daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #7761
MattiG

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
No motorways in Finland????
Of course, there are. But no motorway-specific speed limits. The speed limit is always signposted.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #7762
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Of course, there are. But no motorway-specific speed limits. The speed limit is always signposted.
Of course I know there are motorways in Finland (although not many), you just need to look at a map to know it. My comment was sarcastic, to underline a potential mistake in the sign.
I didn't know that there isn't a fixed speed limit, it's probably the only European country without it. So in theory you can have motorways with 150kph or even unlimited like in Germany?
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #7763
MattiG

Quote:
Of course I know there are motorways in Finland (although not many), you just need to look at a map to know it. My comment was sarcastic, to underline a potential mistake in the sign.
I didn't know that there isn't a fixed speed limit, it's probably the only European country without it. So in theory you can have motorways with 150kph or even unlimited like in Germany?
Your logic fails. There is nothing in the sign you could make the assumption of the unlimited speed on the motorways.

The message is crystal clear: 50 is the default speed limit in the built-up areas and 80 elsewhere on all roads, also motorways. Thus, no mistake.
Old June 25th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #7764
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1746

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Your logic fails. There is nothing in the sign you could make the assumption of the unlimited speed on the motorways.

The message is crystal clear: 50 is the default speed limit in the built-up areas and 80 elsewhere on all roads, also motorways. Thus, no mistake.
So if there is no signposted particular speed limit, you shouldn't drive faster than 80 on motorway? Am I right?
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #7765
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post

So if there is no signposted particular speed limit, you shouldn't drive faster than 80 on motorway? Am I right?
Speedlimits on motorways are always displayed digitally, up to 120 kph.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #7766
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Quote:
it's probably the only European country without it.
Norway is the same. No sign means 80, but there are still signs on 80kmh motorways to avoid confusion.
Old June 25th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #7767
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Yes. A few urban motorway sections have the speed limit 80 while the common limits are 100 and 120. During the winter time, the 120 limit is lowered to 100. In practice, the speed limits are always signposted.

https://maps.google.fi/?ll=60.165458...2,3.65,,0,3.77

https://maps.google.fi/maps?q=hista&...296.08,,1,2.06

https://maps.google.fi/maps?q=lakala...,238.52,,0,3.4
Old June 25th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #7768
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Speedlimits on motorways are always displayed digitally, up to 120 kph.
No, they are not. Most of the 1/E18 is controlled by telematics and varying speed limits. Still, the speed limits of most of the other motorways are shown by fixed signs.

Many of the fixed speed limit signs are dual ones in order to make it easier to switch from the winter limits to the summer ones and vice versa.

VITORIA MAN, Attus, riiga, geometarkv, Rombi liked this post
Old June 28th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #7769
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
BiH control is also there, although the booths were mostly empty, and if anyone was there, he did not even want to see the passports
Seems that BiH are treating it exactly the same as before - ignoring most traffic. I guess the amount of traffic travelling into the interior from Neum 1/2 must be absolutely minimal, so no need to bother inspecting most traffic.

Still, surprising - I expected them to start taking this border more seriously.

Quote:
I do not know, I wasn't given stamps at this crossing
But as far as I know Konfin is the HR-side and Kobila the MNE-side
I think there's a bit of a mix-up with that sign - Konfin/Kobila should be the official border crossing, but until the status of Prevlaka is resolved, the border crossing is at Vitaljina as Prevlaka is a neutralised zone. Perhaps it's been signed that way in anticipation of the arbitration agreement keeping things the way they are, but it's still wrong.

edit :

I've done some more research and it's officially GP Konfin.

For what it's worth, it's one of the best views from a border crossing - when I was there, the Croatian guards were sitting around in the sun admiring the bay. I suspect now that the road is finished, that border crossing will get much busier - the main HR/MNE one by all accounts is starting to be controlled as if it's an external Schengen border.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #7770
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
I've done some more research and it's officially GP Konfin.
Coincidence, in Italian confine means border.

Verso liked this post
Old June 30th, 2013, 04:34 AM   #7771
Eulanthe

Got a final answer as to the Kobila/Konfin situation.

The nearby cape is called Cape Kobila, while the location itself is called Konfin. There's also apparently Cape Konfin, and like all good arguments in the Balkans, they couldn't agree on a single name for the border crossing. This is consistent going all the way back to the breakup of Yugoslavia - but it doesn't answer the Vitaljina question.

As far as I can see, Vitaljina may have been on the stamps due to being on the edge of the UN zone - when GP Konfin opened (I believe in 1999, but I stand to be corrected) - the UN mission in Prevlaka was still active, which may explain why they were using Vitaljina instead of Konfin.

I guess someone will have to go to Konfin after tomorrow and get a stamp to find out. I'd love to go back

Last edited by Eulanthe; June 30th, 2013 at 04:42 AM.
Old June 30th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #7772
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

actually, Vitaljina is last inhabited place in HR before border. Konfin (note similarity with italian word confine) is only term for the location that indicates the border. frankly, i doubt there would be also cape Konfin (maybe there is). official name of the border crossing at HR side is Vitaljina indeed. here is the proof
Old June 30th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #7773
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

You are right, this map shows it as well. Therefore it is strange that the signage there shows "Konfin".
Now I still don't know about the border crossing "Dubravka" between HR and BiH in that area. I have been close there (not until the border unfortunately) but I didn't see any signs for a border, nor for a blocked road there.
Old June 30th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #7774
Eulanthe

I think I've finally figured it out - Cape Kobila and Cape Konfin are not the same place. They're about 600m apart, and it seems that the confusion is caused by Vitaljina border crossing (the legal name) being located at Cape Konfin rather than in Vitaljina. The signs are - therefore - wrong - as GP Konfin doesn't legally exist. But the issue is confused further by references to GP Konfin by the Croatians.

As for Dubravka - news to me too. Perhaps it's a tiny local border crossing - they don't tend to be signposted at all.

One interesting piece of news - Croatia apparently plans to reduce the number of crossings with BiH.
Old June 30th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #7775
italystf

Yesterday Italian cops chased an Italian woman for several kms into Slovenia (across Rabuiese crossing) and finally caught her. The reason: she filled the tank in Trieste and ran away without paying. Her car was stolen too, although she probably bought it from the thieve.

Do such agreements that allow cross-border chasing exist between all EU countries?
I read that the limit is 30km between I and SLO on all roads, 20 km between I and A on motorways and 10 km between I and A on regular roads.
Old June 30th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #7776
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I don't know. I heard about Dutch cops doing chases in Germany and Belgium quite often, and French police are in the Kortrijk area a lot chasing French gangstas from Lille.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #7777
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Could they catch her? AFAIK they can run into another member country, they have to immediately call the local police and only the local police can catch the suspicious person.
Such agreements are probably around all Schengen countries, for sure they exist between Austria and Slovakia, Netherlnds and Germany for example. On youtube you can find videos of dutch police that chase cars into Germany.
Old June 30th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #7778
bogdymol
bogdymod

The Schengen agreement allows cross-border pursuits for 30 km, but the police force of the other country has to be announced in the moment when the border is crossed, so they can send officers from their own country to continue the pursuit. Few years ago there even was an exercise near my town regarding a pursuit from Romania to Hungary.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

gogo3o liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #7779
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1407

image hosted on flickr

Hi guys!

Do you want to spend your summer vacation in a country where it's raining all days of the week, where it's windy and +13 in late june ?

If so Drive further! and cross this border !
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #7780
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
Could they catch her?
Yes, she was arrested.

Some months ago Slovenian cops chased and stopped a driver from near Koper to the Trieste bypass for reckless driving.

Tags
highways, motorways