daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #9661
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
No, I think it should not be taken that strictly. I suppose all Guyanas (incl. Suriname) belongs rather to Latin America than Anglo-America.

I perceive the word "Latin" in "Latin America" as somehting that determines the nature of culture, not only the development of language. I think Guyana is closer to Brazilian culture than British. Namely, I am sure that inhabitants of Guyana better dance samba than tell boring British jokes

Talking about "continent borders" I remember my Geography lessons.

Teacher taugh that:

- for weather and some climate influences, he talked only about four continents. Europe and Asia one together, Africa, Oceania and America. He didn't talk about Antarctica for this issue and the reason of only four was because in the Eastern Asia you fin several things quite similar to Eastern America (never mind if north or south) or Eastern Africa. The same case for Western (in this case Europe) similar to Western America (never mind if north or south) and Africa indeed.

- for islands, all of them related to the nearest continent, never mind the country they are part of, either the international treaties. Cyprus is African. This single Spanish island in the middle of nowhere is African too (a little more near to Africa than to Europe), Greenland is American, Easter Island (Chile) is from Oceania and so on...

- and for continents in the rest of issues, always six. Africa was set in the Suez canal (thus Egypt has part of the territory in Asia) and about America, I learn about North America until Yucatan (Canada, USA and almost all Mexico), Central America for all Caribean islands and from Yucatan to Panama canal (so a small part of Mexico and part of Panama) and finally south America from Panama canal until the south (I think it has nonsense to set it in a political border Panama-Colombia, should it change, should we have to change the continent?)

And, finally about languages... all caribean countries except Cuba, Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic do not speak Spanish.
All continental countries in the area except Guyana, French Guyanne, Surinam and... Belize speak Spanish (or Portuguese... because Brazil)

I do not know in the case of Portuguese but speaking in Spanish, the word America refers to the whole continent, from Alaska to Ushuaia. If you want to talk about the US, you may say the full name of the country. In the case of the word "American" it is more often to use it for anything related to USA, but you have to see the context.
Just think in any news, any meeting, any affair related to "American countries" or so... think in the language it is probably they will use and think they will not avoid the word for themselves.
Latin-America is barely used in Spanish (it exists but barely used). Latin... is the name of a language not spoken already.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:48 PM   #9662
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

In English, "American countries" is meaningless*. It's "North and South America," "the Americas," or "the Western Hemisphere." "Western Hemisphere countries" would be the best way to say that.

*Google it. You get some entries that are about "North American countries," some that are about "Latin-American countries"....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; February 6th, 2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Didn't mean to shout. F--ing cap-lock key.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:50 PM   #9663
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

"The Americas" is never used in Dutch as far as I know. When people say "Amerika" they mean the U.S.A. It's usually North and South America, with Panama being on the border of both. The term Central America is usually applied in a cultural sense, not in a continental geographical sense.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:54 PM   #9664
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1749

As I think back, I have never used "American countries". Can't imagine, what it would be. Perhaps American states - it could refer to 50 states of USA.

Btw.
"United States" is also very unclear notion since it may refer to Mexico and Brazil (at least in my language) as well as to USA. But people using this term to USA.

The same goes to "America". If someone tells "America", 50 % he thinks USA, 50 % continent.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #9665
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

It's interesting to play with Wikipedia articles. The English article on "Continents" starts out by saying there are seven of them, although farther down it recognizes that there are different models.

The Spanish article starts out with the five-continent definition.

There's a Spanish article on "América" which corresponds to an English one on "Americas."

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #9666
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Lol..... one of those states is not in America!!!!!!

Btw, in Spanish, "The Americas" exists but not used. It refers when almost one century ago there was many emigration to there and "people were to the Americas" (to somewhere in the America continent)

Old February 6th, 2014, 06:59 PM   #9667
volodaaaa

Btw. have you noticed we are still in topic? But we are rather talking about "international boundaries" than "border crossings"

Old February 6th, 2014, 07:09 PM   #9668
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
"The Americas" is never used in Dutch as far as I know. When people say "Amerika" they mean the U.S.A. It's usually North and South America, with Panama being on the border of both. The term Central America is usually applied in a cultural sense, not in a continental geographical sense.
Much the same in Hungary, actually in Denmark too. When you hear someone telling you about a trip to "Amerika" we all mean USA and not f eks. Peru.
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #9669
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Talking about "continent borders" I remember my Geography lessons.

Teacher taugh that:

- for weather and some climate influences, he talked only about four continents. Europe and Asia one together, Africa, Oceania and America. He didn't talk about Antarctica for this issue and the reason of only four was because in the Eastern Asia you fin several things quite similar to Eastern America (never mind if north or south) or Eastern Africa. The same case for Western (in this case Europe) similar to Western America (never mind if north or south) and Africa indeed.

- for islands, all of them related to the nearest continent, never mind the country they are part of, either the international treaties. Cyprus is African. This single Spanish island in the middle of nowhere is African too (a little more near to Africa than to Europe), Greenland is American, Easter Island (Chile) is from Oceania and so on...

- and for continents in the rest of issues, always six. Africa was set in the Suez canal (thus Egypt has part of the territory in Asia) and about America, I learn about North America until Yucatan (Canada, USA and almost all Mexico), Central America for all Caribean islands and from Yucatan to Panama canal (so a small part of Mexico and part of Panama) and finally south America from Panama canal until the south (I think it has nonsense to set it in a political border Panama-Colombia, should it change, should we have to change the continent?)

And, finally about languages... all caribean countries except Cuba, Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic do not speak Spanish.
All continental countries in the area except Guyana, French Guyanne, Surinam and... Belize speak Spanish (or Portuguese... because Brazil)

I do not know in the case of Portuguese but speaking in Spanish, the word America refers to the whole continent, from Alaska to Ushuaia. If you want to talk about the US, you may say the full name of the country. In the case of the word "American" it is more often to use it for anything related to USA, but you have to see the context.
Just think in any news, any meeting, any affair related to "American countries" or so... think in the language it is probably they will use and think they will not avoid the word for themselves.
Latin-America is barely used in Spanish (it exists but barely used). Latin... is the name of a language not spoken already.
Cyprus isn't closer to Asia (Turkey) than Africa? (Yes, I could look at a map, but I can't be bothered. See sig. :-) )

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #9670
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Btw. have you noticed we are still in topic? But we are rather talking about "international boundaries" than "border crossings"
Well, we have to be good: Chris is here.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:15 PM   #9671
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Geographically speaking, Greenland is also a part of North America.

Iceland, on the other hand, was born of the lava that erupted in the process of North America and Europe tearing apart of each other (which process is still underway) - so geographically speaking, it isn't a part of either any more than the another
Yes, if you're talking about tectonic plates, but otherwise it's actually closer to North America (Greenland).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:23 PM   #9672
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Cyprus isn't closer to Asia (Turkey) than Africa? (Yes, I could look at a map, but I can't be bothered. See sig. :-) )
Ooooooops... you're right!!!!!

Old February 6th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #9673
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
No, I think it should not be taken that strictly. I suppose all Guyanas (incl. Suriname) belongs rather to Latin America than Anglo-America.

I perceive the word "Latin" in "Latin America" as somehting that determines the nature of culture, not only the development of language. I think Guyana is closer to Brazilian culture than British. Namely, I am sure that inhabitants of Guyana better dance samba than tell boring British jokes
I guess that the original idea must have been much simpler... surely when someone decided to start using Latin-America (and "latinoamerica" in spanish) they just forgot that the guyannas or the small caribbean islands even existed... so they surely were looking for a way to describe (geographically) the american continent outside USA and Canada. Since you can't call it "spanish-america" because Brazil speaks portuguese, the only option to tie both spanish and portuguese is to refer to the Latin language they evolved from... (French also evolved from latin so it's still ok for all the french territories, just the dutch or english ones would be a problem).

Culturally Latin America is less homogenic than what many people believe.
Go to to Patagonia and you might find snow and blondes with spanish names and german surnames dancing electronic music, go to certain parts of Bolivia and you might find true indian decendants keeping it's original culture, go to Brazil and you might find a lot of japanese decendants... it's a quite complex area if you travel it...

volodaaaa liked this post
MrAkumana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 03:43 AM   #9674
albert0123

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
I think Guyana is closer to Brazilian culture than British. Namely, I am sure that inhabitants of Guyana better dance samba than tell boring British jokes
you all seem to forget Carribbean islands like Trinidat and Tobago, these have an cultural mix of british-india, the same for Guyana but it still has some dutch background. hardly no latin american influences for there are almost no road connections. these countrys are connected with europe by air and sea! cricket is the national sport in both countries
the same for Suriname dutch-african-india inflluences. in fact all these countries resemble more the indian subcontinent, included bollywood films!
Dominica and Haiti have a nice mix of french-africa with an english topping. they both speak a similar language.
all these countries are still oriented to europe, most connections in the region are by air or sea. road connections with naboring latin american countries hardly exist, there is almost no trade between them.

Last edited by albert0123; February 7th, 2014 at 03:52 AM.
albert0123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 03:54 AM   #9675
albert0123

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
I think Guyana is closer to Brazilian culture than British. Namely, I am sure that inhabitants of Guyana better dance samba than tell boring British jokes
you all seem to forget Carribbean islands like Trinidat and Tobago, these have an cultural mix of british-india, the same for Guyana but it still has some dutch background. hardly no latin american influences for there are almost no road connections. these countrys are connected with europe by air and sea!
the same for Suriname dutch-african-india inflluences. in fact these countrys resemble more the indian subcontinent, included bollywood films!
Dominica and Haiti have a nice mix of french-africa with an english topping. they both speak a similar language.
albert0123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:01 AM   #9676
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87680

GUATEMALA/EL SALVADOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNY81 View Post

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #9677
Verso
Islander

Just another boring invisible inner Schengen border...

piotr71 liked this post

Last edited by Verso; February 11th, 2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old February 12th, 2014, 12:17 AM   #9678
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Just another boring invisible inner Schengen border...

Gorizia Mauer

Old February 12th, 2014, 01:11 AM   #9679
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Gorizia Mauer
Görzer Mauer.

cinxxx liked this post
Old February 12th, 2014, 02:01 AM   #9680
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4188

Belgium is finally doing something about the abandoned customs infrastructure at the border with France.

After Hensies, the old buildings at the Rekkem border station are now being demolished.

Hensies:

Rekkem:

New buildings, car parks and service station will be constructed
image hosted on flickr

(Hensies)

MrAkumana, Robi_damian, snt3000 liked this post
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways