daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #8701
piotr71

Also in Poland.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Croatia

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2013, 11:37 PM   #8702
yohaniv

Likes (Received): 101

Last one does not count. Why Croats are so widespread in neighborhood countries is directly connected to Ottoman expansion in 1300 - 1700 over that region. People were just more or less violently shooed away. That is why here in Slovenia at least quarter of surnames (coincidently, that was the time surnames were introduced here) are somehow connected to that long lasting pressure: Horvat (no need to explain), Bizjak (fled one), Turk (generally someone from Turkish occupation zone), Novak (newman). All of local top 10.
yohaniv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #8703
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1749

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohaniv View Post
Last one does not count. Why Croats are so widespread in neighborhood countries is directly connected to Ottoman expansion in 1300 - 1700 over that region. People were just more or less violently shooed away. That is why here in Slovenia at least quarter of surnames (coincidently, that was the time surnames were introduced here) are somehow connected to that long lasting pressure: Horvat (no need to explain), Bizjak (fled one), Turk (generally someone from Turkish occupation zone), Novak (newman). All of local top 10.
Horvath is actually most frequent surname in Slovakia. Also popular are Nemeth, Toth, Törok - all are hungarian names of nationalities (Croat, German, Slovak, Turk).

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #8704
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by EU-Europa View Post
The Vatican has a public pharmacy and post office? Why?
The Vatican Post Office seems to be far more organised than the Italian one too - I have a friend in Rome who posts anything important via the Vatican rather than via the Italian system...

Alex_ZR liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #8705
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87680

USA-Mexico Borderline (Juárez City-El Paso) Pic by Luis Sigala:

By sigalapachon at 2012-02-15

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!

Zagor666 liked this post
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #8706
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Are heighs measured in feet in Mexico?

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #8707
Interstate275Fla

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Are heighs measured in feet in Mexico?
No, heights in Mexico as well as Canada are in meters as our American neighbors to the north and south are metric. I was in Tijuana over Labor Day weekend 2012 and I did notice that all heights are measured in meters.

While related to the international border crossings topic, some border states have signage for distances and speed limits in kilometers right after you clear U.S. Customs. After that it's miles only from there.

I remember when I visited Laredo/Nuevo Laredo a long time ago that there used to be a speed limit sign on northbound Interstate 35 that had a speed limit in kilometers mounted directly below the regular speed limit sign - a number and the legend "km/h" in a red circle with the Spanish word maxima below. I am not sure if this sign still stands today or not.

All photos posted by Interstate275Fla are that of the author unless stated otherwise.
Interstate275Fla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #8708
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate275Fla View Post
No, heights in Mexico as well as Canada are in meters as our American neighbors to the north and south are metric. I was in Tijuana over Labor Day weekend 2012 and I did notice that all heights are measured in meters.

While related to the international border crossings topic, some border states have signage for distances and speed limits in kilometers right after you clear U.S. Customs. After that it's miles only from there.

I remember when I visited Laredo/Nuevo Laredo a long time ago that there used to be a speed limit sign on northbound Interstate 35 that had a speed limit in kilometers mounted directly below the regular speed limit sign - a number and the legend "km/h" in a red circle with the Spanish word maxima below. I am not sure if this sign still stands today or not.
It looks like everyone went metric, except for you guys and the UK....
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #8709
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate275Fla View Post

I said it because there is a sign in feet.
Is it in USA or in Mexico?

Quote:

Be sure that providing you post a picture here about it, someone will use as avatar!!!!!

Old October 8th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #8710
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post
Either my teachers in University. They gave distances, capacities, etc... in British metrics, not in standard ones and had to change them.

It was only to see if we were able to make correct "translations".
You could have a correct exam but a mistake there was terribly!!!!

Old October 8th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #8711
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Either my teachers in University. They gave distances, capacities, etc... in British metrics, not in standard ones and had to change them.

It was only to see if we were able to make correct "translations".
You could have a correct exam but a mistake there was terribly!!!!
I have an engineering background, and I faced something similar during my university years. The logic was rather clear: An engineer must be able to work in international cases, and recognize non-SI measures, too. In addition, an engineer must be able to assess whether the result of calculations is meaningful or not. The scale at the exams was strict: If the logic of the answer was totally correct, but there was a small numeric error having a major influence to the result, the answer delivered zero points. An engineer must be able to distinguish if an axle should be one centimeter in diameter or 10 centimeters, for example.

Last edited by MattiG; October 8th, 2013 at 03:28 PM.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #8712
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post
Up to a point, we have gone metric. Distance is still imperial but lots of other things are metric - weights being the obvious one. Most non distance road signs are metric too. Then there's money and liquid measures. Some liquid measures are still imperial in pubs but the remainder are metric. I work in the print industry and everything is metric.

Skyline_ liked this post
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #8713
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
I left school in 1979 and one of our lessons then was technical drawing. All the reference books were in imperial but we had to translate them and use metric when doing our drawings etc.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #8714
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Be sure that providing you post a picture here about it, someone will use as avatar!!!!!

Found this on google image search:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #8715
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

but I wanted to say with the symbol of Route 35 on the top

Old October 8th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #8716
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
I have an engineering background, and I faced something similar during my university years. The logic was rather clear: An engineer must be able to work in international cases, and recognize non-SI measures, too. In addition, an engineer must be able to assess whether the result of calculations is meaningful or not. The scale at the exams was strict: If the logic of the answer was totally correct, but there was a small numeric error having a major influence to the result, the answer delivered zero points. An engineer must be able to distinguish if an axle should be one centimeter in diameter or 10 centimeters, for example.
So do I and, apart of those changes of measures and that stuff... all measures (related to a plan, piece, etc) had to be given in milimetres, never centimetres, for instance

Old October 8th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #8717
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
So do I and, apart of those changes of measures and that stuff... all measures (related to a plan, piece, etc) had to be given in milimetres, never centimetres, for instance
According to best practices related to drawings, yes, and any other document where the unit is not explicitely expressed.

There is a HUGE wooden church in a Kerimäki, Finland dating back to year 1848. Nothing in that tiny village justifies building a biggest wooden church in the world. It has been speculated that the builders misthought the measures being inches, not centimeters. (Other theories exist, too.)

Godius liked this post

Last edited by MattiG; October 8th, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #8718
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Found this on google image search:

That's a speed limit sign from the late 1970's or early 1980's. There were many signs like that during that era while the government attempted to make the United States go metric but they were eventually abandoned. The "translation" was inaccurate, though, because of rounding off the numbers: 60 mph is 64.36 km/h but it was rounded down to 60 km/h in the sign while 60 km/h is 37 mph.

Eventually, the government gave up and all speed limit signs are in mph while distance signs are in miles and fractions of miles (for those not used to the American system, 1/4 mile = 400 meters, 1/2 mile = 800 meters, 3/4 mile = 1,200 meters).
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #8719
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Bridge between Slovenia and Austria across river Mur(a) at Trate/Mureck:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/87449180

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/87449182

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/35015213

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/35015232

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/35015251

Corvinus, Zagor666, hofburg liked this post