daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 10th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #5801
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

When I went there, there weren't controls at all. The Principality has also own currency the "Luigino" 1 Luigino = 5 euro if I remember well. You can use it to buy things in the shops or pay the restaurant for example
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #5802
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Is checking documents legal?
No, it's not. I'd indict all of them for high treason.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #5803
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

The "indipendence" of Seborga was proclaimed just to attract tourists. The man who checks passports is just for folklore and has no legal power. Seborga issues its own passports and licence plates but they have no legal value. Cars must also carry Italian plates.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #5804
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84 View Post
When I went there, there weren't controls at all. The Principality has also own currency the "Luigino" 1 Luigino = 5 euro if I remember well. You can use it to buy things in the shops or pay the restaurant for example
I have 5 crediti from the Federazione di Damanhur.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #5805
Markowice10

Likes (Received): 69

Rome, Italy.
The border between Italy and The Sovereign Military Order of Malta.
This really sovereign and legal state.
The Maltese Order is sovereign subject of the international law providing for diplomatic relations from 93 states.

Interior of the state...

Registration plate S.M.O.M. = Sovrano Militare Ordine di Malta.

Markowice10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 01:44 AM   #5806
domtoren

Likes (Received): 1215

Greece-Bulgaria-Turkey

around Edirne

Russian military map\, years 1980ies
domtoren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #5807
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

There is no border between Italy and the S. M. O. M., because the latter has no territory. The order has some souvereign rights, but unlike the Vatican State, is not a state of its own. Only since its older than most of the European states, it is recognized by some (mostly catholic) countries as an own souvereign entity.

I highly doubt that S. M. O. M. numberplates would be regarded as legal in some states.
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #5808
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I have 5 crediti from the Federazione di Damanhur.
does it worth to visit?
Old March 11th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #5809
Markowice10

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alqaszar View Post
There is no border between Italy and the S. M. O. M., because the latter has no territory.
Buildings SMOM in Rome and Malta have the status of exterritoriality.
Markowice10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #5810
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
does it worth to visit?
Yeah, there're some nice temples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowice10 View Post
That's like saying Italy borders the US since there's a US embassy in Italy and an Italian embassy in the US.
Old March 11th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #5811
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowice10 View Post
Extraterritoriality is different from actual territory. A SMOM building in ROME with extraterritoriality is still Italian territory, with some limitations. Therefore, SMOM has no territory.
Old March 11th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #5812
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1191

Yokohama Customs, at Yokohama International Sea Port - a "border crossing" point of Japan.
Pic taken in 2009.

Sign pointing to the Int'l Passenger Terminal:

Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #5813
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Some news about the bridge over the Oyapock River between France (French Guiana) and Brazil (State of Amapá). The bridge is now completed. Road access to the bridge on the French side of the border is complete, and the border checkpoint is complete, but the Brazilian side of the bridge is still... a mess. They are working on road access, and hope to connect the bridge to the Oiapoque-Macapá road by July. Dilma Rousseff, the president of Brazil, would like to inaugurate the bridge in August. God only knows who will be the French president.

As for the road from Oiapoque to Macapá, it is still largely a muddy trail that takes 8 long grinding hours to reach Macapá. The Brazilians are working on it, but it is 5 years late due to corruption problems. The federal government has intervened to clean the mess and so they are now earnestly working on it with 1,500 workers paving the road, so they hope to have the road finally paved by 2013, although it seems a bit optimistic to me.

Picture of the Brazilian side of the bridge taken on August 2, 2011:
[img]http://i41.************/f4o2hf.jpg[/img]

The road from Oiapoque to Macapá, not yet paved:

French side of the bridge:
[img]http://i56.************/2nbf5v8.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.************/2lv0h0o.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i42.************/f0aiok.jpg[/img]
Very cool. Do they have an EU starred 'France' sign there as well, anyone know?
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #5814
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Please, don't quote the pictures. There's no need for us to load all the pictures twice.
Old March 12th, 2012, 02:32 AM   #5815
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

"Canned food" found by policemen inside a car crossing the I - SLO border at Fernetti:
image hosted on flickr

Between two pieces of bread 50 grams of... weed
http://www.giornalettismo.com/archiv...lla-marijuana/
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 06:25 AM   #5816
Verso
Islander

Vegetarian sandwich.
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #5817
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces

It's apparently near Bouzonville (in Moselle on the Franco-German border, near Luxembourg).

And according to that pic taken by Google street view in 2011, the sign is still there:

BTW, this road marks the border, here is the same road few hundred meters away, in the small binational village of "Leiding/Leidingen":

The street is named "Rue de la Frontičre" on the French side (literally "Border Street"), and "Neutrale Straße" ("Neutral Street") on the German side.

_
As for the information boards, they are everywhere in that area.

I've seen it, the right side is Saaarland (yuck!). Indeed the street names are funny. There's a German bus that serves the nearby French village, and the road is serviced by the French, even though it's partially completely in Germany.

Here's the bus line: http://hal9000.physik.uni-saarland.d...ption=line+422

...and the stop: http://hal9000.physik.uni-saarland.d...n+Wallerfangen

parcdesprinces liked this post
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 04:01 AM   #5818
Genesis01
wanderer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
How were the other 'inner-iron-curtain' crossings those times? Unfortunately I have never crossed one of them, my most interesting border in that time was between East and West Germany.

And my most interesting crossing in the last few years was UAE-Oman.

In order to understand this, you need to know that the communist regime worked with great police and army presence everywhere, you couldn't just go around wherever you like. In the really hardcore communism you needed a permit just to leave the town/territory you lived in. Like in North-Korea today. On the other hand crime levels were extremely low. The Soviet Union needed buffer zone in case of war with the west, that included the countries that had a border with the soviets. Yugoslavia didn't, that's why they went soft on them. As far as i know there are still police posts in Ukraine and Russia, and they stop everyone and ask where they going and why, and if the person is a foreigner the procedure can take longer, even include some bribe as well.

So for example in Hungary in the early years of communism (1947-1956) one couldn't travel around, couldn't leave Budapest, the capital without a permit. There were police posts on the road around the country and there were inspections as if you would cross a border but you were just traveling within the country. I have a friend who was a taxi driver at the time and he told that he left Budapest with a passenger on board and came back in a smaller path that the police didn't inspect.
Genesis01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 04:06 AM   #5819
Genesis01
wanderer

Another friend of mine was a border guard in the Austrian-Hungarian border. He told that one had to be very trusted person by the communist regime to be at the western border. They didn't just sent there anybody, but only those who were trustworthy of the government. They were one of the few soldier formations who got real bullets in their guns (2 year service in the military was mandatory back then to every adult males). Once my friend got passed by an east German car while he was on patrol in a path leading to Austria. He shot one round in the air as a warning, and rang the next checkpoint (the phone was built in a tree's body), they arrested the German, turned out he was half asleep, woke up from the gunshot and was really terrified. However a long interrogation started for the trespasser, and my friend was complemented.
Old March 13th, 2012, 04:08 AM   #5820
Genesis01
wanderer

There were some hardcore communist leaders in the eastern block for example Nicolae Ceaușescu in Romania, and it was commonly known that Romanian border guards liked to funk around with people so most avoided going there.

In 1989 we went on a holiday trip from Hungary all the way through Yugoslavia to Greece, then to Turkey, Istanbul, then to Bulgaria. It was a one-month-long journey. There was no problem passing to YU, crossing the country we were only once stopped by police but nothing else. Then arriving in the YU-GR border there was a long line waiting, the guards took their time. We spent about a week in Greece then went to Turkey. On the GR-TR border there was a long cue again customs check and everything, even with the car we had to go through a wheel bath to make sure were not carrying any disease. My father told me all this was because the Greek and the Turkish were not very good friends.

Tags
highways, motorways