daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #6121
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I've driven dozens of thousand of kms in Europe, always on cars.

So far, I've been checked by police only a few times. aMong them:

1) Andorra-Spain border station. The Spanish had spotted a bag from a store in Andorra where I had bought winter clothing and they asked me if I had bought arms or munition (I realized it was also a hunting store)

They will ask you a random bag to be checked. They stop all the cars (I had only one case that had so many cars that not all of them where stopped).
For avoiding smuggling, except if they suspect about you, looking one random bag they know that it doesn't worth to make it.

I have been never asked for passport, neither at Andorra or Spain (exit and enter).

Once the Andorran police stopped me when entering and checked the only little bag I had and asked me the reason of the visit (it was business... but I found stupid the question as far as more than 99% visits are for tourism... and I could say I were going to visit a friend but I had the hotel in the Spanish side)

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #6122
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

My funniest check was in 1998, SLO-H border, Hodoš-Őrihodos. I had a Lada 1200s then. We had an across Europe tour with one friend, actually arriving home from Italy - Slovenia. We had no money so we spent several nights in the car during this trip. Before arriving to this border station, the recent four or fives days we lived in the car so you can imagine what a mess we had there :-)
The guard started to check our bags. Pointed one and asked: what do you have in that bag. Actually I had no idea :-) I opened the bag and found 3 pairs of used, dirty socks inside, having been there for almost a week. He asked for another bag which, too, I had no idea about. Opened, found some tinned foot that tripped around Europe together with us.
The guard let us go on :-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #6123
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #6124
bogdymol
bogdymod

I remembered one thing: back in the '90s, short time after Romanians got permission to have passports and go abroad there were very long queues at the border crossings to Hungary. There they checked everything they could, but also were denying many people to cross for reasons like "your car is too dirty"...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #6125
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

They tried to stop me going into the Czech Republic once, before it joined Schengen, because I had a crack in my windscreen. They turned me around, so I just went to a different border crossing.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #6126
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

German -> Swiss border, some months ago. Around 11 p.m., crossing is empty, mine is the only car approaching it (trucks are a different issue...). Guard is standing there. I have some boxes of German supermarket food and a used bicycle in the car.

- "Do you import any goods"?
- "No, just food within the allowance of CHF 300,-. No raw meat." (They like to ask for it ... )
- "Do you bring other kind of meat?"
- "Some salami and so ... 1-2kg in total"
- "Do you bring alcoholic beverages?"
- "a six-pack of beer..."
- "Do you bring cigarettes?"
- "No"
- "The bicycle is old?"
- "Yes, used."
- "Your ID, please" give it to him.
- "Please pull over to the right and just wait"
- waiting for some minutes
- "Please open the boot" open it, he's touching some of the food packages. Then he opens two other doors and looks inside. Then, hands back ID.
- "Have a nice trip, bye ..."

During all this time, no other vehicle crossed the border after me
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #6127
AsianDragons
Oz-Asian

Likes (Received): 263

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1511295

cambodia/laos international border crossing at Stung Treng and Champassack provinces

Visit the Laos Forum

Visit the Myanmar Forum
AsianDragons no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #6128
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2094

At the Swiss-Austrian border in Lustenau about a year ago there were two female young officers chatting excitedly like teenagers. I stopped and they waved me out with a certain degree of annoyance, I was interrupting their conversation about Johnny Depp or whatever.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #6129
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
No, but I had too many of them.

lol, how many of them did you have? (and which? )
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #6130
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
(and which? )
Old May 24th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #6131
tonylondon

Likes (Received): 31

what does pula means in rumanian???
tonylondon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #6132
bogdymol
bogdymod

Ask google
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #6133
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

double post please delete
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Last edited by italystf; May 24th, 2012 at 03:21 PM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #6134
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol
Ask google
Or browse randomly the H&A section. It had already been mentioned dozen of times.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #6135
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

romanian jokes I am sure Verso didn't transport such salami, but more like hungarian, or some salami from domestic farms.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #6136
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
My funniest check was in 1998, SLO-H border, Hodoš-Őrihodos. I had a Lada 1200s then. We had an across Europe tour with one friend, actually arriving home from Italy - Slovenia. We had no money so we spent several nights in the car during this trip. Before arriving to this border station, the recent four or fives days we lived in the car so you can imagine what a mess we had there :-)
The guard started to check our bags. Pointed one and asked: what do you have in that bag. Actually I had no idea :-) I opened the bag and found 3 pairs of used, dirty socks inside, having been there for almost a week. He asked for another bag which, too, I had no idea about. Opened, found some tinned foot that tripped around Europe together with us.
The guard let us go on :-)

Similar to me at Hendaye (F), after a night on the train not sleeping and two big baggages. First of them with my clothes and books of student and second with some food (there area somethings you cannot find away and try to carry).
My impression shouldn't be the best... and they asked me to open the first baggage. I opened it and the first thing they saw was some technical books of a French university. They looked more and only clothes.

I do not know what would it happen if they open the second baggage. It was all food, but closed (bought in a supermarket and not open). It was not too many quantity but I do not know the maximum to import in France and if some restrictions...

Old May 24th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #6137
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
- "Your ID, please" give it to him.
- "Please pull over to the right and just wait"
- waiting for some minutes

Should you are in Spain, they will never ask for that. Other case is that we will GIVE the ID card, passport or any identification document is considered as PERSONAL and UNTRANSFERABLE.

This is... they will ask you to SHOW it, you are on your right to take in your hand, show as much time as they need to look it or copy any data, turn it to see the other side and never leaving your hand.

With police... obviously is better not to discuss about this... but they will ask you only to show, not to give it.

I had, once, a discussion in a post office because the postmand asked me for the ID card. I showed and he told me I had to give him. I said that I wouldn't, I just show. The desk was not dessigned to see the ID easily... but it was not my problem... they should have to start solving any problem

In Spain the ID card can be never retired by the police and the passport only by a judge, as well as the driving licence.
If someones takes your ID and do not gives you, he can take a problem... and this will apply also when you pay with a credit card in a restaurant. Most of them looks your ID and leave in the table. Should they take with the card and return later can have a problem if the ID is dissapeared.

Old May 24th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #6138
the Ludovico center
Je Maintiendrai

Likes (Received): 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Dutch are drug dealers. All of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Not only the Dutch, anyone thats driving from NL through Germany
It not only happens at the border but deep outside Holland: for example when you are on an international train originally departing from Amsterdam, you'll likely get lots of hustle and hinder due to armed police scrambling on board your train at some city nowhere near the Dutch border (this is before passengers are allowed to get out at that station) and of course the nasty looking dogs who go under your leg and sniff around everything while you're sitting there and crossing your fingers that they will not take a bite out of your legs
the Ludovico center no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #6139
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

You are likely to get stopped by customs anywhere in Germany and France now. In Germany I got stopped for example at Mannheim, Hannover, Heilbronn and Nürnberg. In France in the middle of Lille, Lyon, Rouen, Bordeaux-first peage towards Paris, Metz and then all the borders with Switzerland, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, Spain, at Calais and the entrance to the Mont Blanc tunnel. The French are ok though, you can have a laugh and a joke with them, unlike the Germans, who always got that we will gas you look in their eyes...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #6140
garethni

Likes (Received): 3

Once, crossing the Liechtenstein/Austrian border we were examined by the Swiss customs people. The boy doing the inspection was extremely young and maybe a trainee. He was really confused when he saw the steering lock and had to ask what it was! Such innocence.
garethni no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways