daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #5981
xerxesjc28

Likes (Received): 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post

BTW, this road marks the border, here is the same road few hundred meters away, in the small binational village of "Leiding/Leidingen":

The street is named "Rue de la Frontière" on the French side (literally "Border Street"), and "Neutrale Straße" ("Neutral Street") on the German side.

_
Can people cross to either side with out getting in any sort of trouble? There is a town like that between the USA and Canada up in the North East and if people cross over a line on the road they get ticketed or something. You have to apparently go to a customs port and get authorization even if they just going across the street to buy something. There are cameras everywhere too, and police will swarm the person if they cross over, not sure if that is only on the USA side or both sides.

Here is an article on it http://www.nowpublic.com/press/us-ca...rity-crackdown.

And here is another article on another town http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/11/us...nly-boxed.html I really don't understand why the USA has to treat the Canadian border like it was a 3rd world country so sad.

Originally Posted by aceflamingo23:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1108
xerxesjc28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #5982
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Being both members of the Schengen agreement, people can cross between these countries anytime, anywhere, without any problem
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #5983
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

And I suppose Police can cross for several kilometres the border if is running to catch someone of just checking around the border without controls.

At Schengen treaty countries these are normal "borders". You can find old control points but not used today. New streets, motorways, etc... are being built without any space for control points.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #5984
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
600 EUR? If I remember, the EU-regulated limit is 300 EUR in the non-air traffic in case of importing goods from non-EU countries.

Sorry, you are right.

300 EUR if land border and 430 EUR if plane or ship border... and applies also for goods from Canary islands, Ceuta and Melilla where they do not pay VAT and other taxes.

As far as I know, if packs are opened (so then not able to be sold) before crossing the border, it is duty free.

Anyway, by car, 5 people = 1500 EUR...

Edit.... official page
http://www.agenciatributaria.es/AEAT...iaje_11_10.pdf

Last edited by alserrod; April 26th, 2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #5985
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
And I suppose Police can cross for several kilometres the border if is running to catch someone of just checking around the border without controls.
If there is a police pursuit in country A they can cross the border into country B, but just for 30 km. When they approach the border crossing they have to announce the Schengen boureau in their country (A) that they are in a pursuit and approaching the border, and then the Schengen boureau in country A will announce the one from country B, and they will send a police patrol there to continue the chase in the country B. That's the agreement.

PS: Romania did an exercise with a cross-border pursuit few years ago with Hungary.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #5986
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
If there is a police pursuit in country A they can cross the border into country B, but just for 30 km. When they approach the border crossing they have to announce the Schengen boureau in their country (A) that they are in a pursuit and approaching the border, and then the Schengen boureau in country A will announce the one from country B, and they will send a police patrol there to continue the chase in the country B. That's the agreement.

PS: Romania did an exercise with a cross-border pursuit few years ago with Hungary.

Not necessary 30 km. Spain has a treaty with Portugal of 50 km and I think only 10 with France.

If a police is running away to catch someone and they cross the border, police can cross the border too with the following considerations:

- No more than distance approved (as I said, 50 km Portugal-Spain, what means entering from Spain until a lot of Portuguese territory and upside down)
- Advise the other country police as soon as possible
- If arrested, they have to give him to the other country police. They can ask for an international movement for arrested people... but they cannot arrest him and cross the border again.
- They cannot interrogate arrested people. Just arrest and giving to the other country police

And they are allowed to cross the border as many times as they need for borders controls. They will not make a control on road, but they can be making surveillance for possible delinquents.

Sometimes it is more effective to know who is the person you have to catch than making a 100% control.

Old April 26th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #5987
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod

Not necessary 30 km. Spain has a treaty with Portugal of 50 km and I think only 10 with France.

If a police is running away to catch someone and they cross the border, police can cross the border too with the following considerations:

- No more than distance approved (as I said, 50 km Portugal-Spain, what means entering from Spain until a lot of Portuguese territory and upside down)
- Advise the other country police as soon as possible
- If arrested, they have to give him to the other country police. They can ask for an international movement for arrested people... but they cannot arrest him and cross the border again.
- They cannot interrogate arrested people. Just arrest and giving to the other country police

And they are allowed to cross the border as many times as they need for borders controls. They will not make a control on road, but they can be making surveillance for possible delinquents.

Sometimes it is more effective to know who is the person you have to catch than making a 100% control.
Italy: 10km Austria (roads), 20km Austria (motorways) and 30km Slovenia (roads and motorways).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #5988
bogdymol
bogdymod

I heard about 30 km, but maybe it's just an agreement between Romania and Hungary for the time after we join Schengen area.
Old April 27th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #5989
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Why? Was difficult for foreign companies export there?
Italians went to Yugoslavia to buy cheap fuel, cigarettes and meat.
In the early 1980s, shortly after Tito's death, Yugoslav dept was more than 20 billion dollars. Government decided to introduce savings measures like limiting import ("stabilisation"). There were shortages of oil, coffee and detergents. People smuggled coffee from abroad, mostly from Trieste.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #5990
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Italy: 10km Austria (roads), 20km Austria (motorways) and 30km Slovenia (roads and motorways).
Damn, you can go all the way to the Croatian border. Perhaps you'll even be allowed to go to Croatia when it enters EU and Schengen.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 04:13 AM   #5991
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9916

del

Last edited by parcdesprinces; April 27th, 2012 at 04:55 AM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #5992
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

I remember that we took so many coffee into Yugoslavia in the eighties (for familiy) that my clothes smelled like coffee for weeks. And I don't even like coffee

Last edited by Palance; April 27th, 2012 at 09:16 PM.
Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #5993
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Spain has canceled for some days the Schengen treaty with France because an international meeting at Barcelona. It applies (as far as I know) only to road borders, where they will apply controls.

Old April 27th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #5994
bogdymol
bogdymod

Today I crossed the Schengen border at Battonya (Hungary) / Turnu (Romania) without beeing checked. They just waved us...
Old April 27th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #5995
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Spain has canceled for some days the Schengen treaty with France because an international meeting at Barcelona. It applies (as far as I know) only to road borders, where they will apply controls.
Acording to newspapers it seems it will be limited the border crossings of the following major catalan roads: AP7 , N-2, N-260, N-152 (this one kind of absurd as it's located on the Puigcerda metro area, where there a LOT of secondary roads and street crossings which for sure won't have any control), C-38 and N-230.

Controls will be enforced beginning today's midnight until the midnight of May 4.
Old April 27th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #5996
Verso
Islander

As far as I know, it's forbidden to cross the border outside official border crossings when the Schengen treaty is suspended for some time.
Old April 27th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #5997
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
As far as I know, it's forbidden to cross the border outside official border crossings when the Schengen treaty is suspended for some time.
I'm not an expert, but I believe that every road border crossing it's official... the fact that the police decides to check just certain roads doesn't make the rest of the road crossings less official...
Old April 28th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #5998
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

It is so absurd the situation... The police just will make checks and special controls in border roads near Barcelona.

Schengen treaty is canceled with France for several days but the controls will apply only to roads (not plane or ship) and only for someone near Barcelona...

Old April 28th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #5999
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAkumana View Post
I'm not an expert, but I believe that every road border crossing it's official... the fact that the police decides to check just certain roads doesn't make the rest of the road crossings less official...
I still remember which roads had official border crossings before our entry into Schengen, but you're right, who'd know all of them now? What about crossing the border on foot in the middle of a forest or something like that? That might be illegal.
Old April 28th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #6000
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

The GR-11 is a high-mountain trekking route that goes Atlantic to Mediterranean at Spain. There is a parallel route at France as well as a mix-route considered very-very high mountain trekking.

The GR-11 has this path

The route runs mainly in Spain but there are a few points (not indicated) where you enter France, and the own GR-11 crosses corner to corner Andorra

As an example, think how to go from Candanchu ski resort to Estanes lake without crossing the border

http://maps.google.es/?ll=42.786646,...84543&t=h&z=14

PS. In the right down corner of the link there is an military camp. They cannot cross the border because any reason (and never, never with weapons). It is an advanced mountain military unit that make training in the Pyrenees.

They will rarely go to Estanes lake because they have to make a very long tour to avoid French territory.......

Tags
highways, motorways