daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 19th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #5581
brisavoine
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: desconocida
Posts: 18,049
Likes (Received): 2346

The END of France (as of June 2011).

[img]http://i43.************/352gf7p.png[/img]
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #5582
gabrielbabb
Registered User
 
gabrielbabb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mexico City CDMX
Posts: 2,570
Likes (Received): 1857

MEXICO - USA about 3500 km long
Tijuana - San Diego

This is the traffic in Mexico (almost all the picture) going to USA (at the bottom of the picture)


This is from USA going to Mexico





Natural border Mexico - Guatemala about 1,300 km long, Suchiate River
gabrielbabb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #5583
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
There is no fence on both Russian and Ukrainian border, only Belarus put up one, but only os some sections.

Even though, it is unwise to step into Russian or Belarussian territory "just for fun" or you may end up being locked up for a night.
I once left illegally the Schengen area. It was in 2006 and we were hiking in the mountanis near Cividale del Friuli. We walked few meters inside Slovenia (border was\is marked by borderstones) and then back to Italy. In that period the worst who could happen was a fine, but my father told me that someone who did the same in 1979 was detained for a week in Koper and was released only after the interference of the Italian embassy in Belgrade. He couldn't visit again Yugoslavia until its breakup in 1991. There were rumors that the government of People's Federal Republic of Yugoslavia used to pay extra money to their border policemen if they managed to capture someone entering illegally (often for mistake) in their territory.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #5584
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Likes (Received): 2186

Other pics of Baarle Hertog\Baarle Nassau:




image hosted on flickr






Between Herzogenrath (D) and Kerkrade (NL)


Restaurant across the SLO-HR border (external EU border!)

image hosted on flickr


yellow line is the border





The photo that everybody who visit Gorizia take:


This is the island of Saint Martin\Sint Marteen in the Caribbeans, split between France and the Netherlands. The island isn't part of Schengen area but there aren't border checks between the two areas. On the French side they use €, while on the Dutch one they use the Guilden of Dutch Antilles, although € is also accepted. Both sides also accept the US dollar.

There is a legend about this border: in 1648 a Frenchmen and a Dutchmen were taken to a beach of that island and they had to run along the shoreline until they will meet again. The line between where they started and where they will meet would be the border. But the Dutchmen was drunk so he couldn't run fast, so the Dutch part is smaller than the French one.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #5585
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Likes (Received): 2186

After WWII the village of Claviere, Piedmont, Italy, was cut in 2 parts by the new Italian - French border (near Monginevro pass). In 1975, with an agreement between the two countries the border was changed leaving the entire village in Italy.

italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #5586
Surel
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,702
Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
There is a legend about this border: in 1648 a Frenchmen and a Dutchmen were taken to a beach of that island and they had to run along the shoreline until they will meet again. The line between where they started and where they will meet would be the border. But the Dutchmen was drunk so he couldn't run fast, so the Dutch part is smaller than the French one.
Or the Frenchmen did not run along the coast. He cheated and went straight to the other side of the island .
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #5587
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable
 
GROBIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Francilien délocalisé, issu de la diversité
Posts: 712
Likes (Received): 1607



Those B-NL pics are amazing ! I wonder how the addresses of these people & shops look, & where they pay their taxes ? In both countries ??? Double taxation ?

& about the HR-SLO restaurant: looks like despite the prohibition from the Croatian side, customers from both sides come, right ? & of course, the same question as the first (address ? Tax paying ?)

There was a similar situation with an Austrian guy whose house was partly on the Czech side. After years fighting double taxation, he destroyed the part of his house that was on the Czech Republic - fed up with years of procedures going nowhere !
__________________
Everyone smiles in the same language.
Self-called tolerant people tend to be tolerant only with people with similar opinions & call others "retards".


Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #5588
bogdymol
bogdymod
 
bogdymol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,185

Do people from both sides come at that restaurant in Croatia/Slovenia? If yes, how is it done. There are still border checks between this 2 countries.
__________________
Lived, Been, Drove in: A B BG BiH CH CZ D DK E F FIN FL GBZ GR H HR I IRL L M MNE P PL RO RSM S SK SLO SRB UK V
+ Australia, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, United Arab Emirates & United States of America
my clinched highways
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #5589
DanielFigFoz
Registered User
 
DanielFigFoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 4,433
Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Do people from both sides come at that restaurant in Croatia/Slovenia? If yes, how is it done. There are still border checks between this 2 countries.
Probably not very well enforced
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #5590
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American
 
mgk920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Appleton, WI USA
Posts: 2,583
Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
This is the island of Saint Martin\Sint Marteen in the Caribbeans, split between France and the Netherlands. The island isn't part of Schengen area but there aren't border checks between the two areas. On the French side they use €, while on the Dutch one they use the Guilden of Dutch Antilles, although € is also accepted. Both sides also accept the US dollar.

There is a legend about this border: in 1648 a Frenchmen and a Dutchmen were taken to a beach of that island and they had to run along the shoreline until they will meet again. The line between where they started and where they will meet would be the border. But the Dutchmen was drunk so he couldn't run fast, so the Dutch part is smaller than the French one.
Interesting here is that the Dutch side is currently in the process of joining World Zone 1 for telephone numbering purposes. When all is complete later this year (scheduled for September), their phone numbers will change from +599 to +1-721, using the same country code and number pool as Canada, the USA and several other places in the Caribbean.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #5591
phiberoptik
Şerif
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Zagreb
Posts: 237
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post


Those B-NL pics are amazing ! I wonder how the addresses of these people & shops look, & where they pay their taxes ? In both countries ??? Double taxation ?

& about the HR-SLO restaurant: looks like despite the prohibition from the Croatian side, customers from both sides come, right ? & of course, the same question as the first (address ? Tax paying ?)

There was a similar situation with an Austrian guy whose house was partly on the Czech side. After years fighting double taxation, he destroyed the part of his house that was on the Czech Republic - fed up with years of procedures going nowhere !
What do you mean by prohibition from Cro side?
That is croatian restaurant (owners are from croatia) but entrance is from SLO. You need valid passport or ID to enter restaurant because strict Schengen enforcment. Address is croatian, they're paying croatian tax.

From time to time people make a reservation for table and than call later to cancel it because someone doesn't have valid ID.

And many people from ex-Yu are coming to that restaurant because it was one of the best restaurant in all ex-Yu. Ex-owner knew many people from outside so many foreigners also coming in this restaurant
phiberoptik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #5592
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin
 
g.spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Torino
Posts: 9,507
Likes (Received): 2114

I don't understand why Cro and Slo don't agree to a slight modification of the borders. I bet Slo will not be affected by the loss of 50 sq meters of territory...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #5593
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I don't understand why Cro and Slo don't agree to a slight modification of the borders. I bet Slo will not be affected by the loss of 50 sq meters of territory...
Border disputes between SLO and HR (not only here but also near the coast) have been the main obstacle towards Croatia's EU membership.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #5594
phiberoptik
Şerif
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Zagreb
Posts: 237
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I don't understand why Cro and Slo don't agree to a slight modification of the borders. I bet Slo will not be affected by the loss of 50 sq meters of territory...
We Balkans always need someone from outside to solve our problems. Border disputes are now on Arbitral Tribune with one Croatian, one Slovenian and I think 3 European expetrs in
phiberoptik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #5595
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin
 
g.spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Torino
Posts: 9,507
Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Border disputes between SLO and HR (not only here but also near the coast) have been the main obstacle towards Croatia's EU membership.
I know, especially the domestic/international sea corridor problem. But this one about one house should be no obstacle. First remove the non-problems, then you can go on to the serious issues...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #5596
kreden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 2,556
Likes (Received): 589

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiberoptik View Post
What do you mean by prohibition from Cro side?
That is croatian restaurant (owners are from croatia) but entrance is from SLO. You need valid passport or ID to enter restaurant because strict Schengen enforcment. Address is croatian, they're paying croatian tax.

From time to time people make a reservation for table and than call later to cancel it because someone doesn't have valid ID.

And many people from ex-Yu are coming to that restaurant because it was one of the best restaurant in all ex-Yu. Ex-owner knew many people from outside so many foreigners also coming in this restaurant
You sure this is Croatian restaurant? On http://www.slovenia.info/?gostilne=3453&lng=2 they have Slovenian address, also company is in Slovenian business register: http://www.bizi.si/BLAZENKA-KALIN-S-P/
kreden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #5597
Coccodrillo
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 7,200
Likes (Received): 768

Some other euroborders, between...

...Ponte Tresa and Ponte Tresa:



...Fornasette and Fornasette:



...St Gingolph and St Gingolph:



There are many other split or twin towns, sometimes with a similar name, sometimes not: Chiasso-Ponte Chiasso, Gorizia-Nova Gorica ("New Gorizia"), Baarle Hertog-Baarle Nassau, Genève-Annemasse, Frankfurt am Oder-Slubice, ...
__________________
1.6.2016: Basistunnel!

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #5598
Gyorgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 461
Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreden View Post
You sure this is Croatian restaurant? On http://www.slovenia.info/?gostilne=3453&lng=2 they have Slovenian address, also company is in Slovenian business register: http://www.bizi.si/BLAZENKA-KALIN-S-P/
That's how Croatia expand's
Gyorgy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #5599
Blaskovitz
Registered User
 
Blaskovitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Natchnienie Infrastruktury
Posts: 464
Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Some other euroborders, between...

...Ponte Tresa and Ponte Tresa:



...Fornasette and Fornasette:



...St Gingolph and St Gingolph:



There are many other split or twin towns, sometimes with a similar name, sometimes not: Chiasso-Ponte Chiasso, Gorizia-Nova Gorica ("New Gorizia"), Baarle Hertog-Baarle Nassau, Genève-Annemasse, Frankfurt am Oder-Slubice, ...
Guben/Gubin, Cieszyn/Těšín etc
__________________
Sygnatury brak... będzie potem jak dorośnie i zdecyduje o swojej przyszłości


▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

Silesia Superior
Blaskovitz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #5600
x-type
con los terroristas
 
x-type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bjelovar [HR]
Posts: 13,472
Likes (Received): 3445

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreden View Post
You sure this is Croatian restaurant? On http://www.slovenia.info/?gostilne=3453&lng=2 they have Slovenian address, also company is in Slovenian business register: http://www.bizi.si/BLAZENKA-KALIN-S-P/
true. but their backyard is in Croatian register
__________________
Svaki dan sanjam autobahn...
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
highways, motorways

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium