daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #6661
Prythen
Roamer

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
There's the Moroccan Wall between them and yes, they control it. If you wanna go to Mauritania, you have to cross the Polisario-controlled area for a few kms (gravel road).
They don't control anything. Not even the territories east of the wall, because the Polisario are around Tindouf, in Algeria.
If you want to go to Mauritania from Morocco, you'll have to cross a 4km (or so) no man's land (but this strip of land is not controlled at all by Polisario).
Prythen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2012, 02:31 AM   #6662
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

And... If you do not have any stamp in your passport?

You can have a new passport because last one was expired, or just you can have gone to somewhere with no passport stamps.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #6663
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prythen View Post
They don't control anything. Not even the territories east of the wall, because the Polisario are around Tindouf, in Algeria.
If you want to go to Mauritania from Morocco, you'll have to cross a 4km (or so) no man's land (but this strip of land is not controlled at all by Polisario).
No, but Morocco controls the "border" at the Moroccan Wall, doesn't it? It's effectively almost a border with Mauritania in that area.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #6664
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

In the right downer corner Mauritania has a railway very close to the border... and it is not often to see a railway in those areas

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #6665
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod
In the right downer corner Mauritania has a railway very close to the border... and it is not often to see a railway in those areas
Mauritania is famous for its long trains which are transporting iron ore from inner part of the country to the ports
Old October 28th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #6666
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
How is possible to have two passports at the same time?
Anyone born in Northern Ireland is entitled to a British or Irish passport. Many have both.

A friend of mine was born in Australia to British parents and holds both a British & Oz passport.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:40 PM   #6667
Protteus
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

Likes (Received): 188

The new Mexican customs in Tijuana - San Diego Border

Protteus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 02:25 AM   #6668
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

About a month ago, I took this route between southern Burgenland and Vienna. I did a short detour and crossed 4 times the Austrian - Hungarian border.

More details of the southern part of the route:

At point A the first border crossing, from Heilingenbrunn (A) to Vasalja (H)

No trace of old border post, just stones and signs. I think this crossing was opened after 2007.

At the border crossing B (Vasalja - Moskendorf) I re-entered Austria. Strangely, there was no sign of any kind marking the border and no trace of former border posts. Just a stone on the side of the road. So, I initially though that the border matched with the road edge and the entire road was still in Hungary. Only when I see the entry sign of Moschendorf, about 1km after the actual border, I realized I was in Austria!
So, no pics of that crossing.

At point C, I crossed again into Hungary using the Eberau - Szentpérfa border crossing. This is a major crossing, with still old boots left.
View from Austria towards Hungary:

Short stop in the city of Szombathely, to see the centre and get ride in a supermarket of some Hungarian forints that a my cousing had as left over from a trip.
I read that during communism that city and the surronding area were off-limit for non-residents Hungarians because it was too close to the Western Europe and escaping risks were high.

I continued in direction North, towards the Austrian border, between Koszeg (H) and Mannersdorf an der Rabnitz (A) (point D on my map).

Last edited by italystf; November 3rd, 2012 at 02:31 AM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 02:50 AM   #6669
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I did a short detour and crossed 4 times the Austrian - Hungarian border.
any particular reason for doing that?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 02:58 AM   #6670
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg

any particular reason for doing that?
We visited my cousin who lives in southern Burgenland and later we went to Vienna.
The route I took was only few km longer than the trip entirely in Austria. I never went to Hungary before, I wanted to see how it looks like and how are border crossing now. I planned to fill my tank in Hungary thinking it was a lot cheaper than in Austria but it wasn't so I didn't.
I would never have done that if I had to stop at every border.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 03:00 AM   #6671
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I filled my tank for 1,37 € (!!!) (super 95) in Salzburg couple of days ago. I made it full of course.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 03:04 AM   #6672
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg
I filled my tank for 1,37 € (!!!) (super 95) in Salzburg couple of days ago. I made it full of course.
In fact in Austria fuel is very cheap compared with their high standards of living, even cheaper than in the much poorer Hungary (where I would also be cheated on the exchange rate).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:22 AM   #6673
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
We visited my cousin who lives in southern Burgenland and later we went to Vienna.
The route I took was only few km longer than the trip entirely in Austria. I never went to Hungary before, I wanted to see how it looks like and how are border crossing now. I planned to fill my tank in Hungary thinking it was a lot cheaper than in Austria but it wasn't so I didn't.
I would never have done that if I had to stop at every border.
It's so cool that you can do that!

Quote:
In fact in Austria fuel is very cheap compared with their high standards of living, even cheaper than in the much poorer Hungary (where I would also be cheated on the exchange rate).
Is Hungary really that much poorer, still? (Not doubting you; I'm just surprised to hear it.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 12:02 PM   #6674
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Is Hungary really that much poorer, still? (Not doubting you; I'm just surprised to hear it.)
Yes, definitely. Visiting only the border area can make false feelings, for it is the least wealthy region of Austria and the wealthiest region of Hungary (not counting Buda), but here, too, the differences are very clear.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 12:25 PM   #6675
igorlan
אני חושב, משמע אני קיים

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
GDP per capita 2011 in Austria is almost twice as much. If EU27 = 100, Austria and Hungary are , respectively, 129 and 66.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 12:33 PM   #6676
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

GDP per capita can be misleading if the cost of living is not factored in. Especially the cost of housing.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 03:06 PM   #6677
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I was assuming that this long after the end of communism, the ex-Eastern bloc states would be closer to western living standards.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 03:10 PM   #6678
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11809

you must consider that western europe had the marshall-plan from the US, after world war 2 to ignite their economy, which eastern europe never had (because stalin forbid us to take it). after the fall of communism in '89 there was no help from anybody -> until we joined the eu in 2004, which by all means is not to be compared with something like a marshall plan.

anyway, some eastern european countries are on a good way to meet western standards some day. hungary is not among them.

Last edited by JackFrost; November 3rd, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 03:19 PM   #6679
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

As a matter of fact the Soviets removed a lot of eastern European machinery to the Soviet Union as war reparations in the 1950s. I believe this was especially the case in Romania and Bulgaria (which were axis powers).

The 1990s were economic hardship for the post-communist countries. A lot of their economy was based on Soviet demand, which fell away after the COMECON dissolved in 1991. The former communist industry was no match for western European competition, despite wages being much lower in the post-communist countries.

Poland was one of the first countries to emerge back at their pre-1990 level, but it was only until recent years when the economy really grew. Note that percentage growth doesn't say much if the numbers are small. 10% growth at index 010 is much smaller than 5% growth at index 100.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 04:53 PM   #6680
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus
Yes, definitely. Visiting only the border area can make false feelings, for it is the least wealthy region of Austria and the wealthiest region of Hungary (not counting Buda), but here, too, the differences are very clear.
Absolutely true.
When I crossed into Hungary for the 1st time I arrived in a village that was much different to the nearby Austria: untidy houses, tall grass on the roads' curb,... when I continued into Hungarian territory I noticed that other areas were much better than the first thing I saw. The center of Szombathely was also quite tidy. I felt like in western Europe and I got the false feeling that Hungary was doing quite well, but after reading about the situation of Eastern Hungary...
The Austrian Burgenland is very rural, very different from Tyrol, Carintia, Salzburg or Vienna regions. But absolutely not undeveloped and untidy. Austrian countryside is much better than the Italian one, with trashy road edges being a rare thing.

Tags
highways, motorways