daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #541
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

anyway, i think that even US - MEX is child's play comparing to entrances to Belarus or Russia with car. Ukraine is sometimes complicated, sometimes not at all
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #542
elgoyo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
anyway, i think that even US - MEX is child's play comparing to entrances to Belarus or Russia with car. Ukraine is sometimes complicated, sometimes not at all
Really? ive never heard about Rusia-Belarus, is the waiting long and visa control tight???
elgoyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #543
x-type
con los terroristas

actually, i meant about enterin Belarus or Russia (so even at Poland-Belarus border). they often ask for impossible papers. birocracy in its full performance i remember one trip story about guy who went to Belarus on motorbike, he spent 7 hrs at border, Belarussians who were entering into country have been bagging policmen to let himn in, but they asked for bloody paper and he couldn't do anything. and they were not hurrying at all to make that paper for him
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #544
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Russia-Belarus crossing seems to be not difficult at all (from what I've heard)
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #545
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

There is hardly any control at all between Russia and Belarus. Entering Russia or Ukraine from Poland or Slovakia (speaking from pre-Shenghen experience) may take up to several hours, but generally it is anywhere from 1 to 3 hours depending on the time of the day. Bureaucracy is higher in post-Soviet countries, so upon crossing the border they require a bunch of documents including but not limited to Passport, car registration, driving license, and custom forms.

Crossing Canada-USA border required only Green Cards and Passports, but it also takes anywhere between 30 min to 1 hour because of the traffic and tight control. Crossing into Canada is always faster because Canadians are apparently not paranoid about their national security.
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #546
Timon91
Error

I've crossed the US-Canadian border several times over land (3 times, last time in 2003), and what I remember of it (not a lot) is that the border guards where quite relaxed and that it didn't take a lot of time. Ok, it was a tiny crossing in east Washington state, but they can still be difficult.
Btw: there is some nice travel report from some dutch people on the internet. They went to St. Petersburg by car, and back (2005). Their site, which is in dutch, is www.wijoptweb.nl It gives a nice discription of the border crossing near Narva (Estonia-Russia) and their way back into Finland.
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #547
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ Unfortunately, this is the only border crossing they made a photo of (Germany/Poland):

Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #548
Timon91
Error

They have one of the Polish-Lithuanian border and that's it. But there is a very detailed description of the Estonian-Russian border crossing (in dutch).
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #549
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ Then this must be the border crossing between Poland and Lithuania:

Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #550
Timon91
Error

Yes
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #551
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgoyo View Post
Really? ive never heard about Rusia-Belarus, is the waiting long and visa control tight???
Finland-Russia takes you several hours. Trucks can wait for days and there are queues going back dozens of km.
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #552
x-type
con los terroristas

i think that the largest problem at entering Russia or Belarus is the fact that you must buy their insurance and some kinds od ata carneets which make them sure that you'll not sell your property in their country. of course, beside visas and other stuff
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:54 PM   #553
pmaciej7
Cooperator Veritatis

Harrachov - Jakuszyce, CZ-PL.

pmaciej7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #554
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have the honour to present the first fully liquidated border of the Republic of Poland

PL/D Świnoujście/Ahlbeck

in the meantime german sleuth car drove by...

...and customs officials started to check those wielding too many bags

same place:

Last edited by PLH; June 4th, 2008 at 05:07 PM.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #555
pmaciej7
Cooperator Veritatis

Important thing is, that this crossing in pre-Schengen times was only for pedestrians/cyclists. For drivers distance from Ahlbeck to Świnoujście was ~220 km. Like this:

pmaciej7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #556
Timon91
Error

Great pics!
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #557
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Likes (Received): 4

The border between the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland (which is the only international land border for either country) isn't really identifiable, other than changes in the road markings and signage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republi...ing_the_Border

You have never had to show your passport or such at this border, as the UK and the ROI are both part of the Common Travel Area, which covers the British Isles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area

Last edited by Manchester Planner; June 4th, 2008 at 10:11 PM.
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #558
Timon91
Error

I almost crossed it once (to get petrol in Ireland), but at last we decided we didn't really have to. A pity, because it isn't a border you hear a lot from.
Old June 4th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #559
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 27

Sometimes they do do the odd check, especially on the trains. People are asked to produce ID, despite the fact that in neither the Republic or the North do you have to have ID with you at any time. So its a bit of a legal oddity.

With such an open border tho, you get some weirdness, like a Chinese woman who was deported because she tried to get the bus to Dublin Airport to fly home. She didnt have a visa for the Republic so she was sent back to the north!
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #560
ardmacha

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
A pity, because it isn't a border you hear a lot from.
Ireland is also one of the few remaining examples, perhaps Cyprus is the other one, with a border inside a country. Given the changes elsewhere in Europe it is odd that this common travel area is much less satisfactory than Schengen for non EU citizens, as there is no common visa, as the previous example of the Chinese lady indicated.

This is one view (from Sabre website) the sign with miles in the foreground is in Northern Ireland, this is an odd sign as it has only the ROI road number. The speed limit sign is the border and the sign behind that has the distances in Km follwed by a "speed limit in Km per Hour sign"

On small roads there is usually no marking of any sort, but the conversion of the Republic of Ireland to Km speed limits about 3 years ago meant that some speed limit signs appeared when travelling southwards.

Last edited by ardmacha; June 5th, 2008 at 01:46 AM.
ardmacha no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways