daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2014, 01:25 PM   #9941
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2096

An Italian co-worker of mine is going one week to Svalbard Islands, for work purposes, but we haven't been able to understand whether he needs a passport or just the ID card. Political status of these island is all but clear to me.

Do any of you know better?
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2014, 01:32 PM   #9942
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

ID card is ok for Schengen citizens.

g.spinoza, Skyline_ liked this post
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #9943
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote from wikipedia:

Quote:
Svalbard is an archipelago in the Arctic Ocean, constituting the northernmost part of Norway. (so it's part of Norway)

The Svalbard Treaty of 1920 established full Norwegian sovereignty over the archipelago. The islands are, unlike the Norwegian Antarctic Territory, a part of the Kingdom of Norway and not a dependency. (another proof of being part of Norway)

Although Norway is part of the European Economic Area (EEA) and the Schengen Agreement, Svalbard is not part of the Schengen Area nor EEA.[78] Non-Norwegian Svalbard residents do not need Schengen visas, but are prohibited from reaching Svalbard from mainland Norway without such. People without a source of income can be rejected by the governor.[79] Nationals of any treaty signatory country may visit the archipelago without a visa. (without visa = with passport or ID is enough?)
It's weird. If your co-worker has a passport he should take it with him. If not... better get informed before actually taking the trip. Maybe it would be better to send an e-mail to the Norwegian Embassy in Italy and ask them how it's better to proceed.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

g.spinoza liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 02:05 PM   #9944
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

I visited Svalbard 5 years ago. No visa was needed of course... I had both my passport and my national ID card.
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 02:11 PM   #9945
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

My coworker would like to spare the cost and the hassle of getting a passport, since he doesn't have one. Were you asked for the passport or was the ID enough?
Old March 12th, 2014, 02:16 PM   #9946
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
My coworker would like to spare the cost and the hassle of getting a passport, since he doesn't have one. Were you asked for the passport or was the ID enough?
I can't remember, to be honest... I think the ID will suffice.
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/

Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #9947
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

California "border stations" are just agricultural inspection points aimed at keeping the Central and Imperial valleys free of certain pests that would devastate local agriculture.
Old March 12th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #9948
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Quote:
It is specified that id card will suffice on the norwegian version of the page.
Old March 12th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #9949
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
It is specified that id card will suffice on the norwegian version of the page.
Ok, thanks! My norwegian's a bit rusty
Old March 12th, 2014, 06:08 PM   #9950
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

I've heard that in Svalbard is forbidden to wander independently outside settlements because of the risk of polar bears.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #9951
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
An Italian co-worker of mine is going one week to Svalbard Islands, for work purposes, but we haven't been able to understand whether he needs a passport or just the ID card. Political status of these island is all but clear to me.

Do any of you know better?
http://www.spitsbergen-svalbard.com/...gyearbyen.html

Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 05:40 AM   #9952
corner63
Vaga fan

Likes (Received): 22445

corner63 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 06:33 AM   #9953
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by corner63 View Post
Where is that?
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #9954
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huahum_Pass
Old March 13th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #9955
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
ok, so Google Maps is wrong there
"Wrong" is not quite correct. Google Maps is correct that there is a road or at least some kind of way. But there is no border crossing (which is not signed in Google Maps at all) and the road is blocked.

That's quite similar to the situation at Rugova Gorge (MNE/RKS):
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Pec...cc0eba51?hl=en
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Pec...cc0eba51?hl=en

However, you can't use it
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #9956
f.ostman

Likes (Received): 20

What is the situation around the former Yugoslav republics nowadays? Are all small roads blocked or is it possible cross some borders illegally by car? I have no intention to try, just curious.
f.ostman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 01:17 AM   #9957
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.ostman View Post
What is the situation around the former Yugoslav republics nowadays? Are all small roads blocked or is it possible cross some borders illegally by car? I have no intention to try, just curious.
I don't think they can be crossed by car, maybe by foot but you risk to be arrested. The border between Slovenia and Croatia is well patrolled because it's the current outer Schengen border and also the borders between Croatia and SRB\BiH\MNE, that will be the outer Schengen border in a couple of years.
Maybe borders between other republics are less patrolled but in many Balkan areas is better not to wander in the wilderness without knowing the area, since there are still minefields left from the conflict in the 90s.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 02:28 AM   #9958
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

@Administrator, Please delete doubloon.
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 02:28 AM   #9959
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
As for the first countries to open the labour market, that was always a red herring - self employment was permitted from Day 1 in every single EU country. The self employment route is why Germany saw next to no increase in immigration from Poland in May 2011.
There is an increase (though not dramatic), as you can see in the graphic on my last post.
However, how many of these "self-employed" really are so? You can see many Easterners working on construction sites for a company. In fact, at least in CH, many of these "self-employed", with a registered firm and "official" address in Poland, where caught working for indecently low wages, being in reality nothing more than employees on a dumping position .

Quote:
What reality? Those villages are dying for numerous reasons, not least because people escape them to escape the attitudes found within. No-one wants to stay in a small village in Podlasie where they can't breathe without the local priest knowing about it, hence the exodus. I'd also argue that the Polish family culture causes quite a few people to escape as far away as possible to avoid being blackmailed/bullied into returning home frequently.
Let's not forget that no-one stays in villages in Poland if they can help it. They leave for the big towns, and it's a pattern that's continued for many, many years. 2004 was nothing new.
If I can understand that for some small or medium villages, as you gave an example of the Polish family culture. What is more difficult to explain is the exodus from small towns and even bigger cities, like Łódź, in which you can find entire areas that are being emptied.

Quote:
From what I understand, plenty are coming back once they realise that there's more to life than washing dishes.
To make things simpler, those who are not wishing to come back are generally "officially" abroad; while those who move for work for a period of a few years, or months are usually "officially" in Poland.

Quote:
Those numbers don't seem particularly shocking, especially in light of the numbers leaving Britain every year. It also shows that your claim that they are concentrated in "6 or 7" countries is false.
As a matter of fact, I wrote "5 or 6 EU countries" unlike you are suggesting above. Yet, statistics shows that emigration is concentrated mostly in 6-7 countries, with a predominance in 2.

Quote:
I must ask, are you Polish? If not, then I suggest you don't understand the cultural dynamics behind the emigration. I know at least three or four individuals who emigrated not because of a better life, but because they were sick to death of their family interfering in almost everything they did. One of them simply left because her grandparents would disapprove of her living with her boyfriend, and upsetting the grandparents meant upsetting her mother.
Living in city (or a bigger village) crosses at a large measure the priest with family situation. The family-religion pressure is encountered on other EU countries as well, as per example, Italy in an even worst extent, without meeting the criteria of massive emigration.
Many of my Polish friends are not even "religious" (goes at church every Sunday), their families neither . Likewise in big cities, you will find nowadays mostly elderly people who attend church on Sundays.

Quote:
European citizenship certainly exists, and many Europeans take advantage of it every single day.
Well, I must disappoint you nothing like that even exists. It's still a goal not yet attained. Where is it written on any national passport that you are citizen of Europe ?

Quote:
A small example. I can bring as much fruit from Poland into Germany as I want. No-one is controlling me, no-one is checking. Yet if I go from Nevada to California, well... I better not have any!
California agricultural inspections have nothing to do with international border controls.
As well as another example, you can also buy legally hemp in the Netherlands, does it means you can import "legally" to Poland, I doubt . Also, I assure you controls does exist, and not only near the border, they are only at a lesser extent and more futile.

Quote:
In nearly 60 years of union, not one party has won an election with a mandate to leave any of the structures. That should tell you something about the impossibility of the Front Nationale to actually win. Even in Greece, the anti-EU parties couldn't win, and that was at a point when anger towards the EU was very very high.
Well, never before these political parties were so popular, and therefore winning an election is a possibility you must consider. What's more, even in the UK, withdrawal of EU became now a fair scenario, and it's being discussed and debated in the European Parliament and the EU Commission.

Quote:
As for the disparities between the countries, they are certainly narrowing quickly. A quick look between Eastern Germany and wealthier parts of Western Poland shows you that there is really little to no difference these days.
Of course, if you are comparing the poorest regions of Germany (with similar soviet regime past) with ones of the richest areas of Poland, sure it could make sense . Now try to compare "Poorest" Germany with Eastern "Poorest" Poland regions; it's simply not comparable .

Quote:
Poland is actually in a very fortunate situation, as she is able to educate most of her citizens well, and the ones who don't want to get an education tend to leave and are thus less of a drain on society. Works for me.
Most of its citizens are educated, at higher degree, in private universities, which swarm by hundreds across the country. Lot's of these people end up unemployed, or if more fortunate, on manual labors or low wages ones with a "master degree", even abroad .
If you are talking of the official state run universities or higher schools, it's correct, but is therefore definitely not "most of its citizens".
IMO, It was a very bad idea to forsaken vocational training and specialized schools....just to end up in jobs they where intended for .
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #9960
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Most uncospicuous border crossing ever:

http://goo.gl/maps/iS15J

Tags
highways, motorways