daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2014, 07:11 AM   #9421
Nikkodemo
ˇˇPueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87659

Mexico-Guatemala border before:

image hosted on flickr

Mexico-Guatemala border crossing por m_morgavan, en Flickr

Mexico-Guatemala border now:

image hosted on flickr

Maya-0974j por ianh3000, en Flickr

Instagram: nikkodemo_
ˇˇˇ11 Ańos en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2014, 09:27 AM   #9422
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Not road but railway...

In a Spanish thread, another forumer posted this newspaper ad.

In the late 19th century not all network was finished and north-west Spain hadn't still connection with the rest of the country. But it was possible to go there via Portugal.

Free translation of the text:

"Special service for Galicia
Tui, Vigo, Redondela, Ridavavia, Orense

starting on June 15th 1882
Journey average time: 34 hours.

Departing from Madrid every day at 10:00 in an Express train

1st, 2nd and 3rd class"

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 04:33 PM   #9423
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Interesting, I've never heard of this one.
That "Roosevelt International Park" or whatever it's called (don't have the map open now) on the map is the site of Franklin Roosevelt's summer home. That's why I went there: I was in Maine for a few days and one day took a day trip up to Campobello, on to Saint Andrew's and then back to where I was staying. Using Maine 9, which is one of the most desolate roads I've ever been on.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 05:54 PM   #9424
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16174

Can national police cross Schengen border in pursuit?

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:08 PM   #9425
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2097

Yes, AFAIK.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:13 PM   #9426
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 13995

Two recent examples (in Hungarian):

Hu/Sk: http://www.hirek.sk/belfold/20121101...anusitott.html
Hu/Au: http://www.kisalfold.hu/dunantul/aut...rakok/2139202/

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:14 PM   #9427
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
Yes but they have to advice (radio, phone or so) to local police ASAP and if they catch the person, he must be given to local police and they have to prepare an order to return back him to their country.

Depending of borders, distance where they can cross can vary. For instance PT/ES is about 40 if I'm not wrong

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:23 PM   #9428
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

It happened that the austrian police went to Bratislava in pursuiting criminals.
Old January 21st, 2014, 07:36 PM   #9429
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Interesting. Thanks!

I know in movies local American police always stop on state border due to jurisdiction issues, but whether it really is like that, I don't know.

Old January 21st, 2014, 08:30 PM   #9430
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
I know in movies local American police always stop on state border due to jurisdiction issues, but whether it really is like that, I don't know.
I don't know the rules either, but I very much doubt it's that simple. (I'd imagine that police who cross into another jurisdiction should inform that jurisdiction's authorities, if only so that they're aware for the sake of safety that a police chase is going on on their roads....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 08:41 PM   #9431
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

In the US of A, State police cannot cross into another state to continue pursuit... Only the Feds can do that, according to Hollywood. I am not sure about real life though...

In the EU (Schengen states only), the police can cross the borders. They are like "feds" although Europol is supposed to be our FBI. Dunno....
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 09:06 PM   #9432
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Apparently bordering states have mutual agreements in the US that allow for this, plus there seems to be some uniform act adopted by unknown number of states that says when police crosses state line in pursuit they can still make an arrest.

http://law.onecle.com/michigan/780-c...l-780-101.html

Old January 21st, 2014, 09:09 PM   #9433
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Interesting. Thanks!

It is like that, unfortunately, in Spanish regions which have their own police force (Catalonia, the Basque Country and Navarre). They may cross international borders, but not regional ones.
Old January 21st, 2014, 10:58 PM   #9434
koszatek
***** ante portas!

Likes (Received): 4587

Some photos from Poland-Ukraine border near Hrebenne.

From PL to UA:

The small white marker is located exctly on the border line:

Ukrainian border marker:

From UA to PL:

Going down to Hrebenne along the border line:

Border crossing in Hrebenne:

Alex_ZR, Verso liked this post
koszatek está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:01 PM   #9435
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

I think Schengen allows pursuit for up to 30km, if I remember rightly? The idea is that they have enough time to inform the police of the neighbouring country - and they aren't allowed to use weapons.

I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing joint police forces near Schengen borders? I've always wondered why - for instance - the German Federal Police and the Polish Border Guard don't have a single unit to patrol the area next to the border. They have joint patrols, of course - but surely it would make a lot of sense to 66have a single unit operating with mandatory fluency in Polish and German?

Could you theoretically follow that path along the border to the entrance of the Polish border station if you stayed on the Polish side? There isn't any rule in Poland about approaching the border, is there?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:45 PM   #9436
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

And it is so easy to take some steps inside Ukraine? From Romania is almost impossible, Ukrainian border guards are very strict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Could you theoretically follow that path along the border to the entrance of the Polish border station if you stayed on the Polish side? There isn't any rule in Poland about approaching the border, is there?
Just less than a year ago, I was involved in some design works for a telecommunication project along a similar road, parallel with the Romanian/Ukrainian border, just meters from the border itself. In Romania we need to find the main border police office in the area and declare our purposes (works to do very close to the border, birdwatching, fishing-if the border is a river- and so on). In my particular case, they made a copy of my ID and gave me a temporary permit on my name. I said I will work three days, they gave me a permit for five days. Also, in the permit was written that I can take as many pictures I want on Romanian side towards the Romanian side, but no picture towards Ukraine.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:50 PM   #9437
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

It's not a problem in Poland to cross to Ukraine - the border is pretty much unguarded, though Poland does quite heavily patrol slightly inland in some places. For instance - I've met border guards camping in the woods about 1km away from the actual border. Ukrainian guards are nowhere to be seen most of the time - though I'm not sure if they patrol an 'inner' line too?

The 'green border' is more or less wide open though, and I don't think either side is particularly concerned about people who cross it by a few metres. Having said that, there are some places where you can't approach - there's a place in the Bieszczady Mountains where a road for about 400m is a no-go area for some strange reason.

But I think the Russian/Belarusian borders are a different story.

nenea_hartia liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 12:01 AM   #9438
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Few years ago I had the chance to participate in an Schengen exercise done by Romanian & Hungarian police. Then I found out that the police officers in pursuit of a suspect are allowed to cross the border for max. 30 km, but they have to announce via a special system (named TAIEX or something like that) when they approach the border, so that the police from the other country can take over the pursuit as fast as possible.

I have a video from that exercise, but unfortunately I can't share it in public. The press release (in Romanian) is here.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Singidunum, nbcee liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 12:24 AM   #9439
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

In Serbia there is a border zone that goes near the border line and you are supposed to have a permit to be there, even near the airport there are signs about the border zone. How heavily do they enforce this is probably related to the level of criminal activity in that area. Also the same goes for the other side. The most illegal crossings are to Hungary which is a pretty difficult terrain to cross unnoticed given it's just flat fields with almost no trees plus Hungarian side uses all the fancy cameras, like those that caught the bear That is I guess why there are far less illegal immigrants caught when they jump in than they jump out, because they go in via Macedonia and Bulgaria, where terrain is much more difficult to manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing joint police forces near Schengen borders? I've always wondered why - for instance - the German Federal Police and the Polish Border Guard don't have a single unit to patrol the area next to the border. They have joint patrols, of course - but surely it would make a lot of sense to 66have a single unit operating with mandatory fluency in Polish and German?
Don't they already exist? Here is a video about joint border patrols of Bosnian border guards with those of Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro.

nbcee liked this post
Old January 22nd, 2014, 01:09 AM   #9440
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

My father back in the 80s\early 90s used to work for a company that made topographical maps. For a long time he had a work in the province of Gorizia. His job was going around through streets, forest trails and even private gardens and driveways (after permission of the owners, of course) to check if everything was reported correctly on the map. In more than one occasion he risked to step unwillingly into Yugoslavia because the border wasn't sealed everywhere and in forest areas only border stones and some signs informed of where the border actually was. And, during communism, it wasn't a joke, one who did the same job in the 70s spent a week in jail in Koper until the Italian embassy in Belgrade asked for being released (and he was banned to entry in Yugoslavia until the country dissolved).
And even in Gorizia centre there were at least two places where it was possible to cross the border by foot through trails or private driveways, like this and this.
During Yugoslavia times and also with Slovenia until 2007 some small border crossings were open only to people living less than 10km from them (both in Italy or in Slovenia\Yugoslavia). They didn't show their passport but a special document called lasciapassare in Italian or propusnica in Slovenian that was released only to people living in the border area.
During recognition works my father drove along a mountain road that ended at a closed border crossing (for those without lasciapassare). The Italian border guard had to open the pike only to allow him turn around towards Italy. But it was after Slovenian independence so the situation was more relaxed than during communism.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways