daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #9701
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It is "Tsjechië" in Dutch. The Č is phonetically turned into "tsj". "ia" usually becomes "ië" in Dutch, though not universally. Virginia, Georgia and Pennsylvania retain their names in Dutch, but California becomes Californië, it is the only state which changes its name in Dutch, though technically it could also be Noord Dakota, Nieuw York and Zuid Carolina but this is never used.
You should call New York "Nieuw Nederland." It would make perfect sense. [DISCLAIMER: That's not a serious, you're-misusing-your-language, suggestion that would be totally out of line on my part.]

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #9702
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

"Britse eilanden" is quite common in Dutch. Many people use the name "England" when they refer to the UK though.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 09:42 PM   #9703
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
It's not true. You use it only in a sentence, but otherwise it's just Netherlands (yes, the Dutch thread's title is wrong). The only countries with "the" in their names are The Bahamas and The Gambia.
Huh?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 13th, 2014, 09:43 PM   #9704
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Well, the native speakers should join our "Balkan English talks" and clarify it .
Happy to oblige.

But it is snowing, yet again.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 13th, 2014, 09:45 PM   #9705
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
"Britse eilanden" is quite common in Dutch. Many people use the name "England" when they refer to the UK though.
Not Engeland?

Was looking at an item in Le Figaro Magazine yesterday, on the travel page, about luxury trains between London and Edinburgh, which talked about the opportunity to see some of the high points of "Angleterre." I'm not sure if they were talking about places you could see en route, or misusing England to include Scotland. Perhaps - troll mode on - they're trying to anger the Scots into seceding from the UK - troll mode off.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 13th, 2014, 09:55 PM   #9706
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Maybe they're following the commentator...

To my ears Cechia is cacophonous.

so it happens in Spanish but both words are used.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #9707
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Now, it occurred to me recently that I don't know if "British Isles" has an equivalent in other languages. I don't think I've heard "îles Britanniques" in French. So, how do various continental languages say it?
In Finnish it's Britteinsaaret. It's used in weather reports and things like that.

UK is officially "Yhdistynyt kuningaskunta" or "Ison-Britannian ja Pohjois-Irlannin yhdistynyt kuningaskunta". It cannot be shortened as YK because that means UN. More commonly used name, including newspapers, is "Iso-Britannia" or simply "Britannia".
Old February 13th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #9708
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9961

Quote:
Now, it occurred to me recently that I don't know if "British Isles" has an equivalent in other languages. I don't think I've heard "îles Britanniques" in French. So, how do various continental languages say it?
We say Îles Britanniques as well in French.
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #9709
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:
In Italian there is no distinction between isle and island. So it's just "Isole Britanniche", considering Great Britain and Ireland (plus the minor ones).

Last edited by g.spinoza; February 14th, 2014 at 08:49 AM.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #9710
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18306

What is the actual status on Kosovo crossings with Serbia?

If for example you entered Kosovo from Albania, end want to exit to Serbia? I know there were problems if doing so, and you wouldn't be let inside Serbia (no problems if you entered Serbia first and have a valid entrance). Would you have to show a passport to Serbian control (and so get you Kosovo stamp annulled) or an ID would also suffice?
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 11:30 PM   #9711
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
We say Îles Britanniques as well in French.
Bon. So it's just that I've never heard it.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 14th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #9712
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
The Slovakia is wrong, but I think the usage of The republic of Slovakia may be all right since the "the" is linked to a general noun "republic" not Slovakia.
It's actually Slovak Republic, not Republic of Slovakia. Again, you use it only in a sentence. The official long name of Slovakia isn't "The Slovak Republic", but "Slovak Republic". On the other hand, it's "The Kingdom of the Netherlands".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
How about the Republic of the Congo and the Democratic Republic of the Congo? Just "Congo" would lead to confusion, that is why sometimes I want to think about the former Zaire as the Belgian Congo...
When Zaire still existed the Republic of the Congo was known simply as "Congo". I suppose it's still entitled to use this short name, but hardly anyone still uses it, especially since it's much smaller than DRC. On contrary, many people call DRC "Congo".

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles (there are plenty of languages on the left)

Quote:
Huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
khm, i wouldn't be so sure. try to google it a bit. i also remember that our english teacher in elementary school talked something about it.
also, i have taken a look at dictionary. it is not the newst, but anyway...
My Slovenian-English dictionary says the same, but I wouldn't trust them too much in this case.
Quote:
In English, the Bahamas is one of only two countries whose official name begins with the word "the", along with The Gambia.[10]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bah...mology_of_name
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 01:40 AM   #9713
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Bon. So it's just that I've never heard it.
French people usually try to avoid talking about England entirely or just call them rosbifs

I think the normal reference to Congo is by capital city, usually these days "Congo-Brazzaville" or "Congo-Kinshasa", at least when I have heard in English or French in places where it was needed to be clear...

In Canada in english we often say "the Ukraine" but some Ukranian-descent people get annoyed by the "the" and insist on only "Ukraine".

I have tendency to just call Czech "C Z", it sounds pretty cool...

Penn's Woods liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 08:08 AM   #9714
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87694

We are known as Mexico, but the official name is United Mexican States.

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 09:19 AM   #9715
an-148

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
French people usually try to avoid talking about England entirely or just call them rosbifs

I think the normal reference to Congo is by capital city, usually these days "Congo-Brazzaville" or "Congo-Kinshasa", at least when I have heard in English or French in places where it was needed to be clear...

In Canada in english we often say "the Ukraine" but some Ukranian-descent people get annoyed by the "the" and insist on only "Ukraine".

as we are diverging from official names and go to the spoken language:

- for the joke: it's exact that french speaking people use to speak about the british as the "rosbifs" , but they have the reply ready and spek about "froggies" when speaking about frenchies .
- more seriously: both Congo's have always (at least as long as I live) been called Congo and Congo-Brazza: more was not necessary to distinguish them (even in times of Zaïre)
an-148 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 01:36 PM   #9716
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

Quote:
Gorizia Mauer
Quote:
Görzer Mauer.
How well guarded by the Yugoslavian army was Nova Gorica? Was the area forbidden for other Yugoslavian citizens not living there, like border areas of DDR and Hungary were?
Old February 14th, 2014, 01:45 PM   #9717
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
How well guarded by the Yugoslavian army was Nova Gorica? Was the area forbidden for other Yugoslavian citizens not living there, like border areas of DDR and Hungary were?
No, you could touch the border from both sides, the situation was more relaxed in Yugoslavia than in Warsaw Pact countries. However there was border police patrolling the border and arresting people who crossed it. One who knew my father was detained for a week in Koper back in the 70s for walking few meters into Yugoslavia by mistake (there were no fences in the forest).
Despite all terrible episodes during Italian fascism (forced italianization of Slovenes and Croats living in Italian territory), WWII (Italian invasion of Yugoslavia with mass murders and deportations, together with Nazi Germany) and communist repression after WWII (occupation of Trieste, foibe, Istrian exodus, Goli Otok), relationship between Italy and Yugoslavia were quite normal since the 1960s and it was possible to cross the border without visa. Until the fall of communism Italian media used to hide crimes committed by Yugoslavs against Italian in 1943-48 to avoid "diplomatic problems" and I think it was outrageous.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Last edited by italystf; February 14th, 2014 at 01:59 PM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #9718
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
It's actually Slovak Republic, not Republic of Slovakia. Again, you use it only in a sentence. The official long name of Slovakia isn't "The Slovak Republic", but "Slovak Republic". On the other hand, it's "The Kingdom of the Netherlands".

When Zaire still existed the Republic of the Congo was known simply as "Congo". I suppose it's still entitled to use this short name, but hardly anyone still uses it, especially since it's much smaller than DRC. On contrary, many people call DRC "Congo".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles (there are plenty of languages on the left)

My Slovenian-English dictionary says the same, but I wouldn't trust them too much in this case.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bah...mology_of_name
I can remember pre-Zaire references to "Congo (Leopoldville)" and "Congo (Brazzaville)." Now - warning, brilliant idea coming - why don't we just call them East and West Congo? Worked for the Germanies, Works for the Koreas....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 14th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #9719
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post

The "like" is for the rosbifs. Which somehow reminds me of a recent Top Gear sequence I'll have to look for.

I've just mentioned referring to the Congos by their capitals, but people don't seem to do that these days. At least not that I've heard (given that I was unaware of non-English uses of "British Isles," this may indicate I need to get out more.)

"The Ukraine" was normal until the Soviet Union broke up. "Ukraine" without "the" started then, supposedly Ukrainians (actual Ukrainians and specifically their government, as opposed to Ukrainian-Americans and Ukrainian-Canadians) thought the usage without "the" was more appropriate for an independent country. (Just like Burma at one point asked everyone to start saying "Myanmar." I still say Burma. But I'm sure official usage in the U.S. - in the State Department, in the media - is "Myanmar.") I hear Ukraine more often without the "the" these days, at least in the media, but it still sounds a little strange to me.

EDIT: Here's that Top Gear video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzo1ua9scjA

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; February 14th, 2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old February 14th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #9720
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Italian press uses Congo-Brazzaville extensively.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways