daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:12 PM   #761
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

I don't know, but if it was over the motoray it wouldn't be a violation of Schengen as long as it doesn't have barriers. Plus, there are no customs controls, only police controls, the same that you could find anywhere inside a country, it's just that they still used the same building.

There are also some restrictions, for example the police don't let you to move around Spain ilegally, they can't prohibit you entering though. I remember watching a report on Spanish television in which some people from Eastern Europe (not EU citizens) tried to enter Spain by bus, but once in the Spanish side the police rejected them because they had no visas. The "funny" thing is that they weren't even suppossed to be in France, so they had crossed an external EU border with no problem The Spanish and French police also tries to prevent terrorism and drug trafficking. Still there are lots of roads crossing the Pyrenees with no control at all.
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:46 PM   #762
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

here are some photos made by me during summer holiday at iron gate border crossing between romania and serbia:
http://picasaweb.google.com/rmihailu...91783856504706
http://picasaweb.google.com/rmihailu...91808583046226
http://picasaweb.google.com/rmihailu...91827815050274
http://picasaweb.google.com/rmihailu...91841884964898
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:55 PM   #763
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Is it TITO over there?
Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:11 PM   #764
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicerón View Post
I don't know, but if it was over the motoray it wouldn't be a violation of Schengen as long as it doesn't have barriers. Plus, there are no customs controls, only police controls, the same that you could find anywhere inside a country, it's just that they still used the same building.

There are also some restrictions, for example the police don't let you to move around Spain ilegally, they can't prohibit you entering though. I remember watching a report on Spanish television in which some people from Eastern Europe (not EU citizens) tried to enter Spain by bus, but once in the Spanish side the police rejected them because they had no visas. The "funny" thing is that they weren't even suppossed to be in France, so they had crossed an external EU border with no problem The Spanish and French police also tries to prevent terrorism and drug trafficking. Still there are lots of roads crossing the Pyrenees with no control at all.
Well if they make the same border crossing as it was, I think it is a violation, as it is a kind of obstacle to the smooth and free movement of people.
About the illegality, for an EU citizen it is hard to prove he is doing something illegal. About the non Eu citizens well there are common Schengen visa. This is amazing that they entered without visa. But was it a long time ago? As there was a period when some EU Schengen countries didn't have the same visa policy.
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:13 PM   #765
eucitizen

PLH, well the serbs don't like too much Tito, they consider him the master of all the problems in the former Yugoslavia. Probably they didn't have the will to rmeove such an old artefact.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:39 PM   #766
panda80

i saw another 'TITO' in the serbian part of bosnia also.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:52 PM   #767
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo_B2 View Post
Tripoint in Basel
Switzerland - France - Germany

[IMG]http://i34.************/vucef.jpg[/IMG]

Very interesting point!!

You work in France, you eat in Germany but you live in Basel.

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:33 AM   #768
vlker
VUT Brno in SSC

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkodemo View Post
Very interesting point!!

You work in France, you eat in Germany but you live in Basel.

I would rather prefer to work in Schwitzerland, eat in France and live in Germany
vlker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:49 AM   #769
vlker
VUT Brno in SSC

Likes (Received): 3

Oh, and I wanted to write here some of my experiences from border crossing. We were travelling by train from Istanbul across Bulgaria and Serbia to Hungary (and then to CR). First I was amazed about bulgarian customs. I think they have to be very careful about this Turkey/Bulgaria borders, not only that now they are also in EU. So...Bulgarian custom officer came to us (5 students from Czech rep.), and with laugh he asked us whether we have some drugs with us from Turkey. We said (with laugh) no,we dont have any (of course we didnt had any) and he said ok, and came out. In my opinion its very lax behavior from Bulgarian customs.

On other hand, when we were travelling by InterCity Beograd-Budapest, there was a huge control in the train. Many hungarian policemans with dogs and ladders were searching through the train very carefouly. I saw even a few of Austrian police officers there.
vlker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 05:23 PM   #770
caminerillo
BANNED

Location: En algún lugar de Europa de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
Ok ok but this new building will be all over the motorway, or just on the side for every sense of march?I mean if they are going again to mount booth for border control, or to keep the motorway passage free? I think that rebuilding the control booth would be a violation of the Schengen agreement, as there is said that every member country has to remove any obstacle to let the vehicle pass through smoothly!
Is a clear violation of Schengen. I agree with you.
caminerillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 06:01 PM   #771
panda80

Quote:
Originally Posted by caminerillo View Post
Is a clear violation of Schengen. I agree with you.
i also agree with you.i went through la jonquera in 2005 with a bus, and police stopped us and didn't want to let us pass, even if they found nothing illegal at us.our ambassador in barcelona had to intervene to let us pass.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 06:36 PM   #772
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1085

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlker View Post
On other hand, when we were travelling by InterCity Beograd-Budapest, there was a huge control in the train. Many hungarian policemans with dogs and ladders were searching through the train very carefouly. I saw even a few of Austrian police officers there.
Its called "outer Schengen border",something the Czech Republic doesnt have.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 06:36 PM   #773
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

@panda80: They can be nasty to people they don't trust. If you're from Eastern Europe you are already suspicious for most of the border guards and they will check you.
Old September 24th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #774
eucitizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
Its called "outer Schengen border",something the Czech Republic doesnt have.
Yes the hungarian border police is very strict and sometimes unpleasant. Better the custom. Once entering Hungary from Serbia, a nice blonde custom officer wanted to check my car. She was very gentle and smiling at you, that you would declare everything
But usually the custom officers have a standard approach, asking only for cigarettes and alcohol, uninterested in other things.
Old September 24th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #775
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Ok ok but this new building will be all over the motorway, or just on the side for every sense of march?I mean if they are going again to mount booth for border control, or to keep the motorway passage free? I think that rebuilding the control booth would be a violation of the Schengen agreement, as there is said that every member country has to remove any obstacle to let the vehicle pass through smoothly!
As far as the act presented to the French parliament goes, there won't be a replacement for the old juxtaposed customs/passport control buildings. Instead, there will be two offices for police controls - the french one located on the south side of the toll area, and the Spanish one located just after the westbound entry sliproad. These won't be over the motorway - but at the side. Therefore, no issue with Schengen.

The question remains - why not simply build the Spanish office on their side of the frontier?

More information here, from the French National Assembly.

http://www.assembleenationale.fr/13/...ets/pl0943.pdf
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #776
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

This is the main Portugal-Spain border at Vilar Formoso.

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; September 27th, 2008 at 02:09 PM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #777
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

As a side note to my previous message, I'm actually surprised that the old passport/customs check area is not being replaced. This is a sensitive part of the world, and it is surprising that they haven't chosen to keep some sort of structure in order to keep traffic at a slow pace. It may be however, that they may implement speed limits so that traffic entering Spain may be monitored.

As for traffic being obstructed - I'm pretty sure that Schengen simply requires the removal of any permanent checks - ie, Switzerland will have to abandon the practice of requiring all cars to stop on some of the smaller crossings. However, it won't stop the presence of control buildings and lower speed limits.

The act before the French National Assembly makes it clear that the area given over to Spain does not extend to the toll booths - so it'll be interesting how they chose to monitor their traffic. It may be that cameras will be erected on the booths, with a feed given to the Spanish.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #778
Kvaka 22
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Debeli Brijeg, border crossing between Montenegro and Croatia.

Quote:
PLH, well the serbs don't like too much Tito, they consider him the master of all the problems in the former Yugoslavia. Probably they didn't have the will to rmeove such an old artefact.
Older generations like Tito, and younger generations don't care.
Kvaka 22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #779
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

That's a nice new station
Old September 28th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #780
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Looks like a huge spider
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags