daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #7781
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

So probably Italy and Slovenia signed a special agreement allowing that. I find that good as letting only the local police to go on with the chase often ends with the fugitive escaping.

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #7782
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Piazza Transalpina (Gorizia - Nova Gorica) in 1947. No crossing allowed!

Casa Rossa border crossing (closed until mid '50s)
The sign, in Italian and Slovenian (or maybe Serbo-Croat?) says "Temporary border between Italy and Yugoslavia". In those years the situation wasn't clear, Italians hoped to get Istria and Western Slovenia back and Yugoslavs wanted Trieste and Gorizia.

On 13 August 1950 the border was opened for few hours. Thousands of people flocked into the West to meet their relatives they couln't see since 1947 and to buy stuff that were impossible to find in communist Yugoslavia.

1st May 2004

Gorizia and Nova Gorica mayors

I went there that day.

Verso, Attus, Nikkodemo, geometarkv liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 12:01 AM   #7783
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
No motorways in Finland????
Turn 180 degrees here and enter Norway, and you don't find the default speed limits at all.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 01:00 AM   #7784
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Croatians... welcome to UE.
(since now, with the ID card would be enough for me to go there)

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 01:17 AM   #7785
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

I don't think you couldn't had gone with you Spanish ID there.
It should be the same as for Romanians, and we had and have no problems going with ID to Serbia, Croatia, Macedonia, BiH, Albania...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 07:40 AM   #7786
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quite often I see Austrian police vehicles in transit through Germany between Kufstein and Salzburg. And I often wondered... What if I pull my middle finger to them...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 08:51 AM   #7787
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Congratulations too...

But somehow, I can get rid of the feeling they have entered the sinking ship.
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 08:57 AM   #7788
Road_UK
BANNED

EU itself is not the problem. It's the countries that can't get their shit together, costing the citizens of economically stable countries loads of money. After Greece, Cyprus, Spain, Ireland and Portugal the buck is now being passed to Slovenia. Croatia is having problems as well, so I'm not holding my breath.
Old July 1st, 2013, 02:55 PM   #7789
GrahamClayton

Likes (Received): 38

Border crossing between the Vatican and Italy:

GrahamClayton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 03:41 PM   #7790
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Europeans can visit all Balkan countries with ID only. People from those countries, except Croats, need biometric passports to visit the EU. Until few years ago they even needed visa (you could have noticed this change by looking at the increased number of SRB-BIH-MK-AL registered cars on Italian roads).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
EU itself is not the problem. It's the countries that can't get their shit together, costing the citizens of economically stable countries loads of money. After Greece, Cyprus, Spain, Ireland and Portugal the buck is now being passed to Slovenia. Croatia is having problems as well, so I'm not holding my breath.
Unlikely many Europeans think, the current economical crisis originated in America in 2006-07, with the real estate bubble and the subprime mortgage issue. The crisis spread out across the ocean because of the decreasing demand of European goods by Americans and affected the fragile equilibre of the Eurozone. The main problem of the Eurozone is that it's a monetary union without political union. Before the introduction of the EFSF there was no any mechanism of solidarity towards weaker members. And you can't expect richer countries giving charity to others if they aren't obliged to do so. Of course Euro countries with weaker economies and corrupt governments were more affected by the global crisis. The real problems are many politicians in Rome, Athens, Madrid, Lisboa, Dublin, Ljubljana, Nicosia rather than in Bruxelles, Strasbourg or Frankfurt.

Last edited by italystf; July 1st, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old July 1st, 2013, 03:43 PM   #7791
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamClayton View Post
Border crossing between the Vatican and Italy:

Am I supposed to show my car insurance card/green card/car passport?
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 03:51 PM   #7792
Road_UK
BANNED

Italystf

That's only the tip of the iceberg. Countries including yours kept on spending and spending without looking at the cards. This has resulted in huge depths and inflation. Greece shouldn't even have joined the Eurozone in the first place the way it has been fiddling its books to justify its massive spending. And now Slovenia can't even afford to maintain its infrastructure.
Old July 1st, 2013, 03:58 PM   #7793
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Most countries recorded 40+ years of continuous deficit spending. Most countries wanted to drive a Ferrari while they only could afford a BMW. Not that a BMW is bad. The proposed and implemented budget cuts are actually quite marginal, most countries cannot even get to the 3% deficit limit (which is still a multi-billion deficit). Most austerity measures are not budget cuts but rather increases of taxation. I prefer budget cuts because tax increases are almost always permanent while budget cuts are temporarily.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 04:02 PM   #7794
Road_UK
BANNED

Tax increase does not help the economy. It only stops the public from spending, resulting in a malfunctioning economy.
Old July 1st, 2013, 04:08 PM   #7795
italystf

Quote:
Italystf

That's only the tip of the iceberg. Countries including yours kept on spending and spending without looking at the cards. This has resulted in huge depths and inflation. Greece shouldn't even have joined the Eurozone in the first place the way it has been fiddling its books to justify its massive spending. And now Slovenia can't even afford to maintain its infrastructure.
I know, it's very sad. They cut funds to healt, education and infrastructures but they keep overpaying our politicians.
One of the causes of the Greek crisis is the crazy expense for 2004 olympics games. For this reasons Monti withdrawn the Italian candidation to host the 2020 edition.
In Scandinavia, Germany, Switzerland, Benelux most politicians get a little more than regular people and don't have crazy retirement wages. Health and education are excellent and mostly free, infrastructures are perfect. Corruption is unheard of and when it happened the convicted is jailed and ostracized for life. In Southern and Eastern Europe people do that for decades without punishment.
Greece didn't joined Eurozone in 1999 like the other 11 countries but in 2001 because before it didn't meet minimal standards. However, it started using euro cash in 2002 like other countries. Also Italy was likely to be excluded but it didn't happen because our PM Romano Prodi between 1996 and 1998 was able to counterfeit our public accounts to made Italy better looking to Bruxelles eyes.
Old July 1st, 2013, 04:10 PM   #7796
italystf

Quote:
Tax increase does not help the economy. It only stops the public from spending, resulting in a malfunctioning economy.
Tax increase does not help the economy for the reason you said, but anti-evasion enforcement does. However the latter is difficult since politicians are the first who...
Old July 1st, 2013, 04:16 PM   #7797
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Am I supposed to show my car insurance card/green card/car passport?
You can enter St. Peter Square without any control. You have to pass through security check to enter the Basilica and the Vatican Museums. Other Vatican palaces and the Vatican gardens can be visited only with guided tours.
The gate on the picture is Porta Angelica. Only autorized vehicles are allowed and pedestrian can enter by showing a document with a reason (visit the Sant'Anna church, going to the Vatican pharmacy, postal office, philatelic-numismatic shop,...).
Old July 1st, 2013, 04:59 PM   #7798
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
The real problems are many politicians in Rome, Athens, Madrid, Lisboa, Dublin, Ljubljana, Nicosia rather than in Bruxelles, Strasbourg or Frankfurt.
I agree. However most of the European governments blame Bruxelles for all of their problems, and many people believe that - that's the first reason why EU so unpopular is.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 05:03 PM   #7799
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

That's a typical approach of politicians to blame the EU, even though those exact same politicians voted in favor of EU regulations. Many EU regulations in the Netherlands are adopted even stricter than necessary, after which they blame the EU.

I do think though, that the EU went over the top in regulating and standardizing everything. Regulations and standardizing are a mean to achieve something, not an end.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 05:09 PM   #7800
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

The best should be that any new EU treaty follows the US constitution where the is clearly defined what are the competences of the federal government and what are those of the single states.

Tags
highways, motorways