daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2014, 04:33 PM   #10001
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

Maybe this link could help you:

http://www.carina.hr/CURH/Dokumenti/...narnica_RH.pdf

In Croatian however, couldn't find it English.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2014, 04:34 PM   #10002
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 410

These local border crossings are just infuriatingly stupid - they don't warn people in advance that the crossings are for locals only, and there seems to be no real reason why they're restricted anyway.

I'm actually preparing a letter to my MEP on the issue, as it seems that the whole concept of locals-only border crossings are completely against the spirit of the EU and freedom of movement. Why do I have less right to cross the border than some guy in a village in Croatia?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 04:55 PM   #10003
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

I was asking because I wanted to drive from Mostar to Ston via Stolac and those two above I mentioned would have been good choices.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 05:00 PM   #10004
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Both of them are only for locals?
Trebimlja/Čepikuće
You are right about this, it seems to be changed last year:
http://msb.gov.ba/dokumenti/medjunar...&langTag=bs-BA

I like such small crossings anyway: https://maps.google.nl/maps?q=%C4%8C...,55.26,,1,5.91

cinxxx liked this post
Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 05:40 PM   #10005
WB2010

Likes (Received): 1789

I want to show you three interesting and symbolic pictures made by the Polish forumer matizz:

These pictures were made at the Polish-Ukrainian border and show the small town of Waręż. The border is closed and strictly controlled as it is not only the EU but also the NATO and the Schengen zone external border. Just beyond it, in the background, you can see Waręż with its two former Catholic churches that testify the fact that the town had been inhabited by the Catholic, Polish population for many centuries. The smaller church is now renovated and serves as an Orthodox church and the bigger one, built in 17th century, is empty and ruinned.

Interestingly Waręż was Polish as long as until 1951, when Stalin forced the communist authorities of Poland to hand over 480 square kilometers of land to the Soviet Union because coal reserves were found there. Poland lost not only Waręż, but also historically important towns of Bełz, Sokal and Krystynopol (now Cervonohrad). The whole local Polish population (14.150 persons) was forced to leave their homes and settle within new Polish borders.

Stalin planned to annex more Polish territory - fertile lands with the now our easternmost town of Hrubieszów - but fortunately he died in early 1953.

Let us hope that thanks to recent changes in Ukraine it will be easier to cross the border - a new border crossing in the nearby town of Dołhobyczów is now under construction.

Corvinus, piotr71, los77, darko06, SvMp liked this post
WB2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 06:19 PM   #10006
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

EU citizens don't need any visa for Ukraine since the Orange revolution, I think problems are far worse in communities near the border with Russia or Belarus.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:10 PM   #10007
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB2010 View Post

Interestingly Waręż was Polish as long as until 1951, when Stalin forced the communist authorities of Poland to hand over 480 square kilometers of land to the Soviet Union because coal reserves were found there. Poland lost not only Waręż, but also historically important towns of Bełz, Sokal and Krystynopol (now Cervonohrad). The whole local Polish population (14.150 persons) was forced to leave their homes and settle within new Polish borders.
That's all true, however, if we mention head of the story we shall say something about its tail too. I do not want to defend the soviet barbarian and mass murderer but in exchange we were given same size area in Bieszczady, including the town of Ustrzyki Dolne. Inhabitants of Sokal-Waręż area were resettled there.

Quote:
Stalin planned to annex more Polish territory - fertile lands with the now our easternmost town of Hrubieszów - but fortunately he died in early 1953.
Yes, that's also true, but we would have been given similar size area in exchange, consisting of railway Zagórz-Przemyśl which partly remained on the other side of the border.

Last edited by piotr71; March 22nd, 2014 at 11:40 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 09:45 PM   #10008
WB2010

Likes (Received): 1789

You are right, it was a land swap, but a very unfavourable one for Poland:

1. Poland was forced to give up a very fertile land, rich in coal (annual production capacity - 15 million tons) and full of Polish historical heritage (for instance the sanctuary in Sokal-Żwirka, the Potocki's palace in Krystynopol or Catholic churches in Bełz, Waręż or Uhnów).
In exchange we were given barren, hilly territory around Ustrzyki Dolne without any natural resources.

2. By 1951 the territory Poland had to hand over to the Soviet Union was inhabited exclusively by the Polish population, but of course Stalin was not concerned at all about this, they simply had to abandon their homes and move westwards.

Map of territories Poland lost in 1951:

WB2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 10:54 PM   #10009
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

And Ustrzyki Dolne was part of II RP so it is like stealing your bicycle and then offering to trade it back for your car it is a brotherly gesture, just... in a dysfunctional family

piotr71 liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 02:03 AM   #10010
fbeavis

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
USA - Canada border: not difficult to walk across it!
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=49.00...,9.78&t=m&z=11
You can go from Canada to Hyder Alaska and there is no border control. There is however border control going from Hyder to Canada

fbeavis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 02:22 AM   #10011
koszatek
***** ante portas!

Likes (Received): 4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB2010 View Post
Map of territories Poland lost in 1951:

The border changes in 1945 and 1951 forced to build new railroad bypasses of Rava Ruska.
Here is a map, dashed blue line is a border during 1945-1951.

Firstly, the Hrebenne-Uhnów (red line) bypass was built, because the railroad near Uhnów and Krystynopol was not connected with the rest of Poland rail network. It was finished in 1949 and was only two years in use.
The border change in 1951 forced to dismount the track. The second bypass (green line) was built in 1955 and it is still in use.

In 1996 a railway international border crossing Hrebenne-Rava Ruska was open, but after Poland become part of EU, the trains was demolished by smugglers and the border police, so it was cancelled in 2005.
Before opening the railway border crossing the track was repaired. The last 1,5 km from the border on polish side was in very bad condition (not in use since 1945) and full of wrecks of locomotives and cars. The wrecks was set here by polish railwaymen to stop potential soviet invasion in 1980 and removed in 1996.

Kanadzie, WB2010, piotr71, los77, keokiracer and 1 others liked this post
koszatek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 09:16 PM   #10012
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
You are right about this, it seems to be changed last year:
http://msb.gov.ba/dokumenti/medjunar...&langTag=bs-BA

I like such small crossings anyway: https://maps.google.nl/maps?q=%C4%8C...,55.26,,1,5.91
That's the other reason why I'm annoyed, I love those small crossings!

Probably my favourite crossing is the Vitaljina/Kobila crossing from HR/MNE. It has such a quiet, relaxed atmosphere.

Still, good to see that the Cepikuce crossing is open for international transit, I'm definitely going there to pick up a stamp!
Old March 24th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #10013
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

I will be also driving to Montenegro from Cavtat.
I was considering taking the border crossing Vitaljina or the one from the main road D2.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 10:56 PM   #10014
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I will be also driving to Montenegro from Cavtat.
I was considering taking the border crossing Vitaljina or the one from the main road D2.
Take Vitaljina, all the reports I have is that the Croatian border police are really checking cars at Karasovici on the D2. Vitaljina in comparison is very laid back, and the Croatian border police have an absolutely beautiful view over Prevlaka. There's never any problems there, and they are far friendlier than at Karasovici.

Make sure your insurance is in order for MNE though, as you probably won't be able to buy it at Kobila (the Montenegrin side of Vitaljina).
Old March 25th, 2014, 11:27 PM   #10015
an-148

Likes (Received): 31

take Vitaljina, for sure !!!
an-148 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #10016
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

Border crossing Šid (SRB)-Tovarnik (HR):

Serbian side:

Croatian side:

Now, the interesting part: Orthodox cemetery of the Tovarnik village is located at the border line with Serbia, behind Croatian border control. Which means that if someone wants to visit cemetery, he must cross Croatian checkpoint!

http://goo.gl/maps/G523N

Blue Griffin liked this post
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 11:30 PM   #10017
tripleaxl
BANNED

Likes (Received): 264

Does the Serbian side double as a junk yard?
tripleaxl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 07:13 AM   #10018
erxgli

Likes (Received): 17

Mexico - New Mexico USA border

Children crossing the border getting back home to Chihuahua Mexico from schools in New Mexico USA.

TheSkyscraper liked this post
erxgli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 07:23 AM   #10019
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3339

How's that? There is any kind of agreement between Mexico and USA for allowing Mexican children to study in US schools?
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 09:13 AM   #10020
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

It looks like there are no border checks (although I cannot imagine that on this border)

Tags
highways, motorways