daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2014, 06:36 AM   #10121
tripleaxl
BANNED

Likes (Received): 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I though that for Poles was almost impossible to go to West Germany and West Berlin before 1989, if it was so easy everybody could flee communist Poland.
I know people from Bulgaria who would go to East Berlin and were allowed to visit West Berlin, too, without any need for a special permit but could not go to West Germany.
tripleaxl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:06 AM   #10122
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

In those times I had a Yugoslav passport as well. Yugoslavs didn't need visa for almost any country
Old April 16th, 2014, 11:25 AM   #10123
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
In those times I had a Yugoslav passport as well. Yugoslavs didn't need visa for almost any country
Yugoslavs didn't need visa for East Germany unless visit lasts longer than 72 hours. I think that Soviet visa was necessary for individual visits. Yugoslav citizens also needed Greek visa (maybe because of Macedonia or Tito's support to Greek communists during the civil war?).
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #10124
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Yugoslavs didn't need visa for East Germany unless visit lasts longer than 72 hours. I think that Soviet visa was necessary for individual visits. Yugoslav citizens also needed Greek visa (maybe because of Macedonia or Tito's support to Greek communists during the civil war?).
It is really strange how Greeks and Serbs loves each other, but hate Macedonians I mean Greek at least.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #10125
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
It is really strange how Greeks and Serbs loves each other, but hate Macedonians I mean Greek at least.
Greeks and Serbs were allies in all Balkan wars plus WW1 and WW2.
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #10126
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
The issue of the flights is a curious one - I really don't have any information on them. If I was guessing, they were probably quasi-internal - no formal controls, but subject to random checks.

It's also possible that the airlines themselves were responsible for enforcing West German immigration law, just like today.
It was agreed at the Potsdam conference that aircrafts owned by the allied countries only were allowed to fly to Berlin. In 1949, Soviet Union "returned" East Berlin to DDR, thus effectively violating the agreement on their sector.

Until 1990, there were three narrow air corridors over DDR to Berlin: towards Hamburg, Hannover and Frankfurt am Main. All the aircraft were to be registered in UK, US or France, and all the crew members had to carry the passports of these countries. The air corridor was controlled by the Berlin flight control, not by DDR. The width of the corridor was 32 km, and the maximum altitude 3000 m, thus making it rather ineffective to fly jets.

If a citizen of DDR got a permission to visit West Berlin, all his or her ID cards and other personal documentation were confiscated at the border for the duration on the visit. That made it difficult to fly away, as the IDs were checked at the aiports. In addition, the whole family almost never got a permission to cross the border, but someone had to stay as "a hostage". Everyone knew the other family members would have suffered if one had escaped.

It was allowed for non-allied airlines to fly to Schönefeldt, because that airport is located outside the city limits of Berlin. Finnair opened a route Helsinki-Berlin, but traveling to West Berlin required a transit visa until 1987 when the Finnish-DDR agreement of exemption from visa came into effect. I visited Berlin once or twice at the end of 1980's, making a stop in Hamburg and taking a Pan Am flight for the Hamburg-Tegel flight.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 02:48 PM   #10127
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleaxl View Post
I know people from Bulgaria who would go to East Berlin and were allowed to visit West Berlin, too, without any need for a special permit but could not go to West Germany.
I think that once in West Berlin, it wasn't difficult to ask political asylum in the West.
Quote:
Greece and (Former Yugoslav Republic of) Macedionia still have problems because of the stupid naming issue.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 06:13 PM   #10128
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
you are talking about eastern block. for western countries there were visas required. maybe not all, but UK and France definitely.
Old April 16th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #10129
tripleaxl
BANNED

Quote:
Especially when it was Serbs that created the whole Macedonian mess. But, since they don't share a border, all is fine and dandy. The real problems are between immediate neighbors

darko06 liked this post
Old April 16th, 2014, 07:00 PM   #10130
tripleaxl
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
you are talking about eastern block. for western countries there were visas required. maybe not all, but UK and France definitely.
But Yugoslavia was a world power! The leader of the non-aligned movement!

darko06 liked this post
Old April 16th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #10131
tripleaxl
BANNED

Quote:
I think that once in West Berlin, it wasn't difficult to ask political asylum in the West.
For East Germans - yes. Thus, they were not permitted to go there.

darko06 liked this post
Old April 16th, 2014, 07:20 PM   #10132
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Quote:

Greece and (Former Yugoslav Republic of) Macedionia still have problems because of the stupid naming issue.
Blame Tito for that issue. It was Vardarska before... "Macedonia".
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #10133
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

"Vardarska" is an adjective, not a noun, so you can only say "Vardarska banovina", meaning Vardar Banate.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #10134
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
"Vardarska" is an adjective, not a noun, so you can only say "Vardarska banovina", meaning Vardar Banate.
like Dolenjska or Štajerska?

darko06 liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #10135
nestvaran
Inveniam viam

Likes (Received): 5096

Quote:
Serbs don't have any problems with Macedonians, they even call them 'southern Serbs'
nestvaran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 07:40 PM   #10136
nestvaran
Inveniam viam

Likes (Received): 5096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
'Hrvatska' is also an adjective, so what
nestvaran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #10137
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
like Dolenjska or Štajerska?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nestvaran View Post
'Hrvatska' is also an adjective, so what
They can be both (actually adjectives start with small letter in Slovenian), but it's "Vardarska banovina", not just "Vardarska" AFAIK.

Alex_ZR liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #10138
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Are you sure? This would mean customs between West Berlin and West Germany, but afaik there were none.
Not "customs", but "immigration". Like Schengen <-> UK/Ireland: there are no customs (free movement of goods), but there are controls on the people.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #10139
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Since we're talking about Berlin:

Does anybody remember what it was like to cross to West Berlin by train? My mother did it, but she cannot recall specifics other than "horrible atmosphere caused by People's Army standing with big German Shepherds on a separate platform at [what I think is] Alexanderplatz ".

Any pics anybody? Personal, or second-hand stories?
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #10140
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4004

Quote:
My father travelled around western Europe in early 1980s and he didn't need any visa, including UK and France.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways