daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2014, 03:27 PM   #9961
Fab87
Dietrich von Welschbern

Likes (Received): 7153

Many of the italian-san marino border crossings are not even signaled. Like this one: if you turn left, you're in San Marino.

http://goo.gl/maps/n3m3H

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #9962
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Likes (Received): 2201

http://goo.gl/maps/iBXgo

I think this one has already been posted but...the point of view is in Italy, the station on the other side of the square is that of Nova Gorica in Slovenia.

YES TO THE UNITED STATES OF EUROPE ♥ FREEDOM FOR NORTH KOREA
STOP SYRIAN AND IRAQI GENOCIDE ♥ SUPPORT FEMINISM AND FEMALE EDUCATION
Fabri88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #9963
bogdymol
bogdymod

It was posted before, but it's still nice to see it again. I was there last year, in August. Here's my pic of the same square:

More pictures in my travel thread.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

los77, Fabri88, BringMe, Verso, I-Soke and 2 others liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #9964
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Likes (Received): 2201

57/15 what does it mean?

YES TO THE UNITED STATES OF EUROPE ♥ FREEDOM FOR NORTH KOREA
STOP SYRIAN AND IRAQI GENOCIDE ♥ SUPPORT FEMINISM AND FEMALE EDUCATION
Fabri88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #9965
BringMe
I Love You, Myself.

Likes (Received): 14287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabri88 View Post
57/15 what does it mean?
The Piazza della Transalpina, which lies near the homonymous station, was inaugurated in the presence of the heir to the throne of Austria-Hungary Archduke Franz Ferdinand on July 19, 1906.

After the Second World War the new border between Italy and Yugoslavia was delineated and the square was divided in two by the so-called "Gorizia Wall", that is to say, a fence at head height.

The Piazza Transalpina became one of the symbols of the political and ideological separation between Western and Eastern Europe in the Cold War years.

The fence was pulled down in 2004, when Slovenia joined the European Union; on that occasion the centre of the square was enriched with the circular mosaic made by Franco Vecchiet from Trieste; in its central part the decoration features the same number as the white marble boundary stone no. 57/15, which in 2004 was moved aside. A row of stones indicates with a graphic effect the border line on which the fence stood.

On February 12, 2004, the mayors of Italy’s Gorizia and Slovenia’s Nova Gorica removed the border barrier that had divided the two cities and officially opened a new common square shared by both countries. It is adorned with a mosaic with fragments of the number 57/15 that marked the former border stone in the central of the square. The square is a symbol of European unification.

before and after

Palance, Fab87, WB2010, Attus, Verso and 2 others liked this post
BringMe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2014, 11:20 AM   #9966
Fab87
Dietrich von Welschbern

Likes (Received): 7153

I love the volleyball pic!

One thing I still don't like about this square is that you cannot drive your car around the mosaic, can you? To reach the station from the italian side you have to pass through the old border check some 500m away from this square, and then drive on the bordering road on the slovenian side, while there is another one on the italian side.

I reckon that there is still much to do for a decent integration of Gorizia and Nova Gorica.
Old March 15th, 2014, 12:34 PM   #9967
F81

Likes (Received): 43

After Schengen you should be able to drive as you please unless there are limited traffic areas for urbanistic purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #9968
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

I think thay want to keep the square a walking place, instead of a major urban artery.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #9969
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Likes (Received): 2637

I read the ads for jobs this week and the custom station in Malmö/Scania has a bunch of ads looking for custom agents right now, I feel Öresund/Scania wont be open in a long time.
Is this happening elsewhere too?

What country's in Schengen still has custom/border patrol at all?
Mirror's Edge está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2014, 05:18 PM   #9970
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I think thay want to keep the square a walking place, instead of a major urban artery.
And you can park on the Italian side of the square (I'm not sure it's legal, but people do it anyway) and then it's a few seconds walking to the station.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #9971
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

The French D-200 and Spanish N-II joins here.

When customs (not far from there in the south) were built, there were no plans to have buildings there. The road kept in Spain for a while after booths later fifty-fifty and finally it was entirely in France, but only the road and shoulders.

Sometime after, buildings and pavements where built because it run down from a road to a street.

Looking to the north, the 1x1 street is in France in this picture, either the parking lanes (former shoulders) but eastern (right) pavement is in Spain and all buildings in the right of the image are in Spain (left ones are in France). It is easy to recognise several well-known Spanish or French banks... in its pavement side!.

So, if you are driving north and park in the right, you keep in France. If you get off the car by the left doors (to the asphalt), you remain in France. If you get off the car by the right doors (to the pavement) you are crossing a border.

Therefore, all parking metres in the area are only in the left side of the image (the entreprise has no licence to put in the Spanish side parking metres). You may cross, pay and cross again to put your ticket (I do not know if parking watchmen would check you have payed walking over the asphalt or from the pavement. In this last case they are fining you "from other country")

It is not the only curiosity there...

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)

BringMe, piotr71, AtD, Suburbanist, italystf liked this post
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #9972
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.ostman View Post
What is the situation around the former Yugoslav republics nowadays? Are all small roads blocked or is it possible cross some borders illegally by car? I have no intention to try, just curious.
That depends on the area... For example it should be possible to cross even by car here:
https://goo.gl/maps/BAH5a
https://goo.gl/maps/ywqcZ
https://goo.gl/maps/wth1E
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2014, 12:42 AM   #9973
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.ostman View Post
What is the situation around the former Yugoslav republics nowadays? Are all small roads blocked or is it possible cross some borders illegally by car? I have no intention to try, just curious.
There are some very strange places still open and accessible in that part of the world. Perhaps the queerest example is here - http://goo.gl/maps/iNmqe - "Ticha Dolina" in Slovenska Vas, close to Bregana (HR). The gates were wide open when I went to investigate, yet the restaurant/hotel/whatever it is was very much closed.

There are numerous other examples like this, but this is the most absurd one. Slovenia did barricade quite a few of them, but there are also examples like this - http://goo.gl/maps/TFg6a - where the barrier can be easily lifted.

HR/BiH - I don't know the latest situation, but I know that there were certainly still some border crossings easily accessible by car. I believe Croatia intends to put concrete blocks in those locations, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italysf
I don't think they can be crossed by car, maybe by foot but you risk to be arrested. The border between Slovenia and Croatia is well patrolled because it's the current outer Schengen border and also the borders between Croatia and SRB\BiH\MNE, that will be the outer Schengen border in a couple of years.
Slovenia/Croatia is ridiculously poorly controlled. I've spent hours exploring the borderland there in a PL registered car and no-one has even asked me what I was doing, let alone actually stopping me. Actually, I lie - I was prevented from approaching the border in Bregana, but the Slovenians took no interest when approaching from their side.

In general, neither country really could care less about their common border. I've taken pictures of border stations without problems, I've lurked around on the borderline and so on, even crossed the border illegally on numerous occasions and never had any problems. All on foot, though.

I spoke to one border guard who told me that they weren't really bothered about clearly European citizens hanging around the border. The example he gave is that most people are waved straight through the border anyway, and EU citizens are highly unlikely to be denied entry into another EU state, so there was little to no point in bothering EU citizens for merely crossing on foot.

Quote:
Maybe borders between other republics are less patrolled but in many Balkan areas is better not to wander in the wilderness without knowing the area, since there are still minefields left from the conflict in the 90s.
Croatian minefields are all marked clearly, and Bosnia is safe if you stick to the paths.

Having said this, Croatian police are far more interested in the BiH and MNE borders. The police in Licko Petrovo Selo told me that if I wanted to explore the borders, I should always register with the border checkpoint responsible for the area in question. They're happy for people to explore the border areas, and they don't impose any restrictions (and they will even allow you to cross the border if the BiH police agree) - but they do want people to register their intentions first.

All in all, Balkan borders are pretty laid back. There's certainly nothing compared to the Polish/Slovakian/Hungarian monitoring of the UA border!

bogdymol liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2014, 12:49 PM   #9974
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
The police in Licko Petrovo Selo told me that if I wanted to explore the borders, I should always register with the border checkpoint responsible for the area in question. They're happy for people to explore the border areas, and they don't impose any restrictions (and they will even allow you to cross the border if the BiH police agree) - but they do want people to register their intentions first.
that's true. even if you want go for rafting at Una river, you should register by border police. usually those are guided and organized tours, so organizer does it (he just takes numbers of documents, and gives list to police).
Old March 16th, 2014, 05:10 PM   #9975
Eulanthe

Here's an example of a HR/BiH crossing that was completely unguarded - http://goo.gl/maps/rJQc4 - you could pass this by car if you so wanted.

I'm pretty sure this will have been blocked up now.

Incidentally, I believe BiH has a border zone. I don't believe it's enforced (not like the Lithuanian or Finnish zones, for instance) - but it still exists.

I know there are some examples like this to be found - http://goo.gl/maps/D2v84 - I don't think this is a border crossing, but rather just a guard post.
Old March 16th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #9976
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
I know there are some examples like this to be found - http://goo.gl/maps/D2v84 - I don't think this is a border crossing, but rather just a guard post.
AFAIK it is ("Bili Brig") but only for local traffic. The Bosnian side should be unpaved.
Old March 17th, 2014, 10:47 PM   #9977
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
AFAIK it is ("Bili Brig") but only for local traffic. The Bosnian side should be unpaved.
Just checked, and you're quite right.

The situation with local border crossings is quite maddening in Croatia, as quite a few useful border crossings are officially designated for locals only. The most absurd one is in Metkovic - how on earth can a divided town only have a border crossing for locals only?

http://goo.gl/maps/qNP3M - this is an example, Martin Brod is close by to here, and it has some real tourist potential. Yet it's closed for non-locals - why?

There really is no reason for these local border crossings to be restricted to EU citizens.
Old March 18th, 2014, 01:07 AM   #9978
piotr71

[F][B] Lille-Mouscron, (Rue des 3 Pierres/Marlierestraat)

I just love border crossings in Lille metropolitan area. I've already been to about 15 spots on that borderline and here is another one (all formerly visited by myself has been captured or filmed and can be found somewhere in this thread)

Old March 19th, 2014, 02:40 AM   #9979
italystf

Twin cities: Valga (Estonia) and Valka (Latvia)

Right: Estonia
Left: Latvia
https://www.google.it/maps/@57.77889...pibUNgNk3g!2e0

Unmarked border
https://www.google.it/maps/@57.78728...vFz7w5RO0A!2e0

Estonian road, but trees on the left are in Latvia
https://www.google.it/maps/@57.79644...D9BgsNyung!2e0

Pedestrian border crossing
https://www.google.it/maps/@57.77648...1HFsFzaiyA!2e0

Road border crossing
https://www.google.it/maps/@57.77493...C_FpMkK8uQ!2e0
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Last edited by italystf; March 19th, 2014 at 02:45 AM.
Old March 19th, 2014, 02:50 AM   #9980
italystf

In Russia you can't approach the EU border without autorization: they have those signs (and also the Google Car stopped there):
https://www.google.it/maps/@57.77493...C_FpMkK8uQ!2e0
The worst possible English translation, BTW.

Tags
highways, motorways