daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #8721
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Why is the name of Austria written in Slovenian?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #8722
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Probably because it is still in Slovenia
Old October 10th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #8723
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate275Fla View Post
No, heights in Mexico as well as Canada are in meters as our American neighbors to the north and south are metric. I was in Tijuana over Labor Day weekend 2012 and I did notice that all heights are measured in meters.

While related to the international border crossings topic, some border states have signage for distances and speed limits in kilometers right after you clear U.S. Customs. After that it's miles only from there.

I remember when I visited Laredo/Nuevo Laredo a long time ago that there used to be a speed limit sign on northbound Interstate 35 that had a speed limit in kilometers mounted directly below the regular speed limit sign - a number and the legend "km/h" in a red circle with the Spanish word maxima below. I am not sure if this sign still stands today or not.
There are dual-system signs ("Boston - x miles/y km"; "next exit 2 miles/3.2 km") all along I-95 in Maine. (And - to get a bit further off topic - if you drive I-87/A-15 from the New York area to Montreal, you'll see more French on official signs in the northernmost 40 miles or so of New York state than you will English in Quebec.)

And there's plenty of UNofficial use of traditional measures in Canada. Like the soft-drink machine in my Montreal hotel informing me in French that the drinks were cold - "39F."

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #8724
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Why is the name of Austria written in Slovenian?
Because it's in Slovenia?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #8725
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Because it's in Slovenia?
Ok, so there is another next sign with "Österreich"? I just want to say, that only two basic forms of country names are important: the english /or rather international/ one and the original one in the domestic language.

I would understand if there was written Austria or Österreich. But Slovenian name is completely useless even if those signs usually bear domestic name.

Some countries has strange names in different languages. I bet nobody would understand what "Rakúsko" at Slovak, "Allemagne" at French or "Mali i Zi" at Albanian borders are.

Old October 10th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #8726
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I thought those EU border signs usually said something like "Niederlande 500m" - i.e., in the language of the country you're still in at that point - then "Nederland" (in the language of the country you're entering) at the border?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 11th, 2013, 01:29 AM   #8727
Verso
Islander

Quote:
But Slovenian name is completely useless
Not to me and 2.5 million other people who understand it. There's also just "Slowenien" on the other side of the border. Besides, it's not really an important sign; this looked more problematic.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old October 11th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #8728
volodaaaa

Quote:
Not to me and 2.5 million other people who understand it. There's also just "Slowenien" on the other side of the border. Besides, it's not really an important sign; this looked more problematic.
Yeah, Madžarska might be problematic, but not that as Voulgaria in Greece is

Old October 11th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #8729
Verso
Islander

Slovenia-Austria:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/93531578

cinxxx, Godius liked this post
Old October 11th, 2013, 02:04 AM   #8730
Verso
Islander

This one is nice. Southernmost point of (Austrian) Styria (border with Slovenia):

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/57292030

hofburg, cinxxx, Moravian, italystf liked this post
Old October 11th, 2013, 02:13 AM   #8731
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Ok, so there is another next sign with "Österreich"? I just want to say, that only two basic forms of country names are important: the english /or rather international/ one and the original one in the domestic language.

I would understand if there was written Austria or Österreich. But Slovenian name is completely useless even if those signs usually bear domestic name.

Some countries has strange names in different languages. I bet nobody would understand what "Rakúsko" at Slovak, "Allemagne" at French or "Mali i Zi" at Albanian borders are.
Surely "Avstrija"'s recognizable, particularly to someone who knows what a blue sign with a bunch of stars surrounding a proper name* means and who's aware that the Austrian border is nearby....

*We've been discussing sign recognition on another thread, after all....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Verso liked this post
Old October 11th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #8732
Wiener.Blut
BANNED

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
I am sure that more than 2,5 M people understand Avstrija on a blue sign with stars 50m from Austria.

Wiener.Blut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #8733
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Looking to football matches, today there is a female match Belgium-Netherlands, this afternoon

Anyone is in a pub of Baarle to watch in on TV?

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #8734
piotr71

Quote:
English name isn't important outside of English speaking world. In Poland, I definitely prefer, actually demand, Polish names for my country. Therefore, I want to see "Polska" on one side of a certain border and "Polsko" on the other side. I also do not mind to call and write "Słowacja" and "Slovensko" relatively. I do not care whether foreigners can or can not understand the name of my country. However, all borders' crossers usually know where they are, so there is no need to translate any name in English.

Quote:
I would understand if there was written Austria or Österreich. But Slovenian name is completely useless even if those signs usually bear domestic name.(..)
Most of the people in Europe would understand Slovenian name for Austria and with no doubts all who cross that border. I'd also bet you had no problems to get it.

Last edited by piotr71; October 11th, 2013 at 07:13 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #8735
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

The whole world is the English speaking world. Especially with the newer generation the English language creates a bridge between people who's native languages are different from each other.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #8736
piotr71

I am aware of enriching mother tongues by influence of other languages, it has been happening since the birth of human being and a first word spoken, so, I do not mind if this process continues to a certain extend. However, there isn't need to use English where it's not necessary, therefore I see completely useless translating countries' names on blue-borders' signs into English. Particularly in such cases as Czech-Slovak former border crossings.

piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #8737
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
The whole world is the English speaking world. Especially with the newer generation the English language creates a bridge between people who's native languages are different from each other.
A century ago that was French, a century from now it might be Spanish. And meantime, we native speakers get people asking us to simplify our vocabulary so that non-natives can understand us (I've seen that in the fricking New York Times) or Briticizing our usage so that people who've learned "good" English can uderstand us (I've seen that on this forum.)

EDIT:
The last couple of days, there's been a conference in Brussels, sponsored by Le Soir, De Standaard and Le Nouvel observateur, on "making Europe work." I've seen Le Soir's coverage. They solicited ideas from people; someone from Spain wrote in saying English should be made the first language in schools and media throughout Europe; local languages should be reduced to spoken languages. Does no one care about their own culture? Spaniards no longer reading Cervantes?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

piotr71 liked this post
Old October 12th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #8738
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
I am aware of enriching mother tongues by influence of other languages, it has been happening since the birth of human being and a first word spoken, so, I do not mind if this process continues to a certain extend. However, there isn't need to use English where it's not necessary, therefore I see completely useless translating countries' names on blue-borders' signs into English. Particularly in such cases as Czech-Slovak former border crossings.
Yes. "influence of other languages" - plural. Like when every educated person in the Netherlands spoke English, French and German. (Or at least seemed to.) Surely we've not yet reached the point where learning German is a waste of time for someone who lives in Strasbourg or Nijmegen.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 12th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #8739
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I thought those EU border signs usually said something like "Niederlande 500m" - i.e., in the language of the country you're still in at that point - then "Nederland" (in the language of the country you're entering) at the border?
It gets interesting when there are 2 official languages in the area where the sign can be found, like here in Belgium: https://maps.google.nl/maps?q=Kelmis...2,91.19,,1,4.2

Or 3 languages, like here at the NO-FI-border:

I have even seen a sign in 4 languages (I thought it was at the RU-FI-border, but I cannot find the picture now).
Old October 12th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #8740
Gorky

Likes (Received): 2267

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXxImE View Post
The border of Spain is the river...not land!!
Gorky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways