daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #8241
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Italian police often patrol with the Austrian police in Innsbruck. Police officers from all over Europe helped out at the Tour de France. During the Germany Euro Cup, Germany temporarily cancelled Schengen, and German police officers were even checking vehicles at the port of Dover. French police have their own office, custody area and passport control facilities at the port of Dover anyway...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #8242
dundee5486

Likes (Received): 6

Zittau (D) - Sieniawka (PL)

Kopaczow (PL) - Oldřichov na Hranicích (CZ)

Zgorzelec (PL) - Görlitz (D)

http://www.panoramio.com/user/1978898
dundee5486 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #8243
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Sometimes I wonder if the EU will end up like the US. Interstate highways are similar. Crossing from Germany to Poland was like crossing from one federal state to another.
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #8244
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Italian police often patrol with the Austrian police in Innsbruck. Police officers from all over Europe helped out at the Tour de France. During the Germany Euro Cup, Germany temporarily cancelled Schengen, and German police officers were even checking vehicles at the port of Dover. French police have their own office, custody area and passport control facilities at the port of Dover anyway...
British police assist local police forces whenever England, or English clubs, are playing abroad. They're mainly there to spot troublemakers, or people with banning orders, but let the local police make the actual arrest if any are found.

I may be wrong but its the same for Wales & Scotland. It certainly is true for some Welsh & Scottish clubs.

When I've been to Germany to watch my club (Sunderland) play (admittedly not many times) the Redcaps stationed nearby are always in attendance and help the local police force police our support.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #8245
bogdymol
bogdymod

Today I saw a Hugarian police car parked near a supermarket in Arad, Romania. It's not the first time I see them in Arad.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #8246
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

At almost ever motorway border crossing between the Netherlands and Germany you see a German police car on the Dutch side of the border. I've been checked by French customs in Germany quite often at Saarbrücken, a few miles from the actual border... Just outside a German police station.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #8247
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

Arad is not really a few miles from the border, it's a little further, around 25km from the first border crossing
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #8248
bogdymol
bogdymod

They have a very good colaboration with the Romanian police and they often do together some police controls. I see them in Arad every 2 months or so. Maybe they come even often and I don't see them all the time.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 04:26 AM   #8249
erxgli

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
Dominican Republic and Haiti in Hispaniola Island; Chile and Argentina in Tierra del Fuego Island; Indonesia and Papua New Guinea in New Guinea Island; Brunei, Indonesia and Malaysia in Borneo Island; Sweden and Finland in Märket Island, etc.

Does somebody have pictures of those borders?

erxgli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 05:06 AM   #8250
erxgli

Likes (Received): 17

Nogales border

Nogales Sonora Mexico - Nogales Arizona USA border 1898

Boundary line between Mexico and the USA, general view of center of town from hillside, looking west along International Street

Photo of United States Army soldiers guarding the international border (International Street)
at Nogales, Arizona and Nogales, Sonora during the Mexican Revolution (1910-1920).
The metal obelisk at the center is a border marker and still stands today.

Nogales Arizona and Nogales Sonora today

los77 liked this post
erxgli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 05:13 AM   #8251
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

Well, that was a tight border area for sure
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #8252
albertocsc
Translator and traveller

Likes (Received): 49

I think they are building a tunnel under Gibraltar Airport to make crossing from/to La Línea easier. By the way, I am not sure if it will be a full new border crossing or if it will just use present crossing facilities. Anyone has more information?
albertocsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #8253
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Don't mention Gibraltar! Mentioning Gibraltar around here has consequences these days.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #8254
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertocsc View Post
I think they are building a tunnel under Gibraltar Airport to make crossing from/to La Línea easier. By the way, I am not sure if it will be a full new border crossing or if it will just use present crossing facilities. Anyone has more information?
As far as I know, the tunnel will go under the airport and emerge at the site of the present border crossing. I could be wrong, but I think it's likely that the tunnel will come out near the present "commercial gate" and then use the existing roadway under the new terminal building.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #8255
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Don't mention Gibraltar! Mentioning Gibraltar around here has consequences these days.
Well, no mention of the dispute, there should be no problem. Anyways, you already know my position about Gibraltar, and I won't come up again in order not to get banned.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #8256
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by erxgli View Post

Divided cities always remind me of former Berlin or current Nicosia. It's depressive.

VITORIA MAN liked this post

Last edited by PLH; August 10th, 2013 at 03:27 PM.
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #8257
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Well, no mention of the dispute, there should be no problem. Anyways, you already know my position about Gibraltar, and I won't come up again in order not to get banned.
I was joking. :-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #8258
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertocsc View Post
Is that necessary? The airport has very few flights and the level crossing is closed only a couple of times per day...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #8259
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by erxgli View Post

[B]Boundary line between Mexico and the USA, general view of center of town from hillside, looking west along International Street
I am wondering why in those days such towns were built at a border so that the citiy would be devided immidiately.
Old August 10th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #8260
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Is that necessary? The airport has very few flights and the level crossing is closed only a couple of times per day...
The intention is (as part of the Cordoba Agreements) that the airport will become something similar to Geneva or Basel/Mulhouse in terms of being a bi-national airport.

For instance - let's say that there's a flight from Gibraltar to San Sebastian. Travellers from Spain will be able to enter the airport from La Linea and fly to San Sebastian without crossing the Gibraltar frontier - the airport may be physically on Gibraltarian territory, but like the French sector in Geneva, they would remain (for customs/police purposes) on Spanish territory. Travellers from Gibraltar would have to clear Spanish controls before taking such a flight - as I recall, the plan is that the Spanish controls will be physically located on Spanish territory within the terminal building.

The same applies in reverse - a flight from San Sebastian landing in Gibraltar would offer two possibilities - either to exit to La Linea without frontier controls, or to go to Gibraltar and pass through Spanish exit controls and Gibraltar entry controls.

So - the long term aim of the Cordoba Agreement is for Gibraltar Airport to become an airport for that entire region. There's a fairly big catchment area that can be covered there, and it may also open up the Costa de la Luz for development too. The predicted (based on the Cordoba Agreement) increase in flights would necessitate some solution to the closure of the runway.

Unfortunately, the demand expected hasn't materialised. The Spanish commercial operators just don't seem interested in Gibraltar as an airport - Iberia cancelled their flight to Madrid quite quickly, and UK airlines haven't bothered to do much with it (although it's a perfectly viable alternative to Malaga).

http://osm.org/go/b6UeTgEO shows the projected route quite well. As you can see - the most sensible idea would be to build a new joint Gibraltar/Spanish border crossing next to the sea - north of the roundabout. The old one would remain for pedestrian traffic, the entire empty area to the east of the current Spanish border crossing could be used and everyone would be happy. It would also allow much more lanes to be opened - by my estimate, there could easily be an 6-8 lane facility there for exit from Gibraltar.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways