daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2013, 08:50 PM   #7161
zsimi80
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 553

Polish-Hungarian border (1939)

Rombi, Andrex liked this post
zsimi80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2013, 09:40 PM   #7162
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post
Many border stations/crossings across the European Union have been abandoned or simply not used anymore...
Only when both countries joined Schengen.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 09:57 PM   #7163
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsimi80 View Post
Polish-Hungarian border (1939)

Quite interesting piece of history at mountain ridge of Carpathians! Only interior Austrian/Hungarian border before 1920, Polish-Czechoslovakian border till that breaking March 1939, only Soviet inland after 1946 and Ukrainian inland after 1991....So Hungarian customs officers were just changing the CS-forerunners.
And without knowing it the Polish were going to close their business too.....

So called Kárpátalja has changed governors so many times in the 20th century! It could be compared easily with Istria - for example.....
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #7164
piotr71

Not really border crossing, however seems to be interesting.

Palm Sunday, Lithuania-Belarus.

https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/15980481
Old April 7th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #7165
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 02:29 AM   #7166
Orionol
Mötesplatsen

Likes (Received): 263

Cant they climb over the fence to their relatives?
Old April 8th, 2013, 04:38 AM   #7167
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I don't think it's allowed.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #7168
pobre diablo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionol View Post

Cant they climb over the fence to their relatives?
Only if they are in a suicidal mood.
pobre diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #7169
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I read an article about that fence. The article started stating that "having a Schengen area means that there is somewhere out of that area".

People weren't allowed to cross the border and they had to go away about 80 km to ask for a Visa and cross a custom control.

Visa fee was terrible according to their salaries... so that's the most common picture.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #7170
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Are there any guards or comprehensive surveillance on both sides of that fence? Looking at that picture it seems fairly easy to toss all sorts of things across the border.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #7171
BringMe
I Love You, Myself.

Likes (Received): 14291

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre diablo View Post
Only if they are in a suicidal mood.
Is the fence electrified or something?
BringMe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #7172
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Are there any guards or comprehensive surveillance on both sides of that fence? Looking at that picture it seems fairly easy to toss all sorts of things across the border.
Good question! I am afraid, I can't answer straightforward for that, however, can tell a short story , which will possibly clarify this and that.

Several years before Poland joined EU, my friends and I decided to visit Sweden. We had chosen to cross our Western border and get into Germany, then going through Danmark reach Sweden. Before lining up in a long queue to a border crossing with Germany we intended to find a nice spot for a quick picnic in woods near the border. It was a nice sunset back then. I just managed to get out of our car and stretch the hands when heard a firm command out of my back: stand still, don't move...

After some incredibly long 3 minutes and several quite personal questions, we were explained by two fully armed guards that this nice spot happened to be one of the most notorious illegal corridor for traffickers and that it wasn't wise to rest there. They also said that they had seen us some time before we stopped. Eventually, we were judged not guilty, let go free and recommended more suitable picnic area nearby.

I dare to say that Belorussian guards can detect every living creature long before it even thought to close to the border. As you can see, all those people on Belorussian side keep a certain distance from the fence. Otherwise, they would be caught, fined or even arrested.

cinxxx liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #7173
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Here you have a blog entrance related to Lithuania-Belarus border.
http://fronterasblog.wordpress.com/2...muro-schengen/

It is in Spanish but photos need no explanation, text can be easily translated with any on-line translator (no complicated sentences or so on) and should anyone needs help, just ask.

I think it is a very interesting entrance about this border written three years ago!!

Old April 9th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #7174
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Good question! I am afraid, I can't answer straightforward for that, however, can tell a short story , which will possibly clarify this and that.

Several years before Poland joined EU, my friends and I decided to visit Sweden. We had chosen to cross our Western border and get into Germany, then going through Danmark reach Sweden. Before lining up in a long queue to a border crossing with Germany we intended to find a nice spot for a quick picnic in woods near the border. It was a nice sunset back then. I just managed to get out of our car and stretch the hands when heard a firm command out of my back: stand still, don't move...

After some incredibly long 3 minutes and several quite personal questions, we were explained by two fully armed guards that this nice spot happened to be one of the most notorious illegal corridor for traffickers and that it wasn't wise to rest there. They also said that they had seen us some time before we stopped. Eventually, we were judged not guilty, let go free and recommended more suitable picnic area nearby.

I dare to say that Belorussian guards can detect every living creature long before it even thought to close to the border. As you can see, all those people on Belorussian side keep a certain distance from the fence. Otherwise, they would be caught, fined or even arrested.
Finland (I'm not sure about other countries) has established a so called Border Zone, reaching up to 3 km from the (Russian) border itself. Visiting the border zone for purposes other than crossing the border (which of course can only be done at certain points) requires a permit.

Not only is the actual border heavily supervised, so is also the outer limit of the border zone. When tourists stop there, just taking pictures of the border zone signs (not intending to actually enter the zone), they may expect company in a couple of minutes.

So such a picture could not be taken here...

Last edited by OulaL; April 9th, 2013 at 07:37 PM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #7175
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I read something about crossing the border had a very high fine (even if just crossing from Finland, staying and coming back) and... 50% if it was only the aerial space (this is, standing in Finland in the same border and putting your arms over Russian territory!!!!!!!)

Old April 9th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #7176
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Finland (I'm not sure about other countries) has established a so called Border Zone, reaching up to 3 km from the (Russian) border itself. Visiting the border zone for purposes other than crossing the border (which of course can only be done at certain points) requires a permit.

Not only is the actual border heavily supervised, so is also the outer limit of the border zone. When tourists stop there, just taking pictures of the border zone signs (not intending to actually enter the zone), they may expect company in a couple of minutes.

So such a picture could not be taken here...
The frontier zone at the Russian border is based on the treaty of Versailles on 1947, and it was demanded by the Soviet Union. Nowadays, those articles of the treaty are obsolete, but Finland wants to keep the zone, because it makes it easier to guard the border. No such a zone exists at the Norwegian or Swedish border. The rules related to the zone have been relieved a lot since 1947.

Taking photos of the zone or the signs is not forbidden.

MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #7177
OulaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
I read something about crossing the border had a very high fine (even if just crossing from Finland, staying and coming back) and... 50% if it was only the aerial space (this is, standing in Finland in the same border and putting your arms over Russian territory!!!!!!!)
I didn't know that. However, I do know that merely entering the border zone (which, as said, could be 3 km from the actual border) without a permit involves a fine.

Ignorance isn't an excuse, since the border zone is very clearly marked in terrain.
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #7178
OulaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Taking photos of the zone or the signs is not forbidden.
That's true, but frontier guards may nevertheless appear and ask the photographer what (s)he is doing, and politely ask (not officially order) him/her to move.

Stopped cars get the guards' attention, since those could be used to transport illegal immigrants or undeclared goods.
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #7179
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Linguistic issue...... why isn't a border area close to Russia with a sign in Russian (it is written in 5 languages but not Russian)

Old April 9th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #7180
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
That's true, but frontier guards may nevertheless appear and ask the photographer what (s)he is doing, and politely ask (not officially order) him/her to move.
Not a common procedure.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways