daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #9261
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I just wonder, what would happen if I put on diving glasses and swam around the wall near Tijuana or if I accidentally fell asleep at my air mattress and water flow took me behind the border.
The Border Patrol's trained sharks would get you.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

volodaaaa, Palance liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2014, 01:01 AM   #9262
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I just wonder, what would happen if I put on diving glasses and swam around the wall near Tijuana or if I accidentally fell asleep at my air mattress and water flow took me behind the border.
American would catch you and throw you into Mexico, then you would get abducted by drug gang

volodaaaa liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 02:03 PM   #9263
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
The Border Patrol's trained sharks would get you.
And here's one of them at work.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 02:09 PM   #9264
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Of course not, but for the last two days on this thread it's been about "paranoia about terrorism" and the Berlin Wall.... People too young to remember the Cold War seem to think the whole world should be just one big Schengen zone, and that any border controls at all (something that used to be totally normal even between Menton and Ventimiglia, for example) are signs of backwardness. I get the sentiment, but it's not realistic.
It wasn't realistic in Europe 30 years ago... but you see... I don't think the cold war is a legit excuse... in fact the World Wars were in Europe.

I don't say that everybody should trust everybody, but I think that, at least, USA and Canada should trust each other and implement a Schengen-like agreement.

Furthermore, each time I cross to USA I feel intimidated by the agents (wich turned out to be friendly after they decided that I could get in)... I think there is no need for that... and luckily I always come from a friend country with a friend country passport... I cannot guess how rude may them get when you are coming from a not that friendly country!

On the other hand, Canadiands seem much more relaxed, friendly from the begining and not treating you like if you were a suspect.

The other guarded border that I've crossed is Spain from/to Gibraltar (UK) and a visual external inspection was enough for both countries.
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #9265
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I went to Quebec for about a week three months or so ago. The border agents in both directions - Canadian as well as U.S. - were more unfriendly than they've been in the past. (And I had to pop open the trunk of my car, while remaining IN the car, also in both directions, which I've never had to do before. Maybe there was something in particular going on that week, or maybe standard practice has tightened since my last trip in 2006...)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 15th, 2014, 04:23 PM   #9266
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriK View Post
It wasn't realistic in Europe 30 years ago... but you see... I don't think the cold war is a legit excuse... in fact the World Wars were in Europe.

I don't say that everybody should trust everybody, but I think that, at least, USA and Canada should trust each other and implement a Schengen-like agreement.

Furthermore, each time I cross to USA I feel intimidated by the agents (wich turned out to be friendly after they decided that I could get in)... I think there is no need for that... and luckily I always come from a friend country with a friend country passport... I cannot guess how rude may them get when you are coming from a not that friendly country!

On the other hand, Canadiands seem much more relaxed, friendly from the begining and not treating you like if you were a suspect.

The other guarded border that I've crossed is Spain from/to Gibraltar (UK) and a visual external inspection was enough for both countries.
I meant the Cold War period (and, for that matter, pretty much all of history before that) rather than the Cold War as such. My first trips to Europe were in the 80s, when even going from one "friendly" country to another meant changing currency and possibly showing passports - I even passed through customs in the Geneva train station getting off a train from Paris.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that Europeans enjoy the freedom of movement they do today; I envy them and I hope it lasts. But you don't need to be that old to realize this is not the way things have always been, and expecting the rest of the world to be like Europe is...um...unrealistic.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:11 PM   #9267
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

I agree with you, I also hope it lasts. But I really think that, not being possible to implement something similar in the whole world... there are specific borders or groups of countries that with a little bit of iniciative could mimic Schengen. USA-Canada is a clear example.
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #9268
Viriatuus

Likes (Received): 1040

Brazil/Uruguay is a very relaxed border, for instance.
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #9269
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Was the Benelux the first "relaxed border" in the world?

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #9270
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Of course not, but for the last two days on this thread it's been about "paranoia about terrorism" and the Berlin Wall.... People too young to remember the Cold War seem to think the whole world should be just one big Schengen zone, and that any border controls at all (something that used to be totally normal even between Menton and Ventimiglia, for example) are signs of backwardness. I get the sentiment, but it's not realistic.
The thing is that the sheer success of the Schengen zone shows that there's no real reason for Canada and the USA not to implement something similar. The lack of even local border passes for people living in places like Stanstead/Derby Line shows how ridiculous the situation is.

I can understand the US wanting to keep control of their external border, but surely extending the NEXUS programme to allow known and verified locals the ability to freely cross at certain points wouldn't be too difficult? A simple solution that would benefit everyone would be allowing locals the right to roam freely within the two towns (subject to approval, of course) - but making it clear that if you want to go further, you need to go through the ordinary border control.

Having said that, I'm not sure that most Americans/Canadians would like the other aspect of Schengen law - the ability for border controls to be conducted at any time anywhere in the country.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:13 PM   #9271
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Maybe Italy-San Marino
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #9272
timeandspace

Quote:

in fact free and open migration is an imperative if the planet is to work efficiently and for people to catch up with the movement of goods and funds. the only threat is terrorism and security but even that one is a very limited one geographically.

it is utterly expensive, unfair and unproductive to militarize and keep all the borders the way they are. in fact lifting all restrictions on migration wouldn't even create a huge chaos, things would settle rather quickly, people go where they can work as they do now, and it's not like people could immigrate over huge distances all of a sudden.
timeandspace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 09:28 PM   #9273
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Nordic union ofcourse
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #9274
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Maybe Italy-San Marino
OK I agree but... what about France-Monaco?

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:08 PM   #9275
bogdymol
bogdymod

Italy - Vatican?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #9276
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Italy - Vatican?
Italy-Vatican has been relaxed only since the 20s. Before that it was all but relaxed.
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #9277
zsmg

Likes (Received): 1202

The first relaxed borders was France in 1861 which abolished the need for passports or visas, rest of Europe followed soon. Sadly WW1 changed that dramatically.
zsmg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #9278
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Please elaborate. :-)

EDIT: That's for Spinoza.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:18 PM   #9279
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsmg View Post
The first relaxed borders was France in 1861 which abolished the need for passports or visas, rest of Europe followed soon. Sadly WW1 changed that dramatically.
Funny you mention WWI.

I've been reading this lately: http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=fnVy4v5pZPMC

(Which may explain the perhaps-somewhat-pessimistic view of international relations I may have been displaying on this thread....)

But borders were actually more open earlier? Didn't know that.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #9280
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Please elaborate. :-)

EDIT: That's for Spinoza.
Vatican City is the direct descendant of Church States, which ruled most of central Italy for the better part of the millennium. After Garibaldi and his Thousand men went for their unification tour, almost all central Italy was invaded and annexed to the Piedmontese state (1861), and ten years later also Latium and Rome were invaded and annexed. The Pope declared himself prisoner of the Italian State, forbade all Catholics to participate to the political life of the newly created Italy and excommunicate all who did. This situation (The Roman Question) went on until 1929, when Mussolini and the Pope signed the Lateran Treaty which formally ended the Question, giving the Pope a State to rule (Vatican City) and a series of privileges to the Catholic Church inside the Italian State.

Tags
highways, motorways