daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 1st, 2013, 10:54 PM   #8461
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1969 View Post

Not between the Greek mainland and Turkey. There are though sea connections from/to Lesvos, Hios, Kos and Rodos (Rhodes) and mainland Turkey with ferries operating too.
I went from Samos to Kuşadası and back in 1999.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:00 PM   #8462
TurboEngine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post
The only salvation for you guys is the activation of the Schengen Treaty in Bulgaria and Romania.
That's Greece's salvation, too. And that's why it won't happen.
TurboEngine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:04 PM   #8463
TurboEngine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 358

Quote:

Turkey - Greece natural border... River Evros.
It's called Maritsa
TurboEngine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:12 PM   #8464
ea1969
R21

Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I went from Samos to Kuşadası and back in 1999.
Yes I forgot Samos.

(PS. It is Evros/Meriç/Marica; it depends on the language).
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:38 AM   #8465
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboEngine View Post
It's called Maritsa

Whatever you say, dude.
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:39 AM   #8466
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboEngine View Post
That's Greece's salvation, too. And that's why it won't happen.

Eat your heart out for Romania and Bulgaria will join the Schengen Area in 2014. (At worst in 2015).
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:53 AM   #8467
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Eat your heart out for Romania and Bulgaria will join the Schengen Area in 2014. (At worst in 2015).
Sounds good. But as I looking on the map, Bulgaria and Romania still have not developed carriage roads in longitude direction. Therefore it will be still faster through Serbia and Macedonia via E75

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:57 AM   #8468
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post

Sounds good. But as I looking on the map, Bulgaria and Romania still have not developed carriage roads in longitude direction. Therefore it will be still faster through Serbia and Macedonia via E75
I can't go through those countries with a load in my van. So I still have to go through Hungary to stay in the EU. I'll be ok going back empty.

Same with Italy. With a load I always use either Brenner or Mont Blanc, but going back empty I'm ok through Switzerland which is shorter and cheaper...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:08 AM   #8469
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I can't go through those countries with a load in my van. So I still have to go through Hungary to stay in the EU. I'll be ok going back empty.

Same with Italy. With a load I always use either Brenner or Mont Blanc, but going back empty I'm ok through Switzerland which is shorter and cheaper...
Do you mean you will spent hours or days at border crossings? According to my experience 60 % of trucks in Serbia and Macedonia has romanian, bulgarian and greek licence plates. Apparently, the ridiculous situation may happen after BG and RO joint: Empty motorways in SRB and MK and full primary roads in BG and RO.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:35 AM   #8470
Road_UK
BANNED

Going through non-EU countries with a load on means having to declare your load at customs after getting the correct forms at customs agencies. Suppose I've got a load from England to Italy in transit in my van and I wish to go through Switzerland via Basel and Chiasso-Como. At Dover I first have to go to a freight clearance agency where I get paperwork to give to another freight clearance agency in St Louis in France on the border. There they give me new paperwork which I have to get stamped by French and Swiss customs which I do on foot. I carry on to Chiasso-Como, and I've got to go through the same ******* procedure again. Not worth it. It's already a pain in the ass enough as it is doing a delivery in Switzerland or Norway....
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:56 AM   #8471
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

How was that before Schengen? I mean, did truckers have to go through all this 5,6,7 times for a single journey?
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:00 PM   #8472
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Before Schengen they just had to undergo passport/id control. Before 1993 there was no single market and there were custom chceks among all EC members.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:04 PM   #8473
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
Before Schengen they just had to undergo passport/id control. Before 1993 there was no single market and there were custom chceks among all EC members.
It's got nothing to do with Schengen. You don't have to go through this shit when going to the UK, Romania or Bulgaria. And Switzerland and Norway are in Schengen, but not in a customs union.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:06 PM   #8474
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
How was that before Schengen? I mean, did truckers have to go through all this 5,6,7 times for a single journey?
Before the 1991 Maastricht treaty freight traffic were subjected to these procedures at every border crossing , yes. When there is no customs union, obviously all freight has to be declared and duty has to be paid.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:17 PM   #8475
eucitizen

Quote:
It's got nothing to do with Schengen. You don't have to go through this shit when going to the UK, Romania or Bulgaria. And Switzerland and Norway are in Schengen, but not in a customs union.
That's what I wrote, before Schengen there were only passport checks at the borders also for trucks.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:19 PM   #8476
eucitizen

Quote:
Before the 1991 Maastricht treaty freight traffic were subjected to these procedures at every border crossing , yes. When there is no customs union, obviously all freight has to be declared and duty has to be paid.
The Maastricht treaty came into force in 1993.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:36 PM   #8477
bogdymol
bogdymod

@Road_UK: Norway is in the Schengen area and there are no border controls. How are you declaring to the customs since there are no facilities at the border?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 01:03 PM   #8478
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Switzerland the same, but there are still manned border crossings. In a personal car, I was never stopped, but some were. You are not allowed to bring in more then some kg of meat, cheese etc. Products are much expensive then in Austria, Germany. So people living in the border area go shopping outside CH, but have limitations.

There are also small border crossings were I didn't see anyone. But I think those routes are not for freight traffic.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 01:27 PM   #8479
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:

It's not possible to have a sort of "transit permit" to pass through a non-EU country on the way between two EU countries with a truck or van full of goods?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 01:31 PM   #8480
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
@Road_UK: Norway is in the Schengen area and there are no border controls. How are you declaring to the customs since there are no facilities at the border?
There are freight clearing facilities on the borders. There's a big one on the E6 just off the motorway.
When I went to Mo-i-Rana I crossed the border right at the top, but there were no clearance facilities or customs. I just delivered it and cleared it on my way back on the E6... Remember that when travelling with goods, you always need to have documents with you. Customs can check you anywhere in Europe, even within Schengen. I never go out without my CMR (international consignment note) which I usually fill in myself.

I used to pick up loads in Kaiserslautern, Germany at the United States airbase. As I was loading on US soil, they gave me all the US army paperwork for me to clear at customs in Dover.

Tags
highways, motorways