daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 12:19 AM   #8661
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1828

2) Malaysia-Singapore Second Link

On the upper right side corner is the Sultan Abu Bakar Complex (Malaysia Customs & Immigration checkpoint) and on the bottom left corner is the Tuas Checkpoint (Singapore Customs & Immigration checkpoint).

More pictures of this crossing could be found on Page 375 of this thread.

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2013, 12:51 AM   #8662
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Heavy traffic at Italy - Vatican border (looking into Via Sant'Anna, SCV from Via di Porta Angelica, I)
Pic taken Sep 2013.

Verso, Coccodrillo liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 05:39 AM   #8663
EU-Europa
Viva Europa!

Likes (Received): 34

^ Why would anyone be concerned about people travelling between the Vatican and Rome (it seems like they're checking paperwork in the photo)? It's not like the EU is worried about anyone suspicious coming in from the Vatican, and I doubt EU citizens would be a threat to the Vatican.
EU-Europa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:13 AM   #8664
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by EU-Europa View Post
^ Why would anyone be concerned about people travelling between the Vatican and Rome (it seems like they're checking paperwork in the photo)? It's not like the EU is worried about anyone suspicious coming in from the Vatican, and I doubt EU citizens would be a threat to the Vatican.
The Vatican City State did not join Schengen so that it could maintain its border controls.
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 09:36 AM   #8665
bogdymol
bogdymod

When I visited Vatican back in 2007 I wasn't checked for papers, but had to do a a security check similar to the ones performed at the airport (with metal detectors and bag scanning).

On google maps you can see the line of people waiting to be checked. I found on google a picture with the check:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 09:39 AM   #8666
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
The Vatican City State did not join Schengen so that it could maintain its border controls.
Am I supposed to declare the souvenirs as well?

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 10:10 AM   #8667
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
When I visited Vatican back in 2007 I wasn't checked for papers, but had to do a a security check similar to the ones performed at the airport (with metal detectors and bag scanning).

On google maps you can see the line of people waiting to be checked. I found on google a picture with the check:

I also visited Vatican in 2007. Security check is performed at the entrance of Saint Peter's Basilica, just in case you planned to vandalise interior of the church. I think it doesn't have anything with "Vatican border control".
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:02 AM   #8668
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:

St. Peter square belongs to the Vatican (the border line are the colonnades). So in your picture the queue is inside the Vatican, and not directing into Vatican. In Google Maps aerial photo, too, the queue is inside the Vatican. It is not border control but security check before you can visit the basilica.
HERE the white line between Piazza San Pietro and Piazza Pio XII is the border between Italy and the Vatican, and obviously there is not any check there.
THIS GATE is border crossing :-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:06 AM   #8669
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
St. Peter square belongs to the Vatican (the border line are the colonnades). So in your picture the queue is inside the Vatican, and not directing into Vatican. In Google Maps aerial photo, too, the queue is inside the Vatican. It is not border control but security check before you can visit the basilica.
This doesn't mean anything. You are not forced to make border control at the actual border. Besides, St. Peter square is Vatican territory but Italian police forces have jurisdiction on it.

But you're right, these are not border controls, just security check.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:16 AM   #8670
EU-Europa
Viva Europa!

Likes (Received): 34

That makes more sense. It would make the lives of anyone working in the Vatican a living hell if they had border control with Rome.
EU-Europa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:26 AM   #8671
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
This doesn't mean anything. You are not forced to make border control at the actual border.
Right, however border checks are usually not in the middle of the state ;-))
Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:28 AM   #8672
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Right, however border checks are usually not in the middle of the state ;-))
Oh but they are. How often didn't I get checked in the middle of France and Germany by customs...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:29 AM   #8673
bogdymol
bogdymod

As I said in my previous post, before entering the Vatican (St. Peter's Basilica) there was a control, but not for papers (you could be from any country in the world, even illegal immigrant into Europe), but for security purposes. I know this is not an actual border crossing check point, but Vatican is a special country and if you want to get inside it's main building you have to be checked.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:49 AM   #8674
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
As I said in my previous post, before entering the Vatican (St. Peter's Basilica) there was a control, but not for papers (you could be from any country in the world, even illegal immigrant into Europe), but for security purposes. I know this is not an actual border crossing check point, but Vatican is a special country and if you want to get inside it's main building you have to be checked.
I don't know if this is due to Vatican being a "special country". For some time after 9/11, access to the main church in Bologna was also controlled: some muslim terrorist group planned to destroy the (in)famous "Muhammad in hell" fresco inside the Basilica.

St. Peter is a sensitive target for terrorist, so it's basically that.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 12:00 PM   #8675
Attus

Quote:
I had such a check in Milan Cathedreal (Duomo) as well, although Milan is not a country at all ;-) I think this check is nothing to do with borders. And once again: the border is not at the basilica's entrance so that entering Vatican or entering the basilica is two different thing.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 12:04 PM   #8676
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
And once again: the border is not at the basilica's entrance so that entering Vatican or entering the basilica is two different thing.
On this matter, once again: this doesn't mean anything. St. Peter square is pedestrian while the roads around it (in Italian territory) are not. They simply cannot put border checks at the very border, otherwise long queues of people would block traffic all around the place.
If they have to establish border controls between Italy and Vatican, they'd probably place them at the entrance of the basilica.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 12:41 PM   #8677
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by EU-Europa View Post
I asked one of these guards if I may enter the Vatican there on foot as a tourist. They said no. So the Vatican "Hinterland" cannot be entered by just anyone; only St. Peter's Square and the Basicila (after being security-checked) can. These do not provide access to the "Hinterland".
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 12:45 PM   #8678
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Rest of Vatican is sort of "private property", there's nothing particular about Vatican itself. It's like you wanted to enter my home with a visa for Italy
Old October 3rd, 2013, 01:05 PM   #8679
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Last time I entered the Vatican I didn't even get security checks. I just walked in...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 01:13 PM   #8680
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
I asked one of these guards if I may enter the Vatican there on foot as a tourist. They said no. So the Vatican "Hinterland" cannot be entered by just anyone; only St. Peter's Square and the Basicila (after being security-checked) can. These do not provide access to the "Hinterland".
+ Vatican Museums. They're in Vatican territory as well and are open to visitors (I mean, for visitors that buy a ticket :-))

Tags
highways, motorways