daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #5861
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Just checked: the first aid kit is mandatory, the fire extinguers only for vehicles over 3500kg.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2012, 03:10 AM   #5862
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
How they know if you bought that stuff in the USA in this occasion, if you throw away packagings?

Andorran borders are strongly controlled by French and Spanish police as well as it is a full small duty free country.
At Spain they will check ALL, ALL, ALL cars. You open the car and a police ask for a random baggage to be checked. They know that smuggling is only made if the full car has something to be declared (and you need several journeys to make a little bussiness...).

They will accept everything considered as "self goods". For example your photo camera. You can buy a new camera, throw the box and papers... and they will say nothing.

They will accept you carried it before entering Andorra (they know it is possible that you didn't but they are not worried in those cases).

But... there are some goods that it is very difficult to explain that you carried to that country just to have two days holidays or similar.

Furthermore, should you carry legally any good, you can declare it before quiting Spain and entering Andorra. They will give you a document that can be shown when coming back as a proof that the good is legal (nothing to declare there).

It is very infrequent... but with a 30 min. delay in the border it can be done.

Maybe, Gibraltar and Andorra borders at Spain are the borders with more control for customs, more than any airport.
At any airport they will check you do not have drugs, weapons and few things more. In a 20 kg suitcase you cannot carry so much than inside a car.

But from Andorra and Gibraltar you will see very few passport controls and a lot, lot, lot of baggage controls.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 03:36 AM   #5863
italystf

A similar situation exists in Livigno, a VAT-free town in Italy near the CH border. Goods, expecially fuel, tobacco, alchol and electronics are very cheap there but you can export them freely only within a certain limit, otherwise you must declare them and pay a fee. Border checks are stricly enforced, they didn't check passports because is the same country but they inspect vehicles. I know people (family with children, not suspicious) that had their car and luggage inspected everywhere for a half of hour. Has anyone in this forum been there? Personal experiences would be interesting.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old March 18th, 2012, 04:19 AM   #5864
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
A similar situation exists in Livigno, a VAT-free town in Italy near the CH border. Goods, expecially fuel, tobacco, alchol and electronics are very cheap there but you can export them freely only within a certain limit, otherwise you must declare them and pay a fee. Border checks are stricly enforced, they didn't check passports because is the same country but they inspect vehicles. I know people (family with children, not suspicious) that had their car and luggage inspected everywhere for a half of hour. Has anyone in this forum been there? Personal experiences would be interesting.
I have been in Livigno in 2006. It was in April and the only access for Livigno was through the Foscagno pass (SS301); the Forcola of Livigno pass was still closed due snow. We were three young boys (I was 22 y.o. and my friends were 20 y.o.) in a Opel Corsa so apparently a car to stop for a control. Instead nobody stopped us. There was a guard but he seemed too much busy to don't freeze in the snow (the checkpoint is in Trepalle - 2.069m - and it has an altitude over 200m higher than Livigno - 1.816m.). But in general yes, there are controls. I guess now with higher VAT in the rest of Italy people living close to Livigno goes there to buy things more than in past, so should be more controls. This is Trepalle and the SS301 going to Livigno (6 Km far away)
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #5865
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina

Likes (Received): 1542

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
You don't have to worry about special equipment. As per the Vienna convention (or is it the Geneva convention?) you can travel in any agreeing country with just the equipment required in your own country.
It would be nice if the Belarussians followed that
Barciur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #5866
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
I have some vague plans of visiting Italy, arriving around 11 o clock in Trieste on saturday june 16th.

I thought of paying a short visit to Istria before going the other way in the direction Comacchio, Italy.

The border south of Trieste, how long does it take to pass it on a saturday in june. 1 hour or more? Do I need a vignette ? how much does it cost ? does slovenia have any special rules, like environmental sticker, bringing fire extinguisher or something like that.

Is the istrian SLO/HR border less time consuming?

If I arrive in Trieste 11.00 How much time do I need for a roadtrip to Koper-SLO including 1h stay there and return trip back to Trieste ?
you don't need a vignette for reaching Koper. i mean, you need if you will use H5. but you can easily reach Koper using free state road 741. tip: at the border crossing keep on right and just after it take exit to OMV gas station. from there it is not hard to follow direction Škofije and Koper.

about SLO/HR border: that weekend you will pass it in few minutes. but next weekend (23.-24.06.) will be disaster because 22. and 25.06. are holidays in Croatia and people will go for short trips that weekend. if not on border, there will be crowds on toll stations in HR.
Old March 18th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #5867
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2097

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84 View Post
I have been in Livigno in 2006. It was in April and the only access for Livigno was through the Foscagno pass (SS301); the Forcola of Livigno pass was still closed due snow. We were three young boys (I was 22 y.o. and my friends were 20 y.o.) in a Opel Corsa so apparently a car to stop for a control. Instead nobody stopped us. There was a guard but he seemed too much busy to don't freeze in the snow (the checkpoint is in Trepalle - 2.069m - and it has an altitude over 200m higher than Livigno - 1.816m.). But in general yes, there are controls. I guess now with higher VAT in the rest of Italy people living close to Livigno goes there to buy things more than in past, so should be more controls. This is Trepalle and the SS301 going to Livigno (6 Km far away)
The same experience I had, but I went there in December, so probably it was even colder

But when I was a kid, back in the 80s, we went there with my family and I remember we were stopped at Foscagno pass and checked.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #5868
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

On some newspapers I read that in France it is mandatory for all drivers to have aboard an alkohol tester and this should be valid also for foreign drivers. It is another violation of the Vienna convention, but maybe it is just an exageration of the newspapers.
Old March 18th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #5869
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

I´ve been to Livigno last summer. I remembered travelling from Sankt Moritz towards Bormio three checkpoints: the first one directly after leaving the main road Sankt Moritz - Poschiavo, the second one on the actual border and the thirth one a few kms east of Livigno. At none of these checkpoints have I been checked.

I wasn't even aware at first that I had entered a duty-free zone. It just thought it was a nice route to travel towards the Stelvio pass. I was quite surprised to see regular unleaded for just €1,08 per liter.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #5870
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
On some newspapers I read that in France it is mandatory for all drivers to have aboard an alkohol tester and this should be valid also for foreign drivers. It is another violation of the Vienna convention, but maybe it is just an exageration of the newspapers.
I've read that foreign people that are just visiting France with their own cars don't need to have this alcohol tester in their car. I think it's just a newspaper exageration. Journalists do this very often.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #5871
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Yes I was thinking it was just an exageration to show how the French are bad.
Old March 18th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #5872
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
I was in Livigno with friends in August 2007 when we headed towards Aosta. Someone had this crazy idea we would tank very cheap there. That seemed a good idea because sometimes the spot consumption went up to 40 l per 100 km on the display, when you stepped on the gas pedal in the middle of a hill. On average it was around 12 l I think. It really did not compensate the time and gas we lost trying to find Livigno but it was nice ride there.

Well it was nice anyway because of the landscape and we visited Lichtenstein as well. We were four young guys in an old Audi A8 with CZ plate... We were not stopped by anyone on the way to Italy. When we went back to CZ from Chamonix we were visiting friend in Konstanz. We were again not stopped on the Swiss border when entering or leaving Switzerland on the way there. When leaving Constanz we could have chosen two ways. One went only through Germany and was bit longer, or we could have go back to Switzerland and go through Switz to Bregenz and further on to München etc.

I had a hunch we should not go through Switzerland again, that we were already lucky enough with the border controls. Well we did go throug Switzerland and indeed they stopped us at the control as the only car. They let us drive to the garage and let us empty the car completaly. We spent there about two hours. It was rather funny, because when leaving the Chamonaix we just came from Mont Blanc and we threw all the clothing and things into the trunk, really did not care about packing from that time on. So the dirty socks etc were everywhere. Well, like four guys after 10 days climbing holliday... The switzz officers had really funny job that day. Though they did not even check my pockets, nor had a dog. So If I carried something they would not find anything.

Anyway it was great car trip and holliday involving digging the bogged down Audi A8 into the muddy german field around 8 pm, the quatro did help, but the heavy beast was just hell heavy. Don't ask me how we got there in the first place .
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #5873
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9927

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I've read that foreign people that are just visiting France with their own cars don't need to have this alcohol tester in their car.
Actually, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but that's not true .
Since all the foreign people driving on French roads must respect French highway code (and all the French laws when they are in France btw), then it obviously includes this new decree (not to mention that I read it in numerous French articles and on several official websites of the French authorities).

Oh, and honestly, can't you afford a couple of single-use breath alcohol testers which cost less than €2 each ?
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #5874
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669
I´ve been to Livigno last summer. I remembered travelling from Sankt Moritz towards Bormio three checkpoints: the first one directly after leaving the main road Sankt Moritz - Poschiavo, the second one on the actual border and the thirth one a few kms east of Livigno. At none of these checkpoints have I been checked.

I wasn't even aware at first that I had entered a duty-free zone. It just thought it was a nice route to travel towards the Stelvio pass. I was quite surprised to see regular unleaded for just €1,08 per liter.
I don't understand the checkpoint between Sankt Moritz and Poschiavo, inside Switzerland.
Old March 18th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #5875
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Actually, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but that's not true .
Since all the foreign people driving on French roads must respect French highway code (and all the French laws when they are in France btw), then it obviously includes this new decree (not to mention that I read it in numerous French articles and on several official websites of the French authorities).

Oh, and honestly, can't you afford a couple of single-use breath alcohol testers which cost less than €2 each ?
So you are saying that if I am in Germany and I want to do a 3-hour visit in Strasbourg I need to buy that alcohol tester? It's not that it's expensive, but I don't think that those 2€ are well spent.

And btw: you said "a couple". How many should you have in your car? One is not enough? And what's the puropose of this devices? If you get stopped by the Police they test you with your own tester?
Old March 18th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #5876
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I never drink and drive, the breathalyzer obligation for every motorist is an insult to people's common sense.

You need enforcement, not silly stuff like breathalyzers. Typical symbol politics.

You need a shopping list of what's obligated and what not in Europe nowadays.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #5877
bogdymol
bogdymod

I also never drink and drive. I don't have any problem with random alcohol tests taken by the Police, but if they want to test my alcohol level (which is 0) they should bring their own testers.
Old March 18th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #5878
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9927

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
And btw: you said "a couple". How many should you have in your car? One is not enough? And what's the puropose of this devices? If you get stopped by the Police they test you with your own tester?
As far as I understood, you must have at least one non-used tester, and since the purpose of this decree is to make drivers take responsibility, so, having a minimum of two in your car will allow you to test yourself whenever you need, and still having at least one non-used tester as asked by the decree.

BTW, the implementation of this decree is planned for next july, and drivers who don't have testers won't be fined until next november.

PS: Oh, and Police patrols will continue to use their own testers during the Police controls of course.
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #5879
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
As far as I understood, you must have at least one non-used tester, and since the purpose of this decree is to make drivers take responsibility, so, having a minimum of two in your car will allow you to test yourself whenever you need, and still having at least one non-used tester in case of police control.
Why would I test myself? I know that if I drink even a little bit I shouldn't drive.

edit: or you mean... testing myself after a long night + hangover? To see if any alcohol is still in my blood since last night?
Old March 18th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #5880
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Zero tolerance and strict enforcement would be better policy in my eyes.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways