daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 2nd, 2014, 03:14 PM   #10041
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I believe that is a wildlife crossing.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:52 PM   #10042
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Border bridge between Konispol/Albania and Skala/Greece

Verso, Skyline_, Attus, Rombi liked this post
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #10043
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Crossing the border between France and Switzerland on A41/A1 and then driving into and around Genève:

(and yes I think I was flashed... for driving 50 in a 50).

Verso, TommyLopez, piotr71 liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 12:38 AM   #10044
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

What are the conditions when entering BiH, MNE, AL, MK?
Is it possible to take a photo with the country sign (and yourself out of the car )? Should you ask the border staff about this?
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #10045
erxgli

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by erxgli View Post
Mexico - New Mexico USA border

Children crossing the border getting back home to Chihuahua Mexico from schools in New Mexico USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
How's that? There is any kind of agreement between Mexico and USA for allowing Mexican children to study in US schools?

Those children are actually US-born children living in Mexico and studying in the United States.

Reivajar liked this post
erxgli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 11:38 AM   #10046
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Is it possible to take a photo with the country sign (and yourself out of the car )? Should you ask the border staff about this?
I've made several photos of these signs and borders, but I've never found a courage to get out of my car a take a photo out of it (photos are usually taken from my car and therefore you can see my dirty windscreen on them). Especially Macedonian border policemen are way too moody to me

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 12:42 PM   #10047
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

You see some of those pictures that's why I asked, especially by motorbikers.
Old April 5th, 2014, 03:51 PM   #10048
TommyLopez

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
Crossing the border between France and Switzerland on A41/A1 and then driving into and around Genève:

(and yes I think I was flashed... for driving 50 in a 50).
Typical Swiss point of view of the Schengen system, many cops doing absolutely nothing... And this is nothing compared to the border point Chiasso-Como with Italy, where during the summer I waited almost 30min to cross the border... Really good job!
TommyLopez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #10049
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Weren't those cops the custom officers?As Switzerland has not the custom union with the EU you still abide to the custom control when crossing.
Old April 5th, 2014, 08:49 PM   #10050
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
As far as I'm aware, there are no restrictions on crossing any of those borders on foot, so getting out of the car is no issue at all. I've wandered around quite a few border crossings before/after the controls and no-one has batted an eyelid.

There's no restriction on photography at most border crossings too, except the Kosovo ones. It wouldn't hurt to ask for permission if you want to photograph the buildings, but for the sign, no-one will care if you do it.

Can't speak for MK, but certainly MNE, AL and BiH border guards are a cheery, friendly bunch. Certainly - if you want to photograph the MNE border sign on the HR border, it won't be an issue because neither sign is near the actual border crossing.

Getting out of the car is a non-issue. They're used to people crossing on foot and I've never heard a single word about doing it. I even made a point of crossing to/from Hungary a couple of times when stuck in a ridiculous queue at Horgos, and no-one batted an eyelid.

cinxxx liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #10051
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyLopez View Post
Typical Swiss point of view of the Schengen system, many cops doing absolutely nothing... And this is nothing compared to the border point Chiasso-Como with Italy, where during the summer I waited almost 30min to cross the border... Really good job!
I crossed the Como-Chiasso border last year. Ironically, it was the Italians who checked every single screw of my car (I reckon that being Spanish and in my 20s I am quite likely to be carrying some weed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
Weren't those cops the custom officers?As Switzerland has not the custom union with the EU you still abide to the custom control when crossing.
Yes, it's a custom thing. As you said, Switzerland is within the Schengen zone, but you have to go through custom controls.

Road-wise, Switzerland being part of the Schengen agreement means little. You still have to go through 2 different checkpoints and you're likely to be stopped and checked. Minor roads are a different story, I crossed the old Perly douane four times and encountered no officers.

TommyLopez liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #10052
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
Precisely, although I think quite a few of them there were patrolling the use of vignettes rather than Customs. But yes, under Schengen law, they shouldn't be stopping every car, but rather they should be conducting operations based on intelligence and risk analysis. Therefore, it's normal that many of them would be "doing nothing", because that's exactly what Schengen demands.

Having said that, the attitude of the French towards EU Customs controls is diabolical. They've abandoned the vast majority of their offices and seem to be doing absolutely nothing to control imports from Switzerland.
Old April 5th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #10053
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

That's not diabolical, it is finally being reasonable and treating people with respect instead of worrying about "swiss terrorists" like some other countries
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #10054
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
That's not diabolical, it is finally being reasonable and treating people with respect instead of worrying about "swiss terrorists" like some other countries
But the complete abandoning of controls isn't sensible too. The Swiss approach (random "flying" controls) would at least make sense - but the French seem to have taken the attitude that there's no need for any controls.

I have a friend who had to import (legally) some very high priced computer software from Switzerland to France. He had the money to pay for the VAT and import duties, but what he found was that it was nearly impossible to find an open customs office. Eventually, he went to the main France-Switzerland border crossing near Geneva, but there should surely be other places to import such goods?

(interestingly, the first place he tried was Geneva Airport - the French Customs were nowhere to be found, even though they were theoretically open)
Old April 5th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #10055
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

But goods should be free, to hell with VAT (and especially import duties) Is it reasonable to pay for the expense of such controls to take relatively small amounts of money? It doesn't provide useful service (like government revenue) to the public, it only hurts them for nothing.

It is kind of amusing though that the French are not at all like that on the other side with all the English coming and going
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 11:09 PM   #10056
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Certainly - if you want to photograph the MNE border sign on the HR border, it won't be an issue because neither sign is near the actual border crossing.
And what about these ones?

Old April 5th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #10057
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Are there any recent pictures from:
- HR/BiH crossing A10/A1
- BiH/HR crossing Trebimlja/Cepikuce
- HR/MNE crossing Vitaljina/Njivice
- MNE/AL crossing Božaj/Hani i Hotit
- AL/MK crossing Pogradec/Sv. Naum
- MK/SRB crossing E75
Old April 6th, 2014, 12:10 AM   #10058
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

Quote:
Are there any recent pictures from:
- HR/BiH crossing A10/A1
- BiH/HR crossing Trebimlja/Cepikuce
- HR/MNE crossing Vitaljina/Njivice
- MNE/AL crossing Božaj/Hani i Hotit
- AL/MK crossing Pogradec/Sv. Naum
- MK/SRB crossing E75
It's called Tabanovce/Preševo.

Serbian side:

Macedonian side:

Why do you ask?

Blue Griffin liked this post
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 12:23 AM   #10059
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

The one you posted is a large one, I see there are also some pictures on Panoramio.

For the other ones I didn't find much.
I ask because I want to know what to expect, since I'm planning to cross exactly those in my Balkan trip late May.
Old April 6th, 2014, 12:25 AM   #10060
Eulanthe

Palance - both of those pictures are nowhere near the HR/MNE border stations. They're in the so-called "no man's land" - as the border stations are about 2km or more apart. I've got pictures somewhere of those signs, and it wasn't a problem to stop.

As an interesting aside, the main MK border crossing with Greece is horrible - does anyone know if it's from the Yugoslav-era? The one with Serbia is a lot better, even though it's still quite horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Kanadzie"[/quote
But goods should be free, to hell with VAT (and especially import duties) Is it reasonable to pay for the expense of such controls to take relatively small amounts of money? It doesn't provide useful service (like government revenue) to the public, it only hurts them for nothing.

It is kind of amusing though that the French are not at all like that on the other side with all the English coming and going
The French are like that. The controls at Dover are a joke, and they rarely bother travellers at St Pancras or Folkestone. You're more likely to be scrutinised by the British rather than the French when leaving the UK.

As for goods being free - bear in mind that the duty on a mobile phone (for instance) could easily be over 100 EUR. An expensive camera could easily come to 150EUR or more. Allowing a free for all when it comes to imports is just madness - especially as the Germans and Italians maintain their controls.

Not having controls also opens up the border for all sorts of abuse, such as reclaiming Swiss VAT and then not paying the French VAT.

Cinxxx - Vitaljina and Kobila are just little huts by the side of the road with a barrier to stop people driving past. Your documents will usually be taken into the hut to be checked.

Tags
highways, motorways