daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 9th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #7021
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Can one cross directly between India and Pakistan?

Mike
I'm not sure at the moment.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #7022
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

The border crossing between Russia and Mongolia (Russian route M52). This complex is located about 5 kilometers inside Mongolian territory. The M52 was paved in 2007, I assume this building was built around the same time. Mongolian side is unpaved though. The nearest city (and paved road) in Mongolia is Olgii, about 100 kilometer southeast of here.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Vignole liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 04:40 AM   #7023
popcalent

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
There are is an industrial park in North Korea that is accessible by road from the South thanks to an agreement between the 2 countries.
If you're talking about Kaesong and Kumgangsan the two tours from South Korea have been discontinued since 2009, and as of 2012 the tours are neither resumed nor likely to resume.

The only part of North Korea accessible from the South is the north half of the conference room straddling the demarcation line at the Joint Security Area. It is also possible to visit the south half from North Korea.
popcalent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:35 AM   #7024
Vertigo
Fan van de Neudeflat

Likes (Received): 130

Right. It's a weird situation. Here's a picture I took in 2004, visiting this room from North Korea. Two North Korean soldiers are securing the door leading to South Korea, to prevent me from exiting there. (The border between both Korea's runs right through the table in the middle) Which means that actually, these North Korean soldiers are standing in South Korea...

I also wonder how they deal with the practical details. As tourists are entering from both North and South Korea, they will have to communicate with each other about this. I always found this curious, enemies communicating about these practical issues on a daily basis...

bogdymol liked this post
Vertigo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #7025
bogdymol
bogdymod

Please post more pics from this location if you have them
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #7026
popcalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
Right. It's a weird situation. Here's a picture I took in 2004, visiting this room from North Korea. Two North Korean soldiers are securing the door leading to South Korea, to prevent me from exiting there. (The border between both Korea's runs right through the table in the middle) Which means that actually, these North Korean soldiers are standing in South Korea...

I also wonder how they deal with the practical details. As tourists are entering from both North and South Korea, they will have to communicate with each other about this. I always found this curious, enemies communicating about these practical issues on a daily basis...
I'll be visiting the same room in a month, but from the south. My picture will be from the opposite side, with South Korean soldiers standing in North Korea.
Old March 10th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #7027
bogdymol
bogdymod

So you will be going on a trip in North Korea? That's something that I want to do one day, but right now it's quite expensive for my budget...

Please make a new thread in the travel section and share your pictures with us after you come back.

Have a safe trip!
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #7028
popcalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
So you will be going on a trip in North Korea? That's something that I want to do one day, but right now it's quite expensive for my budget...

Please make a new thread in the travel section and share your pictures with us after you come back.

Have a safe trip!
No, I'm going to South Korea. That's why I said I will have the opposite picture. That is, the same room but the other end, and South Korean soldiers guarding the opposite door.
Old March 11th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #7029
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcalent View Post

No, I'm going to South Korea. That's why I said I will have the opposite picture. That is, the same room but the other end, and South Korean soldiers guarding the opposite door.
So basically southern and northern guards are in the same room all day long, standing in each others country?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #7030
Vertigo
Fan van de Neudeflat

Nope, only either North or South Korean soldiers in the room at any time. I only saw North Korean soldiers there, Popcalent wil only see South Korean soldiers there.

Some more pictures:

Entering the Demilitarized Zone (actually looking back from the DMZ into North Korea). The large concrete gate has the obvious goal to block intruding armies in their path. Note the freeway sign after the gate. In the opposite direction, there's actually a sign saying how many kms to Seoul, don't have a picture of that.

An overview of the barracks on the border from the north side. The large building in the background is in South Korea.

The barracks on the outside.'It's a weird place. You could become breaking news and make headlines worldwide by just running 10-15 meters to the other side. The question is wether you would live to tell the tale. ;-)

My travel mate and me with a North Korean officer.

keokiracer liked this post

Last edited by Vertigo; March 11th, 2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old March 11th, 2013, 01:40 AM   #7031
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Interestingly, though North Korea and Russia don't have a road connection, they do have a rail connection. Obsiously, its usage involves a lot of bureaucracy...

Here's a story from 2008. I'm not sure how it works today.

http://vienna-pyongyang.blogspot.fi/

popcalent liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #7032
Vertigo
Fan van de Neudeflat

Ah yes, epic story by a brave/crazy Austrian guy who decided to try out that connection without telling the North Korean authorities about it. It should be easier nowadays, at least a Dutch travel agent was offering the possibility to enter North Korea via that route on their tours.
Old March 11th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #7033
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

That is proof that North Korea uses green motorway signs
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 02:18 AM   #7034
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:47 AM   #7035
Vertigo
Fan van de Neudeflat

Well, it is actually, I guess. I never saw a blue motorway sign in North Korea.
Old March 11th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #7036
popcalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
So basically southern and northern guards are in the same room all day long, standing in each others country?
No, nobody is in the room for the majority of the time. If you're visiting from the South, South Korean soldiers enter the room with your tour group and block the door to the North, then they leave the room after everyone else is out. If you're visiting from the North, North Korean soldiers enter the room with your tour group and block the door to the South, then they leave the room after everyone else is out. Tours are scheduled in a way that a tour from the South and a tour from the North do not occur at the same time.

I don't think there's ever soldiers of both sides inside the room at the same time. Except for when the conference room is used for its legitimate purpose, I reckon.

Last edited by popcalent; March 11th, 2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old March 11th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #7037
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Interesting...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #7038
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I read at some other time an article about that Zone. Departing from Seoul you had to book with 10 days in advance and there were some mandatory thing to take care. For instance, passport photocopy in advance when booking (and they had a list of country citizens not allowed there). There were someone more and maybe the most curious was not wearing army clothes or something related when visiting it.

They said the area that can be visited (and the points that never, never couldn't be crossed because would be considered as illegal inmigration within North Korea).

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #7039
vraem
BANNED

Location: in Latin America, The other East Europe in the world
Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Bolivia-Chile, bad... rest of them, it is not Schengen but borders can be crossed without many problems.

Maybe the most interenting point is this:

After one year training, they go for practices about another day to an army ship in the Ocean of any "friendly neighbour country". This is... any one except Chile: Peru, Argentina, Uruguay (it is not neighbour but close to), Brazil... and stay with its army for that period.
you're wrong if you think that the border between Peru and Chile were good...is worse than Bolivia

few years ago the government of Chile put landmines explosive in peru-chile frontera, the Peruvians trying to cross the border would be virtually killed exploiting these mines

you consider good that the government of Chile do that in the border :Ohno:

Last edited by vraem; March 12th, 2013 at 03:18 AM.
vraem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #7040
vraem
BANNED

Location: in Latin America, The other East Europe in the world
Likes (Received): 151

Peru Ecuador border

costa rica nicaragua border....the most fought by a lake and a river

vraem no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways