daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 20th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #7561
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
I lived in Esztergom 1992-98. I saw that bridge in ruins quite often...
The 2013-up-date (..good weather condition):

Alex_ZR, Singidunum, piotr71 liked this post
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:11 AM   #7562
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
I've never understood this - there was a proposal to open it for EU/Serbian citizens on foot, yet the proposal went nowhere. The buildings are still there - there's absolutely no reason not to allow foot traffic here. It's worth pointing out that while not specifically allowed, foot traffic is common.
Probably because of the lack of funding, although if it was integrated with the current crossing I am sure it would be minimal, but it takes organizational skills which are not present. Didn't know about the illegal foot traffic. It's odd because there are so many illegal migrants from countries like Afghanistan around Subotica trying to somehow cross into the EU. It doesn't sound realistic that people are just walking around without any control. Then all of the non locals would do the same thing.

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:16 AM   #7563
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I've never crossed a border on foot (except at tripoints).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:25 AM   #7564
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

I did few times here :https://maps.google.it/maps?q=49.416...num=1&t=h&z=17

Before EU you always needed the passport to go to Poland and at that turistic border crossing there was a small booth and I got on my passport a polish stamp where there was the sign of a bicycle and that border crossing was, and is also now, only for pedestrians and bicycles. It was an international border crossing, whoever who didn't need visa for Slovakia or Poland could cross that border.
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:37 AM   #7565
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16167

Are people who are not living in border areas allowed to cross the border anywhere or they have to go to where the designated crossings are?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement says "The agreement provided for harmonisation of visa policies, allowing of residents in border areas freedom to cross borders away from fixed checkpoints"

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:44 AM   #7566
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

I was talking when still Slovakia and Poland weren't even in the EU. Nowadays whoever is in a Schengen country can cross wherever he wants inside the treaty's space.
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:49 AM   #7567
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I've never crossed a border on foot (except at tripoints).
You've never been to the Transalpina Square since 2004?
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:08 PM   #7568
Verso
Islander

Yes, in early 2007, but there were two Italian cops at the square and I didn't feel like potentially talking to them, so I just stayed on our side.
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:05 PM   #7569
lukaszek89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
I was talking when still Slovakia and Poland weren't even in the EU. Nowadays whoever is in a Schengen country can cross wherever he wants inside the treaty's space.
I have also crossed border between PL-SK on foot couple times-before Schengen.
lukaszek89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:09 PM   #7570
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2082

I crossed several borders on foot, especially on mountains
(some of them with skis, too)
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:34 PM   #7571
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Photo taken from another trhead (source, a meteo server)

Cross country skiing resort in France (Le Somport), at RN-134, E-07 very close to the border (in fact all traffic would go by the tunnel).

tunnel is about 1100m and mountain pass is 1620m. It was used while the Roman Empire and they were who built the first "road" there (Summus Portus = Somport)

I do not know if you remember that I linked some ski lanes with google street view because a camera crossed there one year ago.
Some of those lanes are binational and you can practice cross country skiing crossing several times the French-Spanish border (if Alpine skiing only in the Spanish side there).

This picture is about facilities you have in the French side

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:41 PM   #7572
lukaszek89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre diablo View Post
Another border crossing Makaza - Nymphea which has been ready for a year now but Greece purposefully hasn't completed the road on their side.

BG

GR
why??
lukaszek89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 05:24 PM   #7573
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I crossed several borders on foot, especially on mountains
(some of them with skis, too)
I've done that too, but I meant controlled borders (through a border crossing).
Old May 21st, 2013, 06:16 PM   #7574
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

When you live in Baarle Nassau /Hartog it's very difficult not to cross the border on foot.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:03 PM   #7575
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I've done that too, but I meant controlled borders (through a border crossing).
Done that too:
Spain-Gibraltar;
Italy-Switzerland at Testa Grigia-Plateau Rosa (3480 m a.s.l.);
Italy-Vatican (of course).
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:27 PM   #7576
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

About crossing borders walking I remember once in the Pyrenees (very near the last snowed picture I posted) that I cross the border without having notice.

I went by train to Canfranc and later took the SNCF bus Canfranc-Oloron. I asked to driver to stop me just in one curve of the road, the nearest to the site I wanted. I had to pay until the next village but no problem from his side.

In fact it was because this service (now impossible because they go through the road tunnel and no through former RN-134) made several mountains curves and passed quite near to the point I wanted to arrive. It was a lake in the Spanish side but just touching the border... I could go from Candanchu ski resort walkin (more distance, same altitude) or from one point in the French road (less distance, more altitude to walk).

The driver took me off there and I started to go trekking. I asked how to arrive there and, after some crosses there was no wrong direction possible.

After walking for more than one hour I saw the first general long distance trekking route signal in that area. There are two routes, one mainly in Spain (and Andorra) but crossing several times to France (one of them there) and the other one in the French side (and Andorra and crossing several times to Spain).

I took my mountain map, saw the long distance route and should I had taken the correct route and arrived to that point... that meant that I had just crossed the border about 100m before in a hillside.

No signals in the path relating to border crossing at all. When I crossed (by bus) from Spain to France it was in the N-330/RN-134 - E-07 at Somport Mountain pass. Very easy to know the exact point of the border (and even if not currently used, the former custom cabins still keeps there)

When I came back, no signals relating to crossing borders appeared in the hillside. By the way, the same long distance trekking path crossed the border near there and nothing special (you had to look at your map to know that it was an international border where you were).

And in fact... I crossed the border twice again. As I said, my final destination was a lake very, very near to the border. I walked in the north side of it and I noticed one trekking signal written in French. That means that I had crossed the border again...

As you can see, quite close

https://maps.google.es/?ll=42.801478...38409&t=h&z=15

In general, in my region all the international border is just in the middle of mountain passes and that area is one of the exceptions.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:22 PM   #7577
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
When you live in Baarle Nassau /Hartog it's very difficult not to cross the border on foot.
If you are "lucky" enough, in that town (or should I say towns?) you can cross the border while sleeping and turning from one side to the other...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Singidunum, cinxxx liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:24 PM   #7578
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

I've crossed the Romanian border in 2009 at Nyírábrány/Valea lui Mihai (Érmihályfalva). I was with a group and it was much cheaper if the bus we travelled with doesn't have to cross the border. So we took the train to Nyírábrány, walked to the crossing, the police checked the passports and the bus was waiting for us at the other side. It was the same on the way back.
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 11:15 PM   #7579
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Done that too:
Spain-Gibraltar;
Italy-Switzerland at Testa Grigia-Plateau Rosa (3480 m a.s.l.);
Italy-Vatican (of course).
Since when is there control between Italy and the Vatican City? And at 3480 m?
Old May 21st, 2013, 11:30 PM   #7580
piotr71

I crossed several borders on foot:

Swinoujście - Ahlbeck. It was for pedestrian only border crossing back in nighties. We, friends of mine and I, went there just to sunbathe on a naturist beach.

Cieszyn - Cesky Tesin. Many, many times. I even brought my dog on the other side, since they got rid of borders' control

Leszna Górna - Horni Listna. Just to buy cheaper alcohol on Czech side of the village.

Petrzalka - Berg. It was my first visit to the Western Europe. I went there with my girl friend, who, some time later, became my first wife. I saw a condom's vending machine for the first time in Wolftshall train station back then.

I've been to both Baarles

I remember crossing Hungarian border with my parents, however I was a 6 year old child, so can't recall the exact location.

Tags
highways, motorways