daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:57 PM   #6081
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baiazid View Post

An it's true, before 2002, the H / RO border control was humiliating. But then again, so was on the AT / H border for the Romanians.
Yes, well there is a valid reason for that. The amount of Romanian gangs that cross that border, with the purpose of committing crime in mainly Austria, Italy and Spain got totally out of control.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:28 PM   #6082
Baiazid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Yes, well there is a valid reason for that. The amount of Romanian gangs that cross that border, with the purpose of committing crime in mainly Austria, Italy and Spain got totally out of control.
The fact that there is minority of outlaws traveling to Western Europe with the sole purpose of committing various crimes, that's true.

But the fact that the border control is somehow impeaching on their purpose is totally, but totally fake.

What is really happening is that this kind of controls which happened to Romanians till 2002 and happens today to lets say Ukrainians (I've seen it repeatedly) is that the average normal travelers, no better and no worse then any EU citizen, are humiliated, while the outlaws just don't give a damn about. For them, these border controls are simply part of the journey, as for you and me is having a drink before boarding the plane. Once they pass the border - since there's no legal reason to deny them the travel - they carry on with their plans.

So definitely, there's no reason for humiliating border controls. Then again, these are not the only "security checks" in the world which fail to meet their announced purpose and which actually aim to tell you: "sleep tight, we're on guard for your safety; just make sure that you give us a lot of your money"
Baiazid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:04 PM   #6083
Road_UK
BANNED

Ok, first of all you will encounter customs checks anywhere in the EU, and France, Germany, Italy, Britain and Sweden are really into this, even within the EU/Schengen as there is no free movement of large amounts of tobacco, alcohol and fuel, not to mention drugs and people trafficking. Anywhere! In France and Germany they will stop and search you anywhere within their territories, it doesnīt even have to be on a border. And in Britain customs are highly active at any port of entry.

You know as well as I do that Romania and Bulgaria are still developing countries within the EU. Crime gangs, as well as those who are out there to seek work are subject to searches and questioning. There is nothing humiliating about that. And I donīt believe that Romanians get treated any different then a person from any other nation that may have something to hide. I certainly donīt get treated differently. As a Dutch national driving in a British registered van traveling all over Europe, I am subjected to stop and search checks all the time. There is definitely a reason for certain border controls. And I applaud that, even though I get subjected to those myself.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:42 PM   #6084
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

what is so suspicious about you and your van Road UK?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:46 PM   #6085
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

The Dutch are drug dealers. All of them.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:48 PM   #6086
Road_UK
BANNED

Itīs the English reg. A lot of attempted drug trafficking as well as the astronomical price of cigarettes in the UK make British registered vehicles one of the most loved targets for customs officials throughout Europe. Also a lot of Eastern Europeans drive British registered vehicles, and tour around Europe without any insurance. I get checked in France and Germany a lot. In France I usually have a laugh and a joke with the officers while they do their job, while in Germany they havenīt quite got rid of the old Gestapo methods just yet... There are exceptions of course.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:50 PM   #6087
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Dutch are drug dealers. All of them.
I drive mainly an Austrian reg now, and the shit I have to go through with British customs... A young guy like me, with a Dutch passport, and a full English accent (my dad is English) driving in an Austrian registered vehicle...
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:07 PM   #6088
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
And I donīt believe that Romanians get treated any different
All I can say is that from my own experience I noticed that when I wanted to enter UK from France (with Eurostar train) back in 2008 (Romania was EU member at that time), at the border check all the people that had British or French ID were just waved through (the police officers didn't even look at the picture on the ID at many of them), but when my girlfriend and I showed them our Romanian IDs things changed a lot (IDs were scanned, they asked 100 questions, looked at us very suspicious, asked also for passports although that wasn't necessary, asked for return tickets etc.etc.). I wrote about this many pages behind on this thread...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:05 PM   #6089
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
All I can say is that from my own experience I noticed that when I wanted to enter UK from France (with Eurostar train) back in 2008 .
I also have travelled the eurostar and it took me about 1 sec to enter the lounge at Gare du Nord, same procedure at St Pancras. (not counting the queuing)

Remember that your name and color of skin also is important. Even with a swedish passport you would be asked a 100 questions if your skin is dark and your name is Mohammed.

Denmark did increase the scrutiny of border control with S & D last year.
mainly because of influence of the right wing nationalist party (DF)

When I passed the S/DK border at Helsingborg harbour now in april. I saw customs had stopped a couple of EST registered cars with some young thuggy men.

Customs often stop young men. If you're a family with children they don't suspect you that much.

I watched the show about border control along the US-mexican border. Some people use their small children to make the customs less suspiscious when trying to smuggle people and drugs into the USA.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:09 PM   #6090
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
Remember that your name and color of skin also is important. Even with a swedish passport you would be asked a 100 questions if your skin is dark and your name is Mohammed.
My skin color si normal for europeans (white), and my name is not Mohammed, but a usual name in Romania. I guess that my citizenship was wrong...
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:17 PM   #6091
Road_UK
BANNED

I got stopped at Helsingborg a few times. A couple of routine questions and I was on my way again.

Bogdymol, you are Romanian, and I believe you have a heart of gold. But many Romanians have made such a bad name throughout Europe when it comes to bad behaviour and crime (both petty and organised) that they have to put all their eggs in one basket, to stop these Romanian criminals from turning Europe into their little playground. Itīs not you, itīs them.

Same as when British football fans get a little extra attention from law enforcement when their teams play abroad.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:27 PM   #6092
bogdymol
bogdymod

Unfortunatelly, thanks to a couple of Romanians that go to western Europe just to gain some fast money from illegal activities, all of the honest Romanians have to suffer.

Anyway, I don't mind beeing checked since I have nothing to hide, but it's annoying when you know that they're doing this just because you have a certain citizenship.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:31 PM   #6093
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 518

I was stopped last Sunday in Dover (heading Europe) by British control. Just after pass/ID control. They waved to turn right garage and stop the engine and get out of the car for metal gate check. I was really surprised. First time ever since 2006 I drive over there! And without checking any documents... Car was equipped with Polish plates.
The other cars stopped for this control were deeply searched :P Not mine.
So maybe it was just Custom training before Olympic Games in London.

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:36 PM   #6094
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Unfortunatelly, thanks to a couple of Romanians that go to western Europe just to gain some fast money from illegal activities, all of the honest Romanians have to suffer.

Anyway, I don't mind beeing checked since I have nothing to hide, but it's annoying when you know that they're doing this just because you have a certain citizenship.
I know how you feel. I am making a living doing European express deliveries, only doing my job, and in certain countries I get treated like shit sometimes when they check on me. Bavarian police are absolute obnoxious bastards, and for them it doesnīt matter where you come from, you will always be regarded as a psychotic mass murderer.

If you do get checked, do not look annoyed, or start to complain. Make them see that you are used to this kind of routine, and have a laugh and a joke with them. I even made some friends among French customs this way. They are only doing their job, and if you argue with them, then itīs your own fault when your delay, which would have been a matter of minutes, will be extended by a few hours, no matter how good your intentions are. Trust me on my experience.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:38 PM   #6095
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post

I was stopped last Sunday in Dover (heading Europe) by British control. Just after pass/ID control. They waved to turn right garage and stop the engine and get out of the car for metal gate check. I was really surprised. First time ever since 2006 I drive over there! And without checking any documents... Car was equipped with Polish plates.
The other cars stopped for this control were deeply searched :P Not mine.
So maybe it was just Custom training before Olympic Games in London.
British customs in Dover normally donīt make distinction between anybody, and all stops are random. And there is no Passport control in Dover anymore, they do it in Calais or Dunkerque. Only customs and police are at Dover.

Britain outbound the French are in Dover, and France outbound the Brits carry out passport control in France.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:44 PM   #6096
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

whats the situation in Switzerland? I took tgv Paris - Geneva and they were just looking at us at Geneva train station.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:45 PM   #6097
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
If you do get checked, do not look annoyed, or start to complain. Make them see that you are used to this kind of routine, and have a laugh and a joke with them. I even made some friends among French customs this way. They are only doing their job, and if you argue with them, then itīs your own fault when your delay, which would have been a matter of minutes, will be extended by a few hours, no matter how good your intentions are. Trust me on my experience.
Yep, that's the best approach. If you look stressed or you complain they will check you more, but if you are relaxed they will treat you fine.

I was relaxed when I entered Romania from Serbia and I also had a short and relaxed chat with the officer that checked my trunk for alcohol, cigarettes, nuclear bombs, africans without visa etc. and everything was fine.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:48 PM   #6098
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
whats the situation in Switzerland? I took tgv Paris - Geneva and they were just looking at us at Geneva train station.
Switzerland is Schengen, and all passport checks are now gone. But they will stop and check you if you look suspicious, just like on all European border crossings.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:49 PM   #6099
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Yep, that's the best approach. If you look stressed or you complain they will check you more, but if you are relaxed they will treat you fine.

I was relaxed when I entered Romania from Serbia and I also had a short and relaxed chat with the officer that checked my trunk for alcohol, cigarettes, nuclear bombs, africans without visa etc. and everything was fine.
When I entered Romania on the Hungarian border, the Romanian officer just wanted to look in the back of my van, and started talking about the weather...
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:55 PM   #6100
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4004

When you want to enter Hungary from Serbia, Hungarian officers would check your trunk and hood(!). On the other hand, last year when I was going to Romania, both Serbian and Romanian policeman asked for registration certificate. I don't know why, they don't ask for that at Croatian or Slovenian border...
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways