daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 5th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #8201
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Partly wrong. Customs are entitled to stop and search you anywhere within Schengen. Not just on borders, but also far inland as they do in France and Germany. And sometimes even in Belgium and Italy.

Both French and German customs are still pretty active alongside their mutual borders.

And they will make inquiries about cigarettes, alcohol and fuel in jerrycans bought in other member states, and fine you if you're over the limit. But mostly they're searching for drugs.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #8202
UK86
UK86

Likes (Received): 32

I understand Schengen as a scheme of free movement but at what point does it have the ability to stop criminals passing through borders? Is there an EU wide arrest warrant? Even so if there is, the criminal could have already passed from one jurisdiction to another.
UK86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #8203
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alqaszar View Post
If I could ever understand why they had to split up good ol' Yugoslavia. They will end up in the EU anyway, they just could have skipped civil war. But maybe they got a border crossing fetish down there.

However, Yugoslavia is a nice country, and after my own nation really ****ed up during the last century, I've learned to ask no question how far human insanity will go.

because it was artificially created country, so its alpha decay was obvious.
Old August 5th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #8204
Kaczorm

Likes (Received): 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
But to wait 3-4 days at a border crossing
It's normal on Polish-Ukranian border crossings. Maybe not for private cars ( often you have to wait for 8 hours one way, sometimes you can cross the border in 30 minutes but rarely ) but for trucks. There are often queues for 10-20 kms so it takes them 2-3 days to cross. But remember, UA is not in the EU.
Kaczorm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #8205
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Pfff... Comes out of nowhere ordering me about... This Gibraltar border situation is a big thing right now.
Wrong answer.
Old August 6th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #8206
bogdymol
bogdymod

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

ScraperDude liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #8207
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

http://praguemonitor.com/2013/08/05/...ious-head-gear

Czech "Pastafarian" wins right to wear kitchen utensil as official religious head gear
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #8208
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2083

He's a fraud. According to our religious beliefs, we Pastafarians dress as pirates.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #8209
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 410

PLH - I hope this post is acceptable!

In reference to the Spain/Gibraltar border crossing, something that struck me after visiting there several times was how utterly poorly equipped the whole border crossing was on both sides.

For instance, as far as I remember, there are only three lanes crossing from Spain into Gibraltar - two car and one truck. That's absolutely pathetic by all accounts for such a busy border crossing.

In respects to the Spanish exit crossing - they have plenty of land on the Spanish side and could easily build a modern facility with the ability to do proper Schengen exit checks there. The Gibraltar side is more pushed for space, but there should be the space to at least build a 'one stop control' building with 6 lanes rather than the current 3.

Changing over to the Gib exit/Spain entry situation -

Gibraltar's lack of interest in exit controls is their decision, but Spain has no reason not to build a much bigger facility on their side to handle the traffic. They've got a significant amount of space on their side - if they wanted, they could build a modern border terminal holding both exit and entry controls and allowing lanes to be reversed as required.

I've always found the Spanish and Gibraltarian approach to passport controls on that border to be nothing short of diabolical given Schengen rules - I don't think I've once opened my passport there, including one stupid night that resulted in crossing the border drunk many times (a friend lives close to the border on the Gibraltar side, we came up with the idea to drink a beer on the Gib side, then a shot on the Spanish side, repeat).
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #8210
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Here are some photos of a virtually unknown border dispute with Spain that no one cares about. According to the Spanish government, the West bank of the River Guadiana in this area is Spanish and according to Portugal, both sides of the river are Portuguese, the 'dispute' covering the municipalities of Olivenza and Táliga (or Olivença and Talega).

I went there in July. My camera as out of battery, so I took the photos with my phone. (Apart from the first one I think).

So on the road from Elvas to Olivenza, there are two bridges, an old ruined one and a new one.

Elvas [P]/Olivenza[E]/Olivença[P]

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

And the old bridge:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Verso liked this post
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #8211
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Great! A couple of years ago we had a Dutchman who managed to get an ID-card with a photo with him as a Joker, because it was his religion

Old August 6th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #8212
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Here are some photos of a virtually unknown border dispute with Spain that no one cares about. According to the Spanish government, the West bank of the River Guadiana in this area is Spanish and according to Portugal, both sides of the river are Portuguese, the 'dispute' covering the municipalities of Olivenza and Táliga (or Olivença and Talega).
What do local populations think?
Old August 7th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #8213
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

There was one poll in a newspaper and indiference was the result. This is... A lot of generations have passed since then and current one takes no care. They do not have special feelings... That's all. And since being part of EU when it is easier to share anything and do not have customs... They take less care indeed.

By the way, in Spain there are official language schools which offers you a diploma (teaching until level C1 and being an official diploma given by ministery).
They are in main cities and towns
Spme of them bigger or quite small. Some of them with only three or four languages to teach, other ones more (record, one with 23 different languages, a real Babel tower).

And... In fact, half of Spanish pupils who learn Portuguese are from that region. Yeah... It is a boundy region with Portugal and its biggest city only 4 km away from the border. But it is not quite populated at all and I am talking about half Spanish pupils who learn Portuguese live there.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #8214
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

What do people in Olivenza speak as first language, apart from school? I mean, what do they speak at home? Language has a big influence on the sense of identity.
Old August 7th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #8215
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Spanish... But let's remember that for four decades a generation had another government, without international movements.

There is a curious case in the north of Portugal were two quite smalls villages are joined but separates by a river... and a border.

Bars are only in one side and shops in the other side. You will hear there both languages in both sides.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #8216
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Portuguese was spoken there until the 1950's and until relatively recently it was discouraged by the Spanish government (in the 19th century, not long after it became Spanish the schools were forced to teach in Spanish etc. There is however in the museum a very interesting plaque that must have been on a house, and is not 200 years old, which was obviously put up by some people not happy that Olivenza was in Spain). I did get the impression, however, that people there understood Portuguese better than most Spanish people.

Have a look in the bilingual signs thread in a moment.
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 02:13 AM   #8217
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

Does Russia have an International border fence a few KM inside of Russia/Finnish border? or is it some old border fence before a border alignment? Kuoloyarvi, Murmanskaya it seems to cross the road there.
Old August 7th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #8218
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraperDude View Post
Does Russia have an International border fence a few KM inside of Russia/Finnish border? or is it some old border fence before a border alignment? Kuoloyarvi, Murmanskaya it seems to cross the road there.
Hard to tell without actually seeing it.

How do the road and the fence cross each other - is there any control? If not, it might be a reindeer fence - meant to prevent the reindeer from wandering abroad, or even too close to the actual borderline.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #8219
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraperDude View Post
As I recall - yes. It's the old Soviet border fence, and as far as I'm aware is still maintained.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #8220
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
What do people in Olivenza speak as first language, apart from school? I mean, what do they speak at home? Language has a big influence on the sense of identity.
(1) There's an interesting site on this sort of thing: http://ec.europa.eu/languages/euromosaic/es8_en.htm

(2) Um, hi, all.

g.spinoza, Road_UK liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways