daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2012, 04:08 AM   #6061
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Ah ok. Still goods you can take in or out are very much restricted.
I believe there are people that make nice living from going through the Polish Belarus border with ciggarets .

http://telegraf.by/en/2011/12/kontra...las-v-tri-raza

Funny, they smuggle them from Belarus also to Ukraine

http://www.pvu.gov.ua/control/en/pub...2&cat_id=46637

The difference in price of ciggarets between CZ and NL is around 2-3 euros. Buying few packages on the airport would pay me the travel cost with a low cost.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #6062
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Ah ok. Still goods you can take in or out are very much restricted.
I believe it is 2 bottles, I got checked last year at Male Slemence and they were surprised to see someone who wasn't local and hadn't taped cigarette packets to themselves. This morning I was not stopped at customs in Borispol Airport. I was carrying 2 bottles of Kyrgyz vodka.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #6063
bogdymol
bogdymod

Border crossing video recorded by myself: Stamora Moravița (Romania) - Vatin (Serbia) (map):

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:55 PM   #6064
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

^ complicated.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:14 PM   #6065
bogdymol
bogdymod

Why complicated?
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:28 PM   #6066
Nordic20T

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
^ complicated.
I think hofburg is talking about the serbian border checks. It seems to me too a bit more complicated that what I have seen in your videos of RO/HU border.
Nordic20T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:44 PM   #6067
bogdymol
bogdymod

The border check was indeed a little more strict compared with the H/RO (which is a joke, not a real check).
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:34 AM   #6068
Tepes
Korean Style

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
The border check was indeed a little more strict compared with the H/RO (which is a joke, not a real check).
As it should be, if not removed at all. Pre-2007 and especially pre-2002(I think? The year EU removed visas for RO), the checks were humiliating.
Tepes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:54 AM   #6069
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepes

As it should be, if not removed at all. Pre-2007 and especially pre-2002(I think? The year EU removed visas for RO), the checks were humiliating.
Being the outer Schengen border, checks should be enforced until Romania will join too. It has the same status of the RO-SRB.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:01 AM   #6070
Bad_Hafen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 159

all checks should be abolished
Bad_Hafen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:25 AM   #6071
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Why complicated?
what exactly are they checking when leaving Serbia?
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:39 AM   #6072
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Hafen
all checks should be abolished
You mean removing all borders in the world? Unthinkable. Off course we can enlarge EU and Schengen area when new countries fulfill necessary requirements.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:56 AM   #6073
Bad_Hafen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
You mean removing all borders in the world? Unthinkable. Off course we can enlarge EU and Schengen area when new countries fulfill necessary requirements.
why? it was like that 100 years ago
Bad_Hafen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:33 AM   #6074
hofburg
middle lane hogger

btw Italystf, what's up with permanent police presence at Vilesse? every time I go there, they are there, they don't stop me though, but they check all vehicles that are not from I or SLO apparently.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:22 AM   #6075
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepes View Post
Schengen visas for Romanians were removed somewhere around 2000-2002 (don't remember exactly when). And yeah, before that the checks were a lot stricter than now.

Quote:
Being the outer Schengen border, checks should be enforced until Romania will join too. It has the same status of the RO-SRB.
The border check at the outer Schengen border (Hungary/Romania) is very relaxed. You just show your ID and sometimes they ask where are you going, and that's all. Few times I also passed without beeing checked at all (while entering Romania). From my own experience I can say that the check at Hungary/Croatia and Croatia/Slovenia border was similar with the one between Romania/Hungary.

The check at Romania/Serbia was a little bit different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
what exactly are they checking when leaving Serbia?
While entering Serbia there was no problem. At the Romanian checkpoint they didn't ask anything, just ID check, and at the Serbian checkpoint it was the ID check + "where are you going?".

While comming back at the Serbian checkpoint was the ID check + "where have you been?" (Belgrade) + "what did you do there?" (tennis tournament), and at the Romanian checkpoint it was the ID check again + "alcohool, cigarettes?" (2 beers ) + check in the car trunk. At the Serbian checkpoint at first I didn't knew which lane to take, because there were also trucks and pedestrians there
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:50 AM   #6076
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg
btw Italystf, what's up with permanent police presence at Vilesse? every time I go there, they are there, they don't stop me though, but they check all vehicles that are not from I or SLO apparently.
It's a different thing since it's an internal Schengen border and there should be not permanent checks. Police can stop people for routine checks like in other roads but stopping only cars from certain countries is politically uncorrect. And also useless because if you have something to hide you can take (legally) a lot of local roads from SLO to I where is very difficult find police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol
While comming back at the Serbian checkpoint was the ID check + "where have you been?" (Belgrade) + "what did you do there?" (tennis tournament)
Stupid and useless questions, you can lie whatever you want and they couldn't never discover if you did. And neither they have the right to do since once you enter in the country legally you can go freely everywhere.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:27 AM   #6077
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Watching two different TV channels about border controls at Australia and USA, this is very often there. They are not interested in the answer but depending "how" you answer they know if it is important to make a second check...

and many years of service make to learn a lot of tricks...

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:44 AM   #6078
bogdymol
bogdymod

I also wanted to reply that. I don't think that they were very interested what I will answer (where I've been and what did I do there), but they just wanted to test my reaction: how fast do I answer and "how" do I answer. If I would have gone to Serbia for doing illegal things I would get stuck at that question and didn't think at a fast and plausible answer.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:50 AM   #6079
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

After posting a message in the Spanishs thread of motorways, I took a look of N-141 and some things to have a look

1- It seems it has have never a custom cabin check, neither in France nor in Spain. In Spain it is a national road (even if it is only a little road to approach a mountain pass). In France it is a D-XXX road.
In fact, it is enough to have a police patrol in the cross road with the N-230 and making all kind of controls if needed.

2- In the exact point of the border there are no indications about a border. In France it appears the name of the department and in Spain the name of the demarcation but with touristic signals. No border information, no speed signals, no...

3- In the cross to take the N-141 it is pointed the directions "Portillon mountain pass" (written in Occitan, a language official only in that valley) and "Luchon (F)"

It is another case where they write the name of a foreing town and not the border (not often in Spain but increasing...)

http://maps.google.es/maps?q=bossost...222.27,,0,9.96

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:04 PM   #6080
Baiazid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1019

Quote:
No, it doesn't! H / RO border is an INNER EU border. So there's only a passport control. There is no customs control, since moving freight accross EU is free. However, on the H / RO border there's a customs officer checking/asking you if you have mainly cigarettes, for which Hungary has a limit for the "personal use".

On the other hand, RO / SRB border is EU / NON EU border, so there's a whole different story.

An it's true, before 2002, the H / RO border control was humiliating. But then again, so was on the AT / H border for the Romanians.
Baiazid no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways