daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #7961
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Vichy France was for a while not occupied by the Germans, but Petain who ruled Vichy France was nevertheless a Nazi sympathiser.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #7962
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
French, German and Dutch police and customs patrol vehicles are still strategically placed at borders to stop vehicles that may look suspicious. In Germany particularly in Bavaria at the Austrian border to randomly check mainly eastern European and Italian vehicles, but also on the Dutch border to stop and search their own citizens returning from the Netherlands after they have done some shopping. French vehicles often get searched by the Dutch upon entering the Netherlands and by the Belgians when they leave the Netherlands, and with what comes out these stop and search checks are heavily needed.
Police is not that stupid to just check based on registration plates... if that was true any criminal would just need to rent a car with registration plates of a certain country to move around without any fear.... When the police sets up a control they usually stop based on face features ("do they look like criminals?"), schengen database ("does this vehicle registration plate appears listed as being robbed on the database?") and attitude ("do they look afraid of us?").

I have driven thousands and thousands of kms on the countries you mention and crossed infinite times these borders with cars from different countries without feeling the discrimination you mention, nor seeing such strict control...

Anyway, I believe that people that complain about Schengen usually don't remember, are too young or didn't travel much often before 1992.... because my own memories are that things were not that different on continental Europe before Schengen.... Yes, there were customs booths at motorways, but they didn't stop every vehicle... and on regular roads it was quite common to find empty booths or customs agents that never ever asked for ID or searched your car...

The other usual complain about Schengen, the one about massive inmigration and crime usually ignores the fact that countries with heavily guarded borders such as USA, UK, etc have the very same problems as continental Europe (or worst...).

Unfortunately nowdays politicians of several countries (specially Netherlands and the UK, but also the previous governments of France and Denmark) want to get votes from people that don't travel enough, don't know how things actually work and that could be easily scared if they distort the data enough...

cinxxx, Verso liked this post
MrAkumana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #7963
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

arneguy (e-f border)

VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #7964
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAkumana View Post
Police is not that stupid to just check based on registration plates... if that was true any criminal would just need to rent a car with registration plates of a certain country to move around without any fear.... When the police sets up a control they usually stop based on face features ("do they look like criminals?"), schengen database ("does this vehicle registration plate appears listed as being robbed on the database?") and attitude ("do they look afraid of us?").

I have driven thousands and thousands of kms on the countries you mention and crossed infinite times these borders with cars from different countries without feeling the discrimination you mention, nor seeing such strict control...

Anyway, I believe that people that complain about Schengen usually don't remember, are too young or didn't travel much often before 1992.... because my own memories are that things were not that different on continental Europe before Schengen.... Yes, there were customs booths at motorways, but they didn't stop every vehicle... and on regular roads it was quite common to find empty booths or customs agents that never ever asked for ID or searched your car...

The other usual complain about Schengen, the one about massive inmigration and crime usually ignores the fact that countries with heavily guarded borders such as USA, UK, etc have the very same problems as continental Europe (or worst...).

Unfortunately nowdays politicians of several countries (specially Netherlands and the UK, but also the previous governments of France and Denmark) want to get votes from people that don't travel enough, don't know how things actually work and that could be easily scared if they distort the data enough...
I do all the time for a living. Particularly when still driving a British registered van I got stopped constantly by the French and Germans. I know what I'm talking about. It's been like this over 10 years when I first started doing this job.
Old July 18th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #7965
timeandspace

regarding schengen, as full-fledged EU members bulgarians and romanians already enjoy full freedom of movement visa-free within the whole union, so schengen or not does not really make that big of a difference for passengers, drawbacks of lackthereof are more on the freight front and affect everybody, even destination customers within EU or FMCG/other sector business that sell in RO and BG but deliver from schengen.
timeandspace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #7966
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeandspace View Post
regarding schengen, as full-fledged EU members bulgarians and romanians already enjoy full freedom of movement visa-free within the whole union, so schengen or not does not really make that big of a difference for passengers, drawbacks of lackthereof are more on the freight front and affect everybody, even destination customers within EU or FMCG/other sector business that sell in RO and BG but deliver from schengen.

It is annoying to stop at the borders between Greece and Bulgaria though...
Maybe next year that may change...
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #7967
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
I do all the time for a living. Particularly when still driving a British registered van I got stopped constantly by the French and Germans. I know what I'm talking about. It's been like this over 10 years when I first started doing this job.
Vans gets stopped quite often indeed (that's seems something that works like that all over the world, as I remember seeing the same happening on North and South America)... but maybe that was the reason, your car itself and not the registration plates.

Anyway there are a lot of things that are impossible to prove as are mainly based on the each one's personal experiences. Since mine was very different I just wanted to write it down too.
Old July 18th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #7968
Skyline_

Funny stuff...
Old July 18th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #7969
Skyline_

Old July 18th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #7970
TurboEngine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 358

Quote:
No, but it'll lower the chances of any of it leaving the country, hence Britain never signed up to Schengen in the first place. It will also prevent foreign criminals robbing other countries. It seems particularly Bulgarians have found a way to scam the Dutch welfare system...
Scamming the welfare system has nothing to do with Schengen. It's amazing how people still don't understand what the Schengen space actually provides.
TurboEngine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #7971
TurboEngine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Are they waiting RO and BG to join Schengen to open it without build border cabins?
No, because who knows when that will be. A check point will be built there.
Old July 18th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #7972
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboEngine View Post

Scamming the welfare system has nothing to do with Schengen. It's amazing how people still don't understand what the Schengen space actually provides.
I know what Schengen is, and with Schengen being implemented in between borders, it means that every ****** gets free travel without being checked where they're going and what they're doing.

Don't pretend you're surrounded by twats please thank you very much.
Old July 18th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #7973
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

(delete)

Skyline_ liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #7974
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post
The sign at 1'05" is written in Latin, Chinese and Cyrillic script ... but not in Urdu script, the only one official in Pakistan?

Skyline_ liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #7975
Skyline_

Quote:
I know what Schengen is, and with Schengen being implemented in between borders, it means that every ****** gets free travel without being checked where they're going and what they're doing.

Not at all. You don't really understand how this works. Switzerland is in Schengen too. Because you can visit Switzerland without any obstacle, it doesn't mean you can stay there forever or work etc. Moreover, it doesn't mean the police won't pull you over, if they want to check your passport or ID card.

Hell, the UK and Ireland are both outside the Schengen Area but they have signed a bilateral "Schengen-style" agreement and crossing from the republic of Ireland to Northern Ireland is utterly free of checks. Is that bad too?
Old July 18th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #7976
TurboEngine
BANNED

Quote:

What check do you think there is now without Schengen? Let me tell you - they glance over your ID for a split second.
Old July 18th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #7977
Road_UK
BANNED

That's right. What the **** do I know, I only cross these borders everyday...
Old July 18th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #7978
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboEngine View Post

What check do you think there is now? Let me tell you - they glance over your ID for a split second.
And then check the number in your passport to see what you've been up to like they did the other week coming out of Holland...
Old July 18th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #7979
Skyline_

Quote:
That's right. What the **** do I know, I only cross these borders everyday...
So you fly from England to the Old Continent every day or something?
Old July 18th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #7980
TurboEngine
BANNED

Quote:

And then check the number in your passport to see what you've been up to like they did the other week coming out of Holland...
They could do that but most of the time they don't. As I said, they glance over it which means exactly that and there is no swiping, checking in the database, etc.

Tags
highways, motorways