daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #7981
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post

Not at all. You don't really understand how this works. Switzerland is in Schengen too. Because you can visit Switzerland without any obstacle, it doesn't mean you can stay there forever or work etc. Moreover, it doesn't mean the police won't pull you over, if they want to check your passport or ID card.

Hell, the UK and Ireland are both outside the Schengen Area but they have signed a bilateral "Schengen-style" agreement and crossing from the republic of Ireland to Northern Ireland is utterly free of checks. Is that bad too?
It is not always free of checks, and often every single passenger gets checked by police at the port of Holyhead. They should do it more often. Open borders is nice, but I find security far more important. At least the French and Germans understand this. Also, in between Schengen countries not everything can be moved freely. Too many cigarettes, alcohol and fuel in cans still has to be declared.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #7982
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:

So you fly from England to the Old Continent every day or something?
I drive around in a van doing European express deliveries for a company in the UK. I've moved out of the UK 4 years ago and moved to Austria, but still do it freelance in my own van for the same UK company as in this job it doesn't matter where you live. Been doing this for 10 years now.
Old July 18th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #7983
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboEngine View Post

They could do that but most of the time they don't. As I said, they glance over it which means exactly that and there is no swiping, checking in the database, etc.
The French don't, the Germans and Dutch do. Always.
Old July 18th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #7984
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
It is not always free of checks, and often every single passenger gets checked by police at the port of Holyhead. They should do it more often. Open borders is nice, but I find security far more important. At least the French and Germans understand this. Also, in between Schengen countries not everything can be moved freely. Too many cigarettes, alcohol and fuel in cans still has to be declared.

Basically that's because the Single Market does not exist yet. If I import something from England for example, the custom officer will charge me something like 2% as an additional tax.

Regarding checks, Are you implying that there are police checks on the roads that connect Northern Ireland to the Republic, at the border lines?
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #7985
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:

Basically that's because the Single Market does not exist yet. If I import something from England for example, the custom officer will charge me something like 2% as an additional tax.

Regarding checks, Are you implying that there are police checks on the roads that connect Northern Ireland to the Republic, at the border lines?
I don't know, I've always moved freely on that border. But they do between the Republic and the UK mainland at times. Even at the Dublin and Dun Laoghaire ports there are Irish customs officers present, although I never got checked by them. Only by the Welsh police quite often.

Also, these excise limits I've mentioned also applies on the mainland of Europe within Schengen. If you decide to fill your car with thousands of cigarettes from Luxembourg and you come across a French stop and search from the Douanes the French will have ya. And they will have you good! French customs are likely to stop you anywhere in France, not just at borders. Toll plazas are good places to pull you out...

Last edited by Road_UK; July 18th, 2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old July 18th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #7986
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
It seems particularly Bulgarians have found a way to scam the Dutch welfare system...
Don't you always whine about gypsy generalizations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
The sign at 1'05" is written in Latin, Chinese and Cyrillic script ... but not in Urdu script, the only one official in Pakistan?
Not to mention "Alam Ata".
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #7987
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
It's a hot news item in Holland. And a Dutch news crew actually went to Bulgaria to a village where the locals were boasting how they did these runs to Holland to get money of the government.
Old July 18th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #7988
timeandspace

yes. racism and prejudices are a form of public opinion that is quite popular in NL, suprisingly. unfortunatelly they are resilient toxic ideas and fed by groups with short-term interests and haters.

volkskrant had a police report that was telling: from people involved/caught in human trafficking in 2012 over a thousand were dutch citizens. next in line were bulgarians at 40 indivuals. hmmmm

isolationism is not the solution. europe and the world needs more mobility not this nation-state BS
timeandspace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #7989
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
It's a hot news item in Holland. And a Dutch news crew actually went to Bulgaria to a village where the locals were boasting how they did these runs to Holland to get money of the government.
Many of those Bulgarians are probably gypsies (but I'm not sure if majority).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #7990
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

First there were cavemen, then villages, then city-states, then kingdoms, then empires, then nation states, then Unions of States (European Union, African Union, South American Union....) then what? Whatever comes next, it WILL come. History leaves no doubts about that. Evolution is unstoppable, in all regards: Natural, political, cultural, etc.

The only question is when and how countries (states) will be like.
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #7991
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I wanted to ask the same, but it's useless. People like him blame others for generalization, but use it too, but twist the meaning so it suits them and then it should be alright.

I guess there should only be an elite Schengen, with D, NL, F, DK, B, L, maybe A, and all problems there will be solved, and they will live happy without those nasty EEs ruining their wonderful life.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #7992
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post

I wanted to ask the same, but it's useless. People like him blame others for generalization, but use it too, but twist the meaning so it suits them and then it should be alright.

I guess there should only be an elite Schengen, with D, NL, F, DK, B, L, maybe A, and all problems there will be solved, and they will live happy without those nasty EEs ruining their wonderful life.
You forgot Finland Sweden , Spain and Portugal.
Old July 18th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #7993
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Finland, Sweden, Norway can be added too.

Spain and Portugal are corrupt, bankrupt with high unemployment.
Those Latins are not suited to healthy western mentality, the same goes for Italy.

Then you can all live happy lives and leave us EE criminals in peace.
Or wait, you only like those EEs who do work you don't like doing anymore?
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #7994
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
You forgot Finland Sweden , Spain and Portugal.
Don't worry about us... Finland, Sweden and Norway could screw Schengen and do very well with our own union, just with the three.

Whenever going to or coming from any other country, we must stop anyway (be it Russia, a ferry terminal, or Øresund toll booth). Border checks wouldn't make it much worse.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #7995
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Finland, Sweden, Norway can be added too.

Spain and Portugal are corrupt, bankrupt with high unemployment.
Those Latins are not suited to healthy western mentality, the same goes for Italy.

Then you can all live happy lives and leave us EE criminals in peace.
Or wait, you only like those EEs who do work you don't like doing anymore?
That'd be handy. That's where the Pole's come in. I'm all for integration, and I do hope that Bulgaria and Romania get everything in order which will see them fit to join Schengen. Poland managed, and I can see them becoming a European powerhouse once the crisis is over.

Anyway, you're like an ex girlfriend of mine. She always used to say that she'll ignore me, but she never did...
Old July 18th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #7996
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post

Don't worry about us... Finland, Sweden and Norway could screw Schengen and do very well with our own union, just with the three.

Whenever going to or coming from any other country, we must stop anyway (be it Russia, a ferry terminal, or Øresund toll booth). Border checks wouldn't make it much worse.
I'm not worried about you. I happen to love these countries. I want to get in...
Old July 18th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #7997
OulaL

Quote:
I'm not worried about you. I happen to love these countries. I want to get in...
Well, that was pretty easy before Schengen, provided your documents were ok - and there wasn't even a bridge. I don't mean it should be any harder by now...
Old July 18th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #7998
Road_UK
BANNED

By the way, there has been a lot of customs checks at Helsingborg lately. But unlike the French and Germans they always leave me alone.
Old July 18th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #7999
timeandspace

Quote:
I'm all for integration, and I do hope that Bulgaria and Romania get everything in order which will see them fit to join Schengen. .
they are already prepared. multiple reports have indicated this as "technically fully prepared"

due to poltical reasons ( thus subjective/rehtoeric/perceptions/societal/cutlural/surface reasons) in the home countries of western european states, the MCV ( mechanism for co-operations and verfication) that is part of the EU accession is now used as a benchmark to "hold accountable" eastern states before they are royally allowed to join the noble and superior schengen states. in fact it is the lack of politcal capital of the politicians and the bigoted views of the populace that hinders this expansion. the zeitgeist.

as such, just as media feeds the fears and hates of its readers, polticians and eurocrats act on the subjective abstract perceptions which they need to get elected.

of course there are structural problems with romania and bulgaria, poverty and criminality and roma integration being the main ones. but these are not directly schengen related.the issue only serves to identify the entrenched views that rule the politics in member states because it gives a chance for voices to oppose soemthing that in fact is already accomplished (freedom of movement).

in fact i ahve met many people that are ignorant about wehter romania is in the EU, what it entails, and what schengen could change. however they are still adamant about having an opinion even if it is an uninformed one. blame it on the gut feeling.
timeandspace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #8000
OulaL

Quote:
By the way, there has been a lot of customs checks at Helsingborg lately. But unlike the French and Germans they always leave me alone.
We (me and my wife) were stopped right after the bridge toll (going to Sweden) and had our car inspected a couple of weeks ago. We were just on a holiday with a person car.

I usually speak Swedish in Sweden but the officer's dialect was so difficult (close to Danish) that we changed into English...

Tags
highways, motorways