daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #6941
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Despite what governments may say, there's a precise and long-term plan to tear down non-high speed trains and railways in all Europe.
Is there?

Can you point me in the direction of at least one online source which reveals the evidence for this assertion please.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #6942
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2105

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker View Post
Is there?

Can you point me in the direction of at least one online source which reveals the evidence for this assertion please.
You really want me to point to an official document stating this? There aren't, you know. I just use logic: lines are being closed all the time, even the very busy ones (commuter lines to the big cities) are unbearably overcrowded and obsolete, so it's not a question of money. Two plus two equals four. They just want the people to get tired of this and buy a car.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #6943
marobara

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Some more questions

1. Are there any EU external border crossings where passport control is carried out on the platform/in the station rather than on the train? I'm aware of the border crossing in Przemysl where people boarding in Przemysl are checked in the station (and - I think - when they leave the train in Przemysl too) - but are there any others?

(Kroscienko - PL/UA used to be carried out inside the border station, but that border crossing has now closed for trains...)

2. Between 2004-2007, does anyone know if Poland conducted entry *and* exit checks (not just entry checks) on the PL/CZ and PL/SK borders? I'm struggling to find out what was the exact practice.

3. Was the PL-CZ/SK border "hard" between 2004-2007, or were illegal border crossings common during that time? I've found numerous references online to local residents simply ignoring the need to cross at an actual border crossings, and it seems that many tourist crossings were completely unmanned.
I can't answer to the question 1 but about 2&3:

2. I have crossed PL/SK (more often) and PL/CZ borders many times since the mid-90s and I can't recall any strict checks ever happening there. Even before 2004 the exit controls were very rare. I might have been asked to open my car's boot once or twice in my life (crossing the southern PL border every year at least 3-4 times). In 2004-2007 the checks became even lighter, sometimes the guards didn't ask for passport.

3. Most of the PL/SK and PL/CZ border is mountainous, many peaks are exactly at the border, hiking is very popular, you can add the rest yourself.. technically some tourist trails had marked border crossings (even up high in the mountains) but I have never met any guard there. Some small crossings on local roads (also marked as tourist crossings, not working 24h, but eg. 6-20) were sometimes unmanned and open too.
marobara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #6944
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
You really want me to point to an official document stating this? There aren't, you know. I just use logic: lines are being closed all the time, even the very busy ones (commuter lines to the big cities) are unbearably overcrowded and obsolete, so it's not a question of money. Two plus two equals four. They just want the people to get tired of this and buy a car.
I haven't read about any significant line closures in Europe, not just recently, but for many years.

I've heard of the discontinuation of certain passenger services, yes.

I've also heard of the threat of line closures in certain areas. Hungary springs to mind.

But I have certainly not seen any evidence at all of there being some kind of plague sweeping across Europe leading to line closures.

Are you sure this is not just a perception you have as oppose to it being a judgement based on facts?
Old January 25th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #6945
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
I haven't read about any significant line closures in Europe, not just recently, but for many years.

I've heard of the discontinuation of certain passenger services, yes.

I've also heard of the threat of line closures in certain areas. Hungary springs to mind.

But I have certainly not seen any evidence at all of there being some kind of plague sweeping across Europe leading to line closures.

Are you sure this is not just a perception you have as oppose to it being a judgement based on facts?
I may have exagerated the phenomenon. In Italy this is obvious. I read in this forum that line closures happen in other countries, so I may have generalized.
As I said before, of course it is a perception: there is no document stating "we want to close down as many lines as possible, puny commuters, bwawawa". But as an Italian living in Italy, this is totally apparent to me.
Old January 25th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #6946
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Although I only do read only English, I do read some Italian-language websites and translate them into English. These would be railway-focused in nature.

In addition, I read the monthly magazine 'Today's Railways Europe' which contains news stories about Italy in English.

So I'm surprised that I've not read anything about there being an issue with line closures in Italy, although I don't doubt what you say. You know better than I do what is going on in Italy of course.

I know that there is an ongoing project to reform Trenitalia and cut costs, but my focus is only on the cargo side of Italy's railways so I'm not actively searching for information on the passenger side.

Sorry to hear, anyway, that some railways have been shut and others are under threat.
Old January 25th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #6947
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Although I only do read only English, I do read some Italian-language websites and translate them into English. These would be railway-focused in nature.

In addition, I read the monthly magazine 'Today's Railways Europe' which contains news stories about Italy in English.

So I'm surprised that I've not read anything about there being an issue with line closures in Italy, although I don't doubt what you say. You know better than I do what is going on in Italy of course.
Look at this list:
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrovi...esse_in_Italia
These are all Italian railways closed down. Many of them have been closed in the 60s-70s (that's why I say "long term plan"), but some others have been closed until now.
I see rail transport as a service, and a service cannot be shut because it loses money. It's like they say "sorry, your house was built a little outside the city so we cannot connect it to the utilities (water, electricity), because it would be too costly".
That's the way I see it.

Quote:
I know that there is an ongoing project to reform Trenitalia and cut costs, but my focus is only on the cargo side of Italy's railways so I'm not actively searching for information on the passenger side.
I know nothing about cargo rail transport, although my brother-in-law drives cargo trains. I may ask him, sooner or later.
Quote:
Sorry to hear, anyway, that some railways have been shut and others are under threat.
Of course main lines are not affected directly by this, but they're putting more and more high speed trains instead of normal ones, and closing down many stations. The final goal is: no more small lines, large lines only with long-distance high-speed trains, because they want to compete with air travel. The way I see it, rail and airplanes should serve entirely different customers.
Old January 25th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #6948
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

A fair amount of railway lines in the UK that were closed in the 50's and 60's have recently been reopened
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #6949
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by marobara View Post
I can't answer to the question 1 but about 2&3:

2. I have crossed PL/SK (more often) and PL/CZ borders many times since the mid-90s and I can't recall any strict checks ever happening there. Even before 2004 the exit controls were very rare. I might have been asked to open my car's boot once or twice in my life (crossing the southern PL border every year at least 3-4 times). In 2004-2007 the checks became even lighter, sometimes the guards didn't ask for passport.

3. Most of the PL/SK and PL/CZ border is mountainous, many peaks are exactly at the border, hiking is very popular, you can add the rest yourself.. technically some tourist trails had marked border crossings (even up high in the mountains) but I have never met any guard there. Some small crossings on local roads (also marked as tourist crossings, not working 24h, but eg. 6-20) were sometimes unmanned and open too.
Thank you for the answers!

It seems from my research that in the 2004-2007 period for certain, the border was more or less completely ignored by everyone outside of main official crossings. I spoke with some people in the Mala Cermna/Czermna area (near Kudowa-Zdroj) a while ago, and their opinion was that the border was completely meaningless after 2004, with the biggest frustration being the lack of car access.

It's very interesting that the local crossings were unmanned too - but I guess this just reflected the reality of the situation, that it was absolutely pointless to guard every crossing.

What's most interesting for me is that you say that exit checks were very rare. Compare this to the present day situation when everyone is checked upon leaving Schengen! (at least in this part of the world - we don't talk about the total failure of countries such as France to implement them)
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #6950
vatse

Likes (Received): 728

Border of Paraguay and Argentina at San Ignacio de Loyola between Asuncion and Colorinda

From http://tarmotamming.blogspot.com

bozenBDJ liked this post
vatse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #6951
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Nice picture and... by the way, the same picture could be posted in two more threads, couldn't it?

- Long distance signals
- Signals of neighbour country cities.

(more than 1000 km and the signal is not in Argentina yet)

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:52 PM   #6952
pai nosso

Likes (Received): 4050

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
In the Spanish "guess the road" thread I posted a picture to guess. It was a local road near a dam and besides Portugal.

About the road, nothing special. It is a road located close to Tajo/Tejo river and near an international dam.

But... take a look to this link (given by forumer who guessed it) and try to have a look to the dam. https://maps.google.es/maps?hl=es&ll...21136&t=h&z=16

Can it be the unique dam in the world where you cross an international border twice?????

Some years ago i want to pass that dam from Portugal by the north , i only knew that existed, i wasn`t travelling with a very good road map.

I didn`t know that there was no connection with Portugal by north.

Concluding, i did not see the dam, i had to turn back because it was getting late and i still had a 4 hours road trip.

Related news (in portuguese):
Quote:
Espanha desiste da ponte que ligaria Cedillo a Montalvão

Cerca de 15 quilómetros separam as duas localidades, mas os residentes vão continuar percorrer cerca de 120

P.S.: translation in English »»» Spain quits bridge that would connect Cedillo to Montalvão. 15 Km separate the two towns, but residents have to travel 120 Km.
pai nosso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:03 PM   #6953
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Related to Cedillo, it is not Spanish ministery but Extremadura government who seems not to want to built that bridge... and really there is a long tour without that bridge.

In Spain, except roads starting by N-XXX and almost all motorways (there are exceptions but that't to talk about in another thread), all roads depends by their regional governments. In this case Extremadura.

In any case, has someone thought in a boat solution?

In the Ebro river, the second longest in the Iberian peninsula it remains one case. Have a look

https://maps.google.es/maps?q=mirave...357.23,,0,0.82

Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:15 PM   #6954
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1315

Lithuania/Latvia A13/A11

Unnumbered LT road/V1219

Road 169/P114

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.

bozenBDJ liked this post
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:40 PM   #6955
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

are they real custom controls?

Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:41 PM   #6956
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Both countries are in the Schengen area.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:17 PM   #6957
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I know... but sometimes you have controls "near" border

Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:35 PM   #6958
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Both countries are in the Schengen area.
Custom controls despite Schengen are still possible - EU/CH or EU/N for example.

But of course nothing between LT and LV - we have EU and Schengen.
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 05:29 PM   #6959
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Custom controls despite Schengen are still possible - EU/CH or EU/N for example.

But of course nothing between LT and LV - we have EU and Schengen.
That doesn't mean a thing. Sometimes there are controls on the F/D border.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #6960
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Border between the Kingdom of Italy and the Austrian Empire, 1866-1918
http://maps.google.it/maps?q=Torvisc...75.84,,0,12.88
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways