daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 4th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #5461
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Or Osimo Street, a Slovenian road which cuts into Italian territory with no exits.
I wonder how many such roads there are in the world. I never hear about them.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #5462
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Or Osimo Street, a Slovenian road which cuts into Italian territory with no exits.
It litteraly does cut. Slovenian part is from the right the the tree in the middle, then there's Italian one all covered by concrete, cleary visible.

image hosted on flickr

26112011290 par d.hofburg, sur Flickr
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #5463
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I wonder how many such roads there are in the world. I never hear about them.

At Andorra there is "half" of them.

The little village of Os de Civis is in Spain and part of the municipality located southern Andorra.
Going there is possible only with a very good off-road car on summer, trekking (even mountaining), helicopter... or crossing the country of Andorra.

Entering Andorra is special. They require the same documentation than for any other country. This is... for a Spanish or French citizen (it has borders with both countries) it is enough with the ID card, no need the passport.
But... for a non EU citizen they apply the normal documentation for all non-EU countries.
There are not too many passport controls in the border. In fact one summer I crossed the border several times and never asked for passport but... coming back to Spain ALWAYS baggage control (Andorra is a full duty free country and you have to declare anything you buy).

But... should a citizen requires a Visa to enter Schengen territory, they need a Visa to exit it for entering Andorra. In fact, it is not Schengen territory. There are not too many cases... but the police at the border have the full list of documents that may require to any citizen.

There is a treaty with Spain for allowing any emergency vehicle for three kilometres in the main road CG-1 (there are four "main roads" in the country) and turning left to Os de Civis with no control in the border.

Only police or army vehicles are out of that treaty. Once that police had to arrive there... they made by helicopter.

The little road finish at Os de Civis. There is no signal about where the border is. This is... when Andorra finish and start Spain again, no flags, no indications about countries, etc...

You have to pay attention, for example, that if you ask for a bill in the restaurant, the phone number will put +34 XXXXX instead of +376 XXXX (yeah... calling from Os de Civis to an Andorran village located just some kilometres away is more expensive than calling to Finland because it is not part of EU), and the bill will include VAT (there is no VAT at Andorra)

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #5464
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2082

The so-called Osimo street I was talking about is a bit different, though. It is a road built by Italians but managed by Slovenes, with a Slovenian designation, and where Italian police has no jurisdiction. It is indeed fully Slovenian, even if cuts into Italy:

http://maps.google.it/maps?q=45.9818...src=0&t=m&z=14

Last edited by g.spinoza; December 5th, 2011 at 05:08 PM.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #5465
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
It litteraly does cut. Slovenian part is from the right the the tree in the middle, then there's Italian one all covered by concrete, cleary visible.

image hosted on flickr

26112011290 par d.hofburg, sur Flickr
Is that pic taken from Via del Monte Santo - Solkan border crossing (the northernmost border crossing in Gorizia urban area)?
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #5466
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
The so-called Osimo street I was talking about is a bit different, though. It is a road built but Italians but managed by Slovenes, with a Slovenian designation, and where Italian police has no jurisdiction. It is indeed fully Slovenian, even if cuts into Italy:

http://maps.google.it/maps?q=45.9818...src=0&t=m&z=14
According to wikipedia that section is managed by Slovenia but have an Italian road number (NSA55).

Map:

Other googled pics:

The fence dividing the road by the rest of Italy was like an international border.

Last edited by italystf; December 5th, 2011 at 05:15 PM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #5467
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Is the surface of the road Slovenian territory? If e.g. somebody commits a crime on the road, will the trial be in Slovenia?
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #5468
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I'm not so sure about this, but I think that the road remains Italian territory, with a sort of "extraterritorial" status. I'm trying to read the actual Osimo treaty, which established boundaries between Italy and Yugoslavia, but it's huge and written in legalese...
Old December 5th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #5469
MattiG

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
I'm not so sure about this, but I think that the road remains Italian territory, with a sort of "extraterritorial" status. I'm trying to read the actual Osimo treaty, which established boundaries between Italy and Yugoslavia, but it's huge and written in legalese...
What I have understood, the land is Italian territory, but the treaty authorizes the Yugoslavian police and military bodies to control the road. Slovenia has declared it recognizes the treaty be valid after the failure of Yugoslavia.

The original text of the Treaty of Osimo BTW is written in French...
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #5470
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

There were about 44 small bridges before WW2 connecting Hungarian and Slovak villages. Now some of them are being reconstructed. They just opened new bridge between Rároš (SK) and Rárospuszta (H), lack of infrastructure is probably one of the reason why these southern regions are so poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Nie je to síce diaľnica, ale je to zaujímavý kúsok cesty. Nový hraničný most cez Ipeľ medzi obcami Rároš a Rárospuszta:

http://www.railtrains.sk/modules/AMS...hp?storyid=725

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #5471
bogdymol
bogdymod

MK & SR ? wtf?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #5472
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Magyar Köztársaság + Slovenská republika
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #5473
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

True it can be confusing for tourists. "HU/SK" (as they did on some parts on the border towns between Belgium and the Netherlands) or "H/SK" would've been more logical

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #5474
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
According to wikipedia that section is managed by Slovenia but have an Italian road number (NSA55).
But it has Slovenian signs and a Slovenian road number on the place (R2-402). Here are my pics of the road.
Old December 5th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #5475
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Verso, do you know whether this road continues to be mantained by Italy or Slovenia stepped in?
Old December 5th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #5476
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post

True it can be confusing for tourists. "HU/SK" (as they did on some parts on the border towns between Belgium and the Netherlands) or "H/SK" would've been more logical
In case of Slovakia it still makes sense: SR - Slovak Republic. Btw we usually use both SK and SR, SK stands for Slovensko so it's less formal.

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #5477
Nordic20T

Likes (Received): 55

del

Last edited by Nordic20T; December 15th, 2011 at 11:46 PM.
Nordic20T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:36 AM   #5478
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Verso, do you know whether this road continues to be mantained by Italy or Slovenia stepped in?
Sorry, I don't know that.
Old December 6th, 2011, 03:03 AM   #5479
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Is that pic taken from Via del Monte Santo - Solkan border crossing (the northernmost border crossing in Gorizia urban area)?
yes. I hope they will remove the fence once.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #5480
phiberoptik
Şerif

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
I think that's logical that Slovenia maintain this road because there is no direct connection to Italian road network
phiberoptik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways