daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:27 PM   #9581
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Has a motorway tunnel under the English Channel ever been proposed?
It probably has been proposed at some point, but the Channel Tunnel is usually operating at a loss (the amount of travelers is lower than anticipated) so I don't think they want another competing road tunnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
How long does the ferry take? What is the difference in price?
The ferry usually takes between 60 and 90 minutes depending on which ferry route you take. It's not that much slower than the tunnel if you factor in the high frequency ferry schedule and customs controls.

The ferry is often cheaper than the tunnel. The tunnel is quite expensive, especially if you travel at busy hours or don't book very far in advance. The prices can be as low as € 50 but as high as over € 150 for a single trip.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Singidunum liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:31 PM   #9582
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

Seeing those prices, no wonder the Channel Tunnel is usually operating at a loss...
How much is for example the bridge between Sweden and Denmark?
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 03:01 PM   #9583
devo

Likes (Received): 41

€ 44,-

http://easygo.com/en/location/denmark/oresund-bridge
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 03:04 PM   #9584
bogdymol
bogdymod

And the Mont Blanc tunnel between France and Italy is 42 € one way...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 03:29 PM   #9585
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16174

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The prices can be as low as € 50 but as high as over € 150 for a single trip.
Oh lŕ lŕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Is there a subscription for frequent travellers? How can there be people living in Malmo and working in Copenhagen with that price? They would have to spend around 1700€ just on bridge toll a month.

edit: ah there is a subscription, for 38.00 a year, it costs between 14.00 and 21.00 to cross the bridge.http://uk.oresundsbron.com/page/945

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 03:45 PM   #9586
ChrisZwolle
Road user

If I do a test booking for a single trip from Calais to Folkestone tomorrow, it costs between € 102 and € 183 depending on the time of the day. The FlexiPlus fare costs € 279.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 04:08 PM   #9587
JB1981

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I have noticed at least two types of carriages: With lower ceiling and higher ceiling (for trucks). There are stairs visible in case of first ones. Where are they leading to? Is there a board with seats and perhaps canteen for passengers? If all passengers leave car, is driver supposed to leave tyhe windows halfway open?
The higher carriages are for buses, caravans and other non-commercial vehicles higher than 2 m. Trucks and other vehicles used for transport travel on open carriages, on which it is forbidden to stay in your vehicle. All drivers are picked up by a shuttle bus and brought to a passenger carriage.
JB1981 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 04:10 PM   #9588
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1749

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1981 View Post
The higher carriages are for buses, caravans and non-commercial vehicles higher than 2 m. Trucks and other vehicles used for transport travel on open carriages, on which it is forbidden to stay in your vehicle. All drivers are picked up by a shuttle bus and brought to a passenger carriage.
Thank you. Played too much Eurotruck simulator So what is on the next floor in carriages for cars smaller than 2 m?

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 04:10 PM   #9589
JB1981

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Thank you. Played too much Eurotruck simulator So what is on the next floor in carriages for cars smaller than 2 m?
More cars!
JB1981 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 04:31 PM   #9590
volodaaaa

And what about the transit between FRG and West Berlin during cold war? I heard there were motorways in DDR designated only for Westberlin transit. Were Eastern Germans allowed to use this motorways? Were Eastern Germans allowed to share the motorway and roadside rest areas with Westerns? Or what about when Western German left the motorway in the middle of DDR?

Old February 2nd, 2014, 04:39 PM   #9591
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Everyone could use those highways, but not the rest areas, which were only for East Germans of for transit traffic. Common use was forbidden.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 05:19 PM   #9592
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Quote:
If I do a test booking for a single trip from Calais to Folkestone tomorrow, it costs between € 102 and € 183 depending on the time of the day. The FlexiPlus fare costs € 279.
And they still wonder why they are running losses?

Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:44 PM   #9593
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
Everyone could use those highways, but not the rest areas, which were only for East Germans of for transit traffic. Common use was forbidden.
And Wessie couldn't exit

I love reading the stories of people who used to drive those routes. Driving on such autobahn was like visiting the bottom of the sea like Jacques Cousteau, could observe, real East German!, but only from safety of inside the VW. And the famous "elastomer" sign. Thank God such insanity as this is now only history we read / hear about and not still reality.

My family had similar story earlier, escaping to West via S-bahn before wall was built. While in the East, some guards noticed large suitcases in the wagon and asked, whose they were, but... nobody said anything, and so, we are here

You can find more here:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit..._durch_die_DDR

volodaaaa liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:53 PM   #9594
piotr71

Quote:
It probably has been proposed at some point, but the Channel Tunnel is usually operating at a loss (the amount of travelers is lower than anticipated) so I don't think they want another competing road tunnel.

The ferry usually takes between 60 and 90 minutes depending on which ferry route you take. It's not that much slower than the tunnel if you factor in the high frequency ferry schedule and customs controls.

The ferry is often cheaper than the tunnel. The tunnel is quite expensive, especially if you travel at busy hours or don't book very far in advance. The prices can be as low as € 50 but as high as over € 150 for a single trip.
Not really. You can pay as low as 46 pounds in both ways. I sometimes book 'day trip'* twice for a 2 or 3 week trip to Europe. One booking, let say, in 21 of July and the other in 15 of August, so I can pay less than 100 pounds in both ways.

Example for tommorow:

If it comes to difference in crossing times there is one significant advantage of Eurotunnel - no storms. Rough sea may prolong you trip for hours. And by the way, I've never experienced ferry crossing lasting less than 1 hrs 30 not counting loading and unloading (altogether about 2 hrs 15 mins in most advantageous circumstances) Tunnel is much more reliable and usually arrives on time.

* edited

Last edited by piotr71; February 2nd, 2014 at 08:03 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:02 PM   #9595
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
And Wessie couldn't exit
How was it enforced? Guards at every exit? It must have been very interesting.

Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:05 PM   #9596
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Not really. You can pay as low as 46 pounds in both ways. I sometimes book 'day trip'* twice for a 2 or 3 week trip to Europe. One booking, let say, in 21 of July and the other in 15 of August, so I can pay less than 100 pounds in both ways.

Example for tommorow:
Weird, I can only see very high rates for tomorrow:
Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:15 PM   #9597
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
How was it enforced? Guards at every exit? It must have been very interesting.
Stasi driving cars with stolen BRD license plates, usually with expired inspection sticker
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:17 PM   #9598
piotr71

64 pouns (about 58 euros in both ways)

Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:33 PM   #9599
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Quote:
And Wessie couldn't exit

I love reading the stories of people who used to drive those routes. Driving on such autobahn was like visiting the bottom of the sea like Jacques Cousteau, could observe, real East German!, but only from safety of inside the VW. And the famous "elastomer" sign. Thank God such insanity as this is now only history we read / hear about and not still reality.

My family had similar story earlier, escaping to West via S-bahn before wall was built. While in the East, some guards noticed large suitcases in the wagon and asked, whose they were, but... nobody said anything, and so, we are here

You can find more here:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit..._durch_die_DDR
I've heard stories that if you would drive far enough from Berlin the checkpoints would stop and you would be able to go to some towns as a foreigner.

Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:40 PM   #9600
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
And Wessie couldn't exit
Could, but there were watchtowers at all exits, so you would be stopped by the police within minutes.

I have been twice on the Transitautobahns (Helmstedt-Berlin) and it was quite interesting

Tags
highways, motorways