daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2014, 04:05 PM   #9381
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 13997

In the last few years before Hungary joined Schengen the HU/AU border crossing was similar to what cinxxx has described. The Austrian border guards just looked at our IDs for a second or in some cases even before before wanted to show it to them they just said Meh and let us pass.

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #9382
and802

Likes (Received): 55

my country joined Schengen a couple years ago, sorry I do not see any difference before and after that fact.

if the law forces me to show a passort ath the border - ok, I do it. really I do not care/do not mind/do not feel humiliated

as I said before once my country becomes reach everybody will be willing to cooperate/do business with me. whether we have borders or not this does not change the facts: you will not find any collegues as long as you are poor.

so first each east europe nation needs to improve economy in own country then immediately rich west coutnries will be asking to come. this proces takes some decades and some people are not patient. so lets focus on our internal matters and then borders disappear.

Verso liked this post
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #9383
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16174

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
In the last few years before Hungary joined Schengen the HU/AU border crossing was similar to what cinxxx has described. The Austrian border guards just looked at our IDs for a second or in some cases even before before wanted to show it to them they just said Meh and let us pass.
This is beginning to slowly take place at HU-SRB border as well. I don't know how imminent or not imminent the EU accession of Serbia is and if that is related to more lax control but they are definitely not dour like before. It might have something to do with that switch of border control to regular police. Customs on the other hand don't wave anyone through, even if they waived you through passport control, even if you are in the EU lane, you still have to open your trunk for inspection. But they are quick.

Also if you browse some internet forums out there, you will see that overstaying your maximum stay of 90 days in the EU is not a problem at all, if you are coming back via Hungary Just like the lack of visa wasn't really a problem for those bold enough to ask how to solve that little issue lol

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #9384
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
This is beginning to slowly take place at HU-SRB border as well. I don't know how imminent or not imminent the EU accession of Serbia is and if that is related to more lax control but they are definitely not dour like before. It might have something to do with that switch of border control to regular police. Customs on the other hand don't wave anyone through, even if they waived you through passport control, even if you are in the EU lane, you still have to open your trunk for inspection. But they are quick.

Also if you browse some internet forums out there, you will see that overstaying your maximum stay of 90 days in the EU is not a problem at all, if you are coming back via Hungary Just like the lack of visa wasn't really a problem for those bold enough to ask how to solve that little issue lol
Need I remind you that the Hungarian border control is so efficient that not even bears can cross the border without showing their ID or passport

Demigod of DLM
Old January 19th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #9385
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:

I have noticed that situation on SRB/H borders get worse after Hungarian accession to Schengen. But it might be influenced by summer holiday season I always drive during.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #9386
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
Need I remind you that the Hungarian border control is so efficient that not even bears can cross the border without showing their ID or passport
Serbian animal rights groups were scandalized that Hungarian police called hunters after the bear and issued an appeal not to shoot this rare species

Old January 19th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #9387
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Quote:
Serbian animal rights groups were scandalized that Hungarian police called hunters after the bear and issued an appeal not to shoot this rare species
Yes there were both hunters and border guards sitting in the car which approached the bear, but they were only there as a last resort.

Demigod of DLM
Old January 19th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #9388
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Isn't it against EU laws? They should at least check ID and license plate, to make sure that persons and vehicles don't belong to the "police blacklist". The outer Schengen border should be controlled, especially if RO and BG cannot patrol well their borders with UA, MD and TR.
As explained before by other fellow forumers, RO and BG have already fulfilled all technical requirements, meaning the outer EU borders are secured as good as possible. All EU governments and EU Commission have acknowledged that fact. I was witness myself to border controls at our eastern and northern borders with Moldova and Ukraine, and they are very drastic. Although for Romania is not a pleasure to do it, because most part of the people who cross those borders coming from Moldova or Ukraine are of Romanian origin, sometimes even Romanian citizens.
Regarding RO/HU border, yes, Romanian and Hungarian officers are not checking very carefully our Romanian or Hungarian IDs. Still, I'm sure they have CCTV cameras with plate detection system at least at the main borders (Nădlac-Nagylak and Borș-Ártánd). Moreover, I'm sure they will suddenly change their attitude if you're coming from Africa, central Asia, or the former Soviet Union.
But enough with this discussion!
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #9389
Laurentzius
Self-styled Vampirologist

Likes (Received): 3999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Yup, it's all complete nonsense. The Hungarians in particular obviously couldn't care less, and it seems that they don't even bother to query the Schengen database for the vast majority of travellers. Speaking as someone who strongly believes in Schengen - the situation at the minute is a farce. If we don't trust Romania, why aren't we checking everyone properly at the border, like the HU/SRB border?
Maybe because Romanians are EU citizens and thus have certain rights? You cannot compare a Schengen border that is still intra-EU with one that is both a Schengen border and an external border of the EU. The latter are properly guarded, you needn't worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
The fear I talk about is mostly in the heads of some Western politicians who have never been to the HU/RO border to see how it works in practice anyway. I suspect that it's all really to do with the Roma population - as it stands, if things deteriorate badly in Western Europe with them, they can be deported back to Romania and border controls used to keep them out of Schengen on some vague legal grounds.
You might be right about the inanity of the WE politicians, but I rather believe they try to exploit the ignorance of all things Schengen of a large part of their electorate. Lots of people, and you don't have to look further than this very thread, believe that keeping Ro&BG outside of Schengen will also keep out Romanian and Bulgarian workers, criminals, and my personal favorite, 'benefit tourists'. It's funny how an imaginary line on a map makes some people feel secure.

As for the Roma population, you can't keep them out of Schengen on some 'vague legal grounds' more than you can keep out, for example, EU citizens of African ancestry. If let's say France deported a Roma properly as in with a court order, the Hungarian border police would still let him cross the Ro&Hu border because the deportation order only applies to French territory and not all Schengen member states. That's why most Roma 'deported' by France back to Romania and Bulgaria are back within days. They keep doing this useless ping-pong only because it makes some French politicians like Manuel Carlos Valls look tough on crime and immigration in the eyes of ignorant voters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I don't understand. Is this a problem to get to Greece and then take a boat, ship and plane and freely get to the rest parts of Schengen? Having Romania and Bulgaria in Schengen is not a problem to me.
Of course it is a problem. To board a plane you need to go through an identity check aka you need an ID card if you're an EU citizen or a passport with a visa if you aren't. Why do you think there still are so many illegal immigrants in Greece, if it was so easy to go to Western Europe?

Quote:
According to the Schengen acquis, which has been integrated into the framework of the European Union with the entry into force of the Treaty of Amsterdam, internal borders between Member States applying the Schengen acquis may be crossed without any checks on persons being carried out.

Authorities of the Member States are thus not allowed to carry out checks solely for the reason that the person is crossing the internal border.

This does not affect the right of airline companies to carry out identity checks within a commercial framework, i.e. when the passenger checks in, with a view to ensuring that he/she is the person indicated on the ticket or that he/she is entitled to certain discounts.

In addition, carriers are allowed to undertake checks for security reasons, for instance in order to ensure that the person boarding the plane corresponds to the person indicated on the ticket or where there are concerns that a person, whose conduct might disturb or jeopardise the safety of other passengers, boards an airplane. Such checks also apply to domestic flights.

These checks can be conducted through the verification of a passport or an identity card. Some carriers are organising pilot projects — according to our knowledge on a voluntary basis — with new technologies allowing the identification of a person.
source

Quote:
Q: Do I need an ID to board and travel by ferry in Greece?

A: No passport nor ID is required in order to travel within Greece by ferry. You will need one using international lines traveling to/from Italy and Turkey.
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirov88 View Post
The main problem with Romania and Bulgaria joining the Schengen treaty is the influx of new criminals. We already have huge problems with Polish and Romanian criminals. Also, because of EU law, we have to pay social security to foreigners, that have worked here, but already returned to their country of origin. This makes it highly unpopular for new cases.
I would suggest you to learn some basic facts about the Schengen Area. You could start by checking out this Wiki page, Schengen Area. You'll see that it has nothing to do with stopping criminals or 'benefit tourists'. The only way to stop an EU citizen to enter an EU member state is to have a deportation order on his name, deportation order that is exclusively valid for the territory of the said member state.

Quote:
Union citizens or members of their family may be expelled from the host Member State on grounds of public policy, public security or public health. Under no circumstances may an expulsion decision be taken on economic grounds. Measures affecting freedom of movement and residence must comply with the proportionality principle and be based exclusively on the personal conduct of the individual concerned. Such conduct must represent a sufficiently serious and present threat which affects the fundamental interests of the state.

Previous criminal convictions do not automatically justify expulsion.
source

Quote:
Isn't it against EU laws? They should at least check ID and license plate, to make sure that persons and vehicles don't belong to the "police blacklist". The outer Schengen border should be controlled, especially if RO and BG cannot patrol well their borders with UA, MD and TR.
There's no Schengen "police blacklist", or at least you cannot forbid an EU citizen to enter the Schengen Area even if he is on such a list. There is indeed the SIS database, but unless you're requested by a judicial authority the border police cannot stop you from crossing the border.

Quote:
I was not saying: RO and BG: problematic countries and HR: normal country
It's more related to the geographical location: RO and BG are on the edge of the Europe, thus they are the gateway for many illegal immigrants from Asia, Middle East and former Soviet states. So they should join Schengen only if they show enough authority to control their borders.
I'm sure you'll excuse me if I trust the European Commission and Parliament more then your words.

Quote:
Parliament on Wednesday gave its green light for Bulgaria and Romania to join the Schengen border check-free area. MEPs say they have met the entry conditions, based on progress reports, but add that Parliament should be kept informed of additional measures taken in the Bulgaria-Turkey-Greece area to cope with a possible surge in migration pressure. Parliament’s opinion will now be sent to EU homes affairs ministers meeting on Thursday in Luxembourg.
source

I don't deny that RO and especially BG are a gateway for illegal immigrants, but I'm pretty sure more immigrants get into the Schengen Area through Italy than the 2 countries. Allowing Romania and Bulgaria into Schengen won't change much for would-be immigrants, but it'll give some credit to EU's claim of being an union of "equals around a table".

P.S. Sorry for the awfully long comment.

cinxxx liked this post
Laurentzius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #9390
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Can we go back to border crossings?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #9391
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Jaša Tomić-Foeni crossing between Romania and Serbia was opened for all traffic during Holidays and it should become an international crossing after Romania approves the idea. Serbia approved the idea in 2009.http://www.blic.rs/Vesti/Drustvo/429...-do-15-januara Right now there are two RO-SRB crossings in Banat near Srpska Crnja and Vatin.

It seems Serbia is way more interested in opening this crossing

than Romania

Last edited by Singidunum; January 19th, 2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old January 19th, 2014, 10:38 PM   #9392
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
I'm sure they will suddenly
I remembered that back in 2010 I crossed the HU-RO border (into Romania, so out of Schengen) with a passenger in my car that was a United States citizen. They scanned his passport into the computer and asked 2-3 general questions, but we were free to go in 1 minute.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 10:56 PM   #9393
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

^ Just 2-3 questions? They should be more carefully in the future with those Americans, I don't want them to come, settle, steal our jobs and abuse our health care system.

@Singidunum: sad to see those ruins and the unpaved road on Romanian side.

I'm sure it has been posted before, here is another example, this time with the unpaved road in Serbia. I don't understand why our governments and local authorities don't try to do more in order to connect our two countries. Not to mention, on whole section where Danube is the natural border we have only one open connection, although at least Iron Gates-2 border crossing could be fully operational.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #9394
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Iron Gates 2 is closed? Why?
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 11:41 PM   #9395
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I like the Romanian border crossing without even a dirt road, just a field that over time some cars have worn away part of the grass. It is certainly charming
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #9396
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
Iron Gates 2 is closed? Why?
I thought it was reopened last year?
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #9397
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4004

Quote:
Right now there are two RO-SRB crossings in Banat near Srpska Crnja and Vatin.
There is a third one: Kaluđerovo(SRB)-Naidăş(RO)

Singidunum liked this post
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 12:21 AM   #9398
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Quote:
@Singidunum: sad to see those ruins and the unpaved road on Romanian side.
It's unclear, if this was used as a regular crossing before, why didn't they pave it? Although the road is paved up to the crossing http://goo.gl/maps/QjSGC Though it may have been paved relatively recently, there is a plate with EU flag on the other side, can't see the text.

Quote:
I'm sure it has been posted before, here is another example, this time with the unpaved road in Serbia. I don't understand why our governments and local authorities don't try to do more in order to connect our two countries. Not to mention, on whole section where Danube is the natural border we have only one open connection, although at least Iron Gates-2 border crossing could be fully operational.
Yes although that's never used as a crossing except on some event once a year, and even then it's not really a crossing but a free zone. There are many optional crossings but most of them are either closed or used just for the local traffic http://www.mup.gov.rs/cms/slike.nsf/...apa-velika.jpg

What is wrong with the Djerdap 2 crossing? It seems it's closed for buses and trucks but that's it.

Old January 20th, 2014, 12:32 AM   #9399
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Another crossing of those you can see on the map that are closed was opened during the holidays, although this one just for 2 days - Nakovo - Lunga

Video:

http://www.rts.rs/page/stories/sr/st...ovo-Lunga.html

It's otherwise deserted http://goo.gl/maps/qwP0B and you can see on the video some Cold War sign in Russian and English

Here is another video

Well as I search it seems all of them were opened at least for a few days, some for a month. Vrbica–Valkanj was also opened during the Pumpkin Days in Kikinda. Also a very bad road http://goo.gl/maps/no6T5

These openings are the initiative of the Consulate General of Serbia in Timisoara and Timiș Perfect.

Crossings were closed in July 2004 when Romania abruptly decided to introduce visas for citizens of Serbia and Montenegro (and S-M reciprocated) and thus the traffic went down significantly.

Last edited by Singidunum; January 20th, 2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old January 20th, 2014, 12:45 AM   #9400
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

I read somewhere they were open before Romania became an EU member or something like that. After that RO had to introduce visas for Serbian citizens to align with EU, and these smaller border crossings were closed. Sometime later visas were lifted by the EU, also possibility to cross only by ID introduced. But these crossings remained closed.

I read in local RO media from time to time that they will be open again...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways