daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #9461
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

While we're on the topic of Neum, has anyone here visited the area since last July? I'd like to know some things...

- Is Croatia carrying out comprehensive entry/exit checks these days?
- What about BiH - are they treating it now as a serious border crossing?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #9462
Markowice10

Likes (Received): 69

In September 2013.
No control was in Neum.
Markowice10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #9463
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
While we're on the topic of Neum, has anyone here visited the area since last July? I'd like to know some things...

- Is Croatia carrying out comprehensive entry/exit checks these days?
- What about BiH - are they treating it now as a serious border crossing?
I crossed Neum borders twice in September, and the exit and entry checks by both Croatia and BiH were not comprehensive at all, I don't remember exactly whether it was in the Croatian or in the Bosnian side, but one of the times we did not have to stop at all; the other times they just asked us where were we from and where were we going to, but they did not look at our passports..

In contrast, we also used Ivanica and Metkovic border crossings during that trip and there was a huge difference, especially in Metkovic (entering Croatia), where the control was really exhaustive. Using Ivanica to enter BiH is a unique experience, the guard manually opened the barrier and we got BiH stamps in our passports (not in Neum).

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #9464
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
In contrast, we also used Ivanica and Metkovic border crossings during that trip and there was a huge difference, especially in Metkovic (entering Croatia), where the control was really exhaustive. Using Ivanica to enter BiH is a unique experience, the guard manually opened the barrier and we got BiH stamps in our passports (not in Neum).
Good to know if someone wants stamps
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #9465
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Thank you to both of you for your comments, it helps with my research

Quote:
I crossed Neum borders twice in September, and the exit and entry checks by both Croatia and BiH were not comprehensive at all, I don't remember exactly whether it was in the Croatian or in the Bosnian side, but one of the times we did not have to stop at all; the other times they just asked us where were we from and where were we going to, but they did not look at our passports..
Sigh - this is exactly what makes a mockery of border controls. They went to the effort of building the new facilities, then they don't actually bother to control things at all. Apparently the reason for the loose BiH control is that a secondary control exists outside of Neum on the road towards Mostar, but that's no reason for Croatia to have such lax controls. Certainly - I'd expect at least a decent Customs control given that the prices on certain goods will have to rise considerably to EU norms.

Quote:
That shows how times have changed - when I used Metkovic last time in 2011, the control was incredibly laid back by Croatia. Ivanica is a great experience, I agree - did the BiH officer also take your passports into his hut to check?

Manual opening of gates also exists at the 'other' HR/MNE border at...I forget the name, the one near Prevlaka I had a great laugh there with the MNE customs/passport control guys there - the traffic was minimal and they were just sitting back in the sun and enjoying themselves. Even the Croatian guards were doing nothing much other than sitting and watching the bay.

As for stamps - I could kill the Croatians for the mess that they've made with my passport, including stamping one page in the middle that had 4 very neatly placed Ukrainian stamps!
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 11:50 PM   #9466
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
a secondary control exists outside of Neum on the road towards Mostar
Really? Where exactly?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 01:27 AM   #9467
an-148

Likes (Received): 31

I'm living in Ivanica the whole summer and I can say that the checks are harrassing during the summer holidays (holidays of people of Trebinje)and the warm weekends outside the holidays !! (from my house, I see files up to 3 hours (only 1 car per 4 to 5 minutes) !! (same situation before 1st July 2013 and after) : it's a volontary behaviour of the border police after a local newspaper wrote (in 2011, I believe) that the most undesired tourists came from BiH with their frigoboxes and sandwiches to stay the afternoon on THEIR beaches
@ eulanthe: the crossing you write about is called Vitaljina(HR)/Kobila(MNE) and is worth the 5 kilometer to avoid the crazy bordercrossing on the magistrale !!
an-148 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 01:40 AM   #9468
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3991

Quote:
That shows how times have changed - when I used Metkovic last time in 2011, the control was incredibly laid back by Croatia. Ivanica is a great experience, I agree - did the BiH officer also take your passports into his hut to check
Yes, the officer did that! And a few kilometers after having entered BiH (but before having entered the Republika Srpska) there was another control, this time by police, checking again our documentation, but this time focusing more on the car papers.

We were on our way to Mostar from Dubrovnik and the GPS showed Ivanica boder crossing as the faster option. Although the road is worse than through Neum and Metkovic, it saved us having to cross 3 borders in a few kilometers, and of course there was less traffic. We did the return trip through Metkovic and we spent more than 20 minutes queuing to cross the border.The Croatian officers even checked the car's engine (so we had to wait there for more than 10 minutes), but I think it was a random check, other vehicles did not have such a comprehensible check. In Ivanica we were all set in less than 5 minutes.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 12:20 PM   #9469
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Yes, the officer did that! And a few kilometers after having entered BiH (but before having entered the Republika Srpska) there was another control, this time by police, checking again our documentation, but this time focusing more on the car papers.

We were on our way to Mostar from Dubrovnik and the GPS showed Ivanica boder crossing as the faster option. Although the road is worse than through Neum and Metkovic, it saved us having to cross 3 borders in a few kilometers, and of course there was less traffic. We did the return trip through Metkovic and we spent more than 20 minutes queuing to cross the border.The Croatian officers even checked the car's engine (so we had to wait there for more than 10 minutes), but I think it was a random check, other vehicles did not have such a comprehensible check. In Ivanica we were all set in less than 5 minutes.
Another issue is the nationality of car in front of you. Especially in Metkovic, I got Serbian truck in front of me. The border officers literally took it apart and I was waiting perhaps 20 minutes. The truck was the only car in queue.

The same at Greek-Macedonian Border on Greek exit. Macedonian car in front of me. The police took it apart, took the luggage out, and forced the passengers to get out of the car. When I got to the border-check, the policeman just took my passport, ask me "Slovenia?" and after my correction "No, Slovakia" he just smiled, did a not-bad-face, told "never mind" and wished me a pleasant journey.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #9470
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
I didn't get any stamp on the BiH-border, not in Metković (entering BiH) and not in Ivanica (leaving BiH). And in Neum nothing at all. The waiting time in Metković was about 20 minutes (that border crossing is a mess anyway beacause of trucks and busses trying to enter the long queues in the middle)

HR-> MNE via Debeli Brijeg: Got exit- and entrystamps. But when leaving MNE via Kobila, again no stamps on both sides. But Kobila took only 5 minutes.
Old January 26th, 2014, 06:35 PM   #9471
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Another issue is the nationality of car in front of you. Especially in Metkovic, I got Serbian truck in front of me. The border officers literally took it apart and I was waiting perhaps 20 minutes. The truck was the only car in queue.

The same at Greek-Macedonian Border on Greek exit. Macedonian car in front of me. The police took it apart, took the luggage out, and forced the passengers to get out of the car. When I got to the border-check, the policeman just took my passport, ask me "Slovenia?" and after my correction "No, Slovakia" he just smiled, did a not-bad-face, told "never mind" and wished me a pleasant journey.
Hahaha, good thing you are not Slovene

I once had to pass USA check in an airport, the person in front of me had been to Pakistan, as soon as they mentioned that, it was over, 20 minutes waiting... the other lines cleared and the guards at the desks went home but I was still there
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #9472
Sisimoto the HUN

Likes (Received): 292

del

Last edited by Sisimoto the HUN; January 26th, 2014 at 09:22 PM. Reason: del
Sisimoto the HUN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 06:51 AM   #9473
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87697

The famous Derby Line:

image hosted on flickr

A Map of the Border Between the USA and Canada as it Passes Through the Town of Derby Line, Vermont por amproehl, en Flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Border between Derby Line, Vermont and Stanstead, Quebec por JFGryphon, en Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Haskell Free Library and Opera House - Vermont / Quebec por Dougtone, en Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Stanstead, QC / Derby Line, VT por frankkuin, en Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Derby Line, VT por Nekonomist, en Flickr

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!

Verso, I-Soke, geometarkv, snt3000 liked this post
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 09:52 AM   #9474
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Why do they have a pedestrian crossing besides a border that cannot be crossed by car?

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #9475
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

For the locals?

EDIT: I'm playing with GMaps. Kanadzie may appreciate the "rue Railroad" and "rue Passenger" on the Quebec side....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; January 28th, 2014 at 04:08 PM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #9476
Proof Sheet

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkodemo View Post
On that map, I can see the Opera House/Library and the house that is split by the border on the west side of the road that crosses the border....but are there really other houses that the border goes through between the opera house and the border road.? Does anybody have photos of those?

I know that there is a house or two to the east that the border goes through and they front on roads that are now closed...but I wasn't aware of any others?
Proof Sheet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #9477
Verso
Islander

You better turn left here.
Old January 30th, 2014, 01:57 AM   #9478
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Where was the case of crossing twice a border to go to school?
I think it wasn't far away from there, was it?

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 03:16 AM   #9479
Verso
Islander

I think it was somewhere on the Croatian-Serbian border.
Old January 30th, 2014, 07:13 AM   #9480
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Where was the case of crossing twice a border to go to school?
I think it wasn't far away from there, was it?
Point Roberts (Whatcom County, Washington State).
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways