daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 01:33 PM   #8481
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It's not possible to have a sort of "transit permit" to pass through a non-EU country on the way between two EU countries with a truck or van full of goods?
Yes. And guess where you get that permit. These are the T2 forms, and everything has to be written down on it, validated by clearance agencies and stamped by customs. On both sides of the border!
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:09 PM   #8482
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Yes. And guess where you get that permit. These are the T2 forms, and everything has to be written down on it, validated by clearance agencies and stamped by customs. On both sides of the border!
I guess it's quite time-consuming. I've heard that good vehicles often wait 2-3 days in queue at the border between EU and Russia-Ukraine-Belarus. Have you ever experienced it?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:16 PM   #8483
TurboEngine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post
Eat your heart out for Romania and Bulgaria will join the Schengen Area in 2014. (At worst in 2015).
Why would I eat my heart out? I'm from Bulgaria and want to join Schengen
TurboEngine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:52 PM   #8484
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I guess it's quite time-consuming. I've heard that good vehicles often wait 2-3 days in queue at the border between EU and Russia-Ukraine-Belarus. Have you ever experienced it?
No, I've never been that way. I find the queues with lorries on the Swiss borders long enough. Me sitting in my van between those biggons... And then still having to find a place to park on these big lorry parks is a nightmare. Before Schengen going into Poland etc I just mingled with the tourists...
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:04 PM   #8485
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
When I went to Mo-i-Rana I crossed the border right at the top, but there were no clearance facilities or customs.
You took the E12 to Mo i Rana? There is a customs facility, but it is located in Tärnaby, 74 km of the border. It's pretty easy to miss, especially since you don't expect one this far of the border:

https://maps.google.fi/maps?saddr=E1...68.61,,0,16.39

Road_UK liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:18 PM   #8486
Road_UK
BANNED

Yes, I've definitely missed that one. It probably would have been closed anyway as it was Sunday. I was going to stay the night on the border, but as there was nothing there I just kept going and stayed in a Best Western hotel in Mo, and cleared it on my way back on the E6...
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:18 PM   #8487
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Hungary, main road 84 after Sopron, Austrian border visible in the background.

Photo taken in Aug 2013. This time, both Hungarian and Austrian police were observing crossing traffic from their cars.

Moravian liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:58 PM   #8488
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

SWE-FIN border at Haparanda. Passing through traffic is less than 1000 vehicles a day at this border.

I comparison the SWE-DK border at the bridge has 19.500 vehicles och 72.000 persons passing through a day.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:54 AM   #8489
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post

SWE-FIN border at Haparanda. Passing through traffic is less than 1000 vehicles a day at this border.

I comparison the SWE-DK border at the bridge has 19.500 vehicles och 72.000 persons passing through a day.
It sounds like too little... I have been there this last Saturday eating at a Shopping Center on the finnish side that is right on the border and overlooks that border crossing of the main road. From the window of the restaurant I saw at least 100 vehicles went by in just in 20 mins.

Moreover the counting could be a bit tricky if it's done just on that road, as Tornio - Haparanda are kind of a divided city and there's a second road/street full of traffic (one that goes straight to an Ikea located almost at the border) just 300 mts away from the one on pic. And there's a also a third road/street to the north.

By the way: every border crossing on Finland -no matter how small- has cameras recording every car. There will be people happy about that, but since I can't be sure how the information gathered it's actually used by the goverment I find it a bit disturbing...
Old September 3rd, 2013, 01:30 AM   #8490
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Hungary, main road 84 after Sopron, Austrian border visible in the background.

Photo taken in Aug 2013. This time, both Hungarian and Austrian police were observing crossing traffic from their cars.

This is the place of the Pan-European picnic, when, in August 1989 the first breach on the iron curtain was made. For the first time since 1961, East German were allowed to flee west via CZ, H and A.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:23 AM   #8491
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post

You took the E12 to Mo i Rana? There is a customs facility, but it is located in Tärnaby, 74 km of the border. It's pretty easy to miss, especially since you don't expect one this far of the border:

https://maps.google.fi/maps?saddr=E1...68.61,,0,16.39
Question: does Norwegian customs also hold an office in there? I would have needed them for my entry stamp. Swedish customs wouldn't have been that important as I already got an outgoing UK stamp anyway...

Delivering in Oslo at Kühne and Nagel is a lot easier. Apart from the procedure in Dover declaring outgoing goods, in Oslo they do all the clearing for me.

One time I had this order on my van from a UK haulage company. I had about 6 addresses to go in Switzerland. One in Basel, one in Schaffhausen, a couple in Zürich and somethi for Lausanne. Got all the paperwork, cleared everything at Basel, and delivered everything ok until I got to Lausanne. There ii found out I had some boxes unaccounted for. No paperwork, not even an address, and therefore it entered Switzerland illegally. Obviously I wouldn't have been able to leave the country with those boxes. My boss told me to hang on a couple of hours and in the worst scenario just chuck them in the river. Eventually I dropped them off at a warehouse in Geneva, where they did all the clearing.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:26 AM   #8492
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

^ Quick look at NVDB maps says it has 4000-8000 aadt on the E4 Happaranda Tornio border.

Norwegian customs office for E12 is located in Mo I Rana.

When RO and BG enters Schengen it should be time to demolish that border fence no?
https://maps.google.com/?ll=44.08832...348.31,,0,2.76

Last edited by Ingenioren; September 3rd, 2013 at 10:34 AM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:20 AM   #8493
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
^ Quick look at NVDB maps says it has 4000-8000 aadt on the E4 Happaranda Tornio border.

Norwegian customs office for E12 is located in Mo I Rana.

When RO and BG enters Schengen it should be time to demolish that border fence no?
https://maps.google.com/?ll=44.08832...348.31,,0,2.76
I have been always wondering why is Bulgaria fenced by this barbed-wire? It is like relict from cold war times

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:27 AM   #8494
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

But you also have these:
http://goo.gl/maps/l6dcI
http://goo.gl/maps/3kJbw
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:40 AM   #8495
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
What does the last one suppose to be? Border crossing prepared for Schengen joint? The road seems to be in very good condition.

Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:54 AM   #8496
bogdymol
bogdymod

Yep. But I think they over-reacted with so many lanes on the romanian side. FFS... it's a DC road, which is the last in importance in Romania (DC = drum comunal, local road).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:10 PM   #8497
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Yep. But I think they over-reacted with so many lanes on the romanian side. FFS... it's a DC road, which is the last in importance in Romania (DC = drum comunal, local road).
The increased number of lanes imply the preparation for checking booths what is obviously in contradiction with Schengen agreement.

I do not see any else purpose to increase number of lanes in such place.

Old September 4th, 2013, 12:33 AM   #8498
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Question: does Norwegian customs also hold an office in there? I would have needed them for my entry stamp. Swedish customs wouldn't have been that important as I already got an outgoing UK stamp anyway...
According to Google maps they do: scroll a little onward from the place of the link above and you'll see the actual customs building.

https://maps.google.fi/maps?saddr=E1...,,2,-2.39&z=16

Zoom in and you'll see the Norwegian coat of arms, along with the Norwegian spelling "Toll". ("Tull" is Swedish.)

That's all I know. I've never transported anything here so I've never really been in any business with the customs of either state, just driven by.

Road_UK liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #8499
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboEngine View Post
Why would I eat my heart out? I'm from Bulgaria and want to join Schengen
You said it won't happen... Read your own posts...
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #8500
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post

You said it won't happen... Read your own posts...
What's with you and your all the time? You seem to think that you're the only intellect around here and all others have just crawled from underneath the bench...

Kaczorm, Penn's Woods, Iregua liked this post

Tags
highways, motorways