daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 12:06 PM   #10261
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

europe , are you going to do anything ???

yesterday , african-european border in melilla
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2014, 04:07 PM   #10262
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

What can Europe do about it? Fund an ever taller fence?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 04:15 PM   #10263
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Call in the Americans!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

volodaaaa liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 05:30 PM   #10264
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What can Europe do about it? Fund an ever taller fence?
Or give Melilla to Morocco.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:14 PM   #10265
HRHB

Likes (Received): 15

I don't think, that Spain is even thinking about that.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:21 PM   #10266
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1746

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHB View Post
I don't think, that Spain is even thinking about that.
Somehow I got a strange feeling that we will surely end up in Spain-Gibraltar issue again.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:39 PM   #10267
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post

Somehow I got a strange feeling that we will surely end up in Spain-Gibraltar issue again.
I was thinking about it, but then I took a deep breath and counted to 10.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:08 PM   #10268
HRHB

Shouldn't we go back to border again
Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:16 PM   #10269
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

Border crossing of my childhood:

Dolga Vas (SLO)-Rédics(H)

Slovenian side

Hungarian side

Both crossings in one photo

Free of passport control since December 2007.

volodaaaa, Verso, BringMe, Attus, Rombi liked this post
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:00 AM   #10270
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Border crossing of my childhood:
Why? What's the story behind it? The first time I crossed it was in 1998 (going back to Slovenia). The first time I crossed it in direction Hungary was in... 2008, when the nearby motorway already existed.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:41 AM   #10271
Alex_ZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Why? What's the story behind it? The first time I crossed it was in 1998 (going back to Slovenia). The first time I crossed it in direction Hungary was in... 2008, when the nearby motorway already existed.
Well, as a small child I crossed this border crossing in 1993 and 1995. My father's aunt lived in Ljubljana, and the only way to visit her was via Hungary, since war in Croatia was in progress. We travelled by bus, but since FR Yugoslavia and Slovenia didn't recognized each other since I think 1996, buses from these two countries couldn't go to another. People were transfered from Yugoslav to Slovenian bus in Nagykanizsa in Hungary, usually around 3 AM, and we could continue our journey. At Dolga Vas we would get visa, but in 1995 Slovenia introduced new visas which must have been issued at the embassy. Which was another difficulty, since there wasn't Slovenian embassy in Belgrade until 2001 and my father had to send his passport to Slovenian embassy in Budapest. I remember very well glass bus station in Maribor, where bus always stopped. I also remember that we used to pass through villages in Slovenia during the night (motorway A1 wasn't completed yet then), and I was scared by village graveyards which were illuminated by lampions.

P.S. In 1997 Dolga Vas was under reconstruction if I remember well, so we used Hodoš (SLO)-Bajánsenye (H) instead.

Verso, volodaaaa liked this post
Old May 3rd, 2014, 01:24 AM   #10272
Verso
Islander

Interesting story, quite complicated times. And there weren't many motorways back then. I've never crossed the border at Hodoš. In 1999 we drove to the border and turned around.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:56 AM   #10273
volodaaaa

Quote:
Well, as a small child I crossed this border crossing in 1993 and 1995. My father's aunt lived in Ljubljana, and the only way to visit her was via Hungary, since war in Croatia was in progress. We travelled by bus, but since FR Yugoslavia and Slovenia didn't recognized each other since I think 1996, buses from these two countries couldn't go to another. People were transfered from Yugoslav to Slovenian bus in Nagykanizsa in Hungary, usually around 3 AM, and we could continue our journey. At Dolga Vas we would get visa, but in 1995 Slovenia introduced new visas which must have been issued at the embassy. Which was another difficulty, since there wasn't Slovenian embassy in Belgrade until 2001 and my father had to send his passport to Slovenian embassy in Budapest. I remember very well glass bus station in Maribor, where bus always stopped. I also remember that we used to pass through villages in Slovenia during the night (motorway A1 wasn't completed yet then), and I was scared by village graveyards which were illuminated by lampions.

P.S. In 1997 Dolga Vas was under reconstruction if I remember well, so we used Hodoš (SLO)-Bajánsenye (H) instead.
Another evidence that war is completely stupid.

I've got another question: Before 5-8 years ago, it was indeed hard to spot a car with Yugoslav licence plates in Croatia or Slovenia and vice versa. Was it like this due to some kind of fear? Or the people used to travel to "hostile" countries incognito?

And I am always curious about the situation at border crossings. Did not the Croatian officer look unkindly at you when you handed him Serbian/Yugoslav passport?

Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:02 PM   #10274
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Another evidence that war is completely stupid.

I've got another question: Before 5-8 years ago, it was indeed hard to spot a car with Yugoslav licence plates in Croatia or Slovenia and vice versa. Was it like this due to some kind of fear? Or the people used to travel to "hostile" countries incognito?

And I am always curious about the situation at border crossings. Did not the Croatian officer look unkindly at you when you handed him Serbian/Yugoslav passport?
5-8 not, more like 15 years ago (yes, almost 15 years ago we were already at 2000s ). first one was able to see expensive cars because first people who lost fear were businessmen and mafia (actually, for them war existed only for getting more money; only middle-class people were affected by war propaganda about hating and fear). i remember at 2003 seeing SRB plates in certain amount on "normal" cars in HR.
before 2000 there was problem because usually insurances issued in HR were not recognized in YU, and rare people could have afforded 100 DEM for additional insurance.
i think that officers were the last persons on planet who watched HR or YU plates in weird way
Old May 3rd, 2014, 01:44 PM   #10275
Alex_ZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
5-8 not, more like 15 years ago (yes, almost 15 years ago we were already at 2000s ). first one was able to see expensive cars because first people who lost fear were businessmen and mafia (actually, for them war existed only for getting more money; only middle-class people were affected by war propaganda about hating and fear). i remember at 2003 seeing SRB plates in certain amount on "normal" cars in HR.
before 2000 there was problem because usually insurances issued in HR were not recognized in YU, and rare people could have afforded 100 DEM for additional insurance.
i think that officers were the last persons on planet who watched HR or YU plates in weird way
If I remember well, until 2003 there was visa regime between two countries. Serbia and Montenegro abolished visas for EU countries and future members, USA, Australia, Canada, Croatia, etc. Croatia didn't abolished visas but suspended their visa requierements for SCG citizens for a period of one year (January 1-December 31), which was repeated until December 2009 when EU abolished visas for Serbia, Montenegro and Macedonia.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 02:11 PM   #10276
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

that's right
Old May 3rd, 2014, 02:43 PM   #10277
volodaaaa

Quote:
If I remember well, until 2003 there was visa regime between two countries. Serbia and Montenegro abolished visas for EU countries and future members, USA, Australia, Canada, Croatia, etc. Croatia didn't abolished visas but suspended their visa requierements for SCG citizens for a period of one year (January 1-December 31), which was repeated until December 2009 when EU abolished visas for Serbia, Montenegro and Macedonia.
I visited Serbia (Yugoslavia that time) for the first time without visas in July 2002. We travelled to holiday to Greece by bus and I remember that we picked up some kind of "safety travel assistant" at Horgoš Crossing and dropped him off at Kalotina (BG). On the way back we similarly picked up an assistant too and I remember it was a woman this time and she was completely hot Since I was 15 yo, I stared at her all the way through Serbia and felt some kind of sadness when she left us at Horgoš

Except last year, I have not seen many Croatians or Slovenes in Serbia. Last year, I have noticed highly increased number of them and once I was indeed angry on Croatian bus as I seriously needed to go to the toilet and the passengers of the bus had completely occupied the restrooms

In 2009 I was crossing from Croatia to Bosnia and remember a Serbian-plated car at the border crossing. The police literally took this car apart. But it might not have been due to Serbian plates.

Alex_ZR liked this post
Old May 3rd, 2014, 03:04 PM   #10278
HRHB

I really don't know if this belongs here but since it's a border I'll post it

Border crossing Zadar (for boats, ships...)

Attus, volodaaaa liked this post
HRHB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 03:09 PM   #10279
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

I, coming from Budapest region, always used the crossing Hodos in the 90's and early 2000's. The first time I drove to Rédics/Dolga vas was when the motorway in Hungarian side was ready so that it was much better way in Hungary to Slovenia then national road 8.
So actually I've never seen the old Rédics crossing.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 03:16 PM   #10280
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHB View Post
I really don't know if this belongs here but since it's a border I'll post it

Border crossing Zadar (for boats, ships...)
Actually being eaten by a ship

Tags
highways, motorways