daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2014, 10:05 PM   #9561
bogdymol
bogdymod

Very good video!

What did the guard say regarding your camera? I crossed a lot of times the RO-HU border (and twice RO-SRB border) with the camera on and nobody said anything about it (big camera with a suction cup). Now I have a camera in the rear-view mirror that's barely noticeable. The quality is not so good, but I keep it mainly for safety (Russian style).

Regarding the french-speaking lady: I find it appropriate to speak in both English and French languages since it's a train between England and France. When I traveled with the Eurostar back in 2009 (as a normal train passenger) I remember that all announcements were made in both English and French.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2014, 10:22 PM   #9562
piotr71

He said it's forbidden to capture pictures or record videos in the area and made sure my device was turned off. He actually did not define where exactly ban applies, so I assumed it must have covered only passport check booth's area. Anyway, no other person including Eurotunnel staff mind I was recording (I use pretty eye catching, however not very large but certainly visible Sony dslr) I have not noticed any signs applying ban for camera use either, therefore I felt free to filming there (apart from the mentioned spot)

There is also an Englishman speaking, but his voice isn't that sexy, so I decided not to mention it

Last edited by piotr71; February 1st, 2014 at 11:07 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 11:42 PM   #9563
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

It is amusing how the ticket machine is on right side, makes sense in England, but... all the continentals going back have to get out and walk to other side? Maybe in France they have opposite so everyone is inconvenienced equally
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 11:45 PM   #9564
bogdymol
bogdymod

Look again. The ticket machines are half on the right side, half on the left side. They are signed with those electronic pannels above.
Old February 1st, 2014, 11:52 PM   #9565
piotr71

There is access from both sides to the ticket machine I used. Same as in France.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:29 AM   #9566
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
It is amusing how the ticket machine is on right side, makes sense in England, but... all the continentals going back have to get out and walk to other side? Maybe in France they have opposite so everyone is inconvenienced equally
I've already drove through toll gates and border crossings where passenger beside me were supposed to pay/show passports. Can't imagine what would I do If I travelled by my own.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:47 AM   #9567
Festin
Changeable constant

Likes (Received): 1458

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
In about 5:00 some good, female spoken French (for Penn's Woods maybe )

Have some question if it is possible:

1.Is it not smoother just to drive through the tunnel with the car?
2. Was it hard driving into the train and out :P?
3. Does everyone stay in their cars all the time or does it exist seats in the upper class?
Festin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:48 AM   #9568
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
Entering Russia from Belarus

http://goo.gl/maps/rs5Kh

http://goo.gl/maps/1Tmm6

Belarus from Russia

http://goo.gl/maps/Uv4nl

abandoned post

http://goo.gl/maps/xtm4L
Is it a real enclave or a map mistake?
https://maps.google.com/?ll=52.44261...76346&t=m&z=11

So, the RUS-BY border is like a Schengen border now, right? But EU citizens still need two separate visas to visit those two countries, right?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:57 AM   #9569
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16174

Didn't even notice that. But it's real, it's Sankovo-Medvezhye, part of the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, today completely depopulated.

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 01:54 AM   #9570
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Would be easier to join that enclave to Russia indeed..... what's the reason of that enclave? (country is quite recent)

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 01:55 AM   #9571
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

"In 1926, during the administrative reform, the state border between Byelorussian Soviet Republic and Russian Soviet Republic were moved to the east but administratively at farmer's will the villages Sankovo and Medvezhye became a part of Russia's Bryansk Oblast."

Old February 2nd, 2014, 11:09 AM   #9572
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festin View Post
The tunnel is for railway traffic only.

Festin liked this post
Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:09 PM   #9573
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festin View Post
Have some question if it is possible:

2. Was it hard driving into the train and out :P?
3. Does everyone stay in their cars all the time or does it exist seats in the upper class?
1. Answered by bogdymol.
2. It is very easy to go in and out. An the train is very smooth. It was a surprise for me when I travelled few years ago, because I didn't felt when the train started to move.
3. No, many people went outside their cars.

The border control:

The trains on the left:

Inside the shuttle:

bogdymol, Moravian, Festin liked this post
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:26 PM   #9574
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

what is usual behaviour in the train? first gear (or P) applied as far as i see. is it allowed to use hand brake? why they require windows (half) opened? is the ventilation inside the train good, or you can feel exhaust gases smelling?
Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:54 PM   #9575
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
what is usual behaviour in the train? first gear (or P) applied as far as i see. is it allowed to use hand brake? why they require windows (half) opened? is the ventilation inside the train good, or you can feel exhaust gases smelling?
I have noticed at least two types of carriages:
With lower ceiling and higher ceiling (for trucks). There are stairs visible in case of first ones. Where are they leading to? Is there a board with seats and perhaps canteen for passengers? If all passengers leave car, is driver supposed to leave tyhe windows halfway open?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 01:45 PM   #9576
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Has a motorway tunnel under the English Channel ever been proposed?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:06 PM   #9577
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Is there a board with seats and perhaps canteen for passengers?
As far as I could see, no, no canteen or any other facility. In fact, leaving the car in our case meant staying outside the car but near the car. There is not so much space between the cars and train's inside walls, so it is not so easy to walk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
Yes, handbrake or P brake. Before and during the trip they are making announcements in both English and French, so maybe that's why you need to half-open the window, to be sure you can hear them.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:21 PM   #9578
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Is it a real enclave or a map mistake?
https://maps.google.com/?ll=52.44261...76346&t=m&z=11

So, the RUS-BY border is like a Schengen border now, right? But EU citizens still need two separate visas to visit those two countries, right?
Speaking of this area, what the heck is that facility there: http://goo.gl/maps/E7FvE

It seems just to have an railway connection but look like barracks or something like that.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:22 PM   #9579
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

How long does the ferry take? What is the difference in price?

Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:23 PM   #9580
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3993

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
Speaking of this area, what the heck is that facility there: http://goo.gl/maps/E7FvE

It seems just to have an railway connection but look like barracks or something like that.
Obviously something military.
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways