives for it.

'k?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 11:29 PM   #5438
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
American crime rates have been dropping dramatically for the last 20 years. Meanwhile, cities like Saint-Denis think an appropriate way to protest the death penalty in the United States (as if that's their business) is to name streets after convicted murderers of police officers: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...m&z=19&vpsrc=6 But if an American criticizes anything in France, it's "french bashing" - usually (mis-)spelled like that.

If there's one place in France I'll never set foot, it's there. And the whole country can spend less time congratulating itself for its moral superiority to a country that lost thousands of lives for it.
I agree 100% with you. Some parisian suburbs are worse than Camden, New Jersey (living in Philadelphia you should know what I mean). Even if apparently calm, the situation can degenerate very easily like happened in 2005...
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 11:35 PM   #5439
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
You've watched too much TV.

Even in the suburbs with the highest percentages of immigrants, there aren't "frequent uprisings". And the crime levels would seem very mild compared to large US cities.

Anyway, the municipality just across the border in this picture is not one with particularily many immigrants. In 2008 only 13.1% of the population there were immigrants. In comparison, in the City of Paris there were 20.2% of immigrants in 2008.

This municipality also contains one of the business districts of Paris, with the headquarters of France24 and several other media companies. There are 47,048 jobs located in this municipality (as of 2008), which is almost one-third the number of jobs at La Défense.

As for poverty, this municipality is not poor by any standard. The fiscal income of the households in this municipality is higher than in the City of Paris.
I know that Paris has 11 millions people and only 2 millions of them live in the proper municipality. So, off ourse not all suburbs are poor and dangerous. But since you wrote that it was a "strong border" I supposed that it was one of them.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 12:26 AM   #5440
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84 View Post
I agree 100% with you. Some parisian suburbs are worse than Camden, New Jersey (living in Philadelphia you should know what I mean). Even if apparently calm, the situation can degenerate very easily like happened in 2005...
Worse than Camden.
The problem is not that you live in Philly but that you never set a foot in the parisian suburbs, you talk about.
Only one people died during the 2005 riot, while 34 people were killed in 2005 in Camden.
34 people killed in a tiny municipality of 77,000 inhabitants.
By comparaison, the number of murder AND attempted murder was only of 92 in Seine Saint Denis in 2009, a departement with 1.5 million inhabitants.

Last edited by Minato ku; December 2nd, 2011 at 12:44 AM.
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways