daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 7th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #10341
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
One can never have too many likes.
Chris has a nice round number at the moment.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #10342
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Seriously, I was just surprised, that's all, because I had never heard of any non-Communist country doing that. But there are other ways of preventing baddies from leaving than stopping everyone, surely.
Yes, it's a bit odd. And as I said, the border police in general is the same opinion as you and me The controls are normally very relaxed and most times they just wave you through - with an bored expression in the face...
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 06:08 PM   #10343
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
I don't know of any country in Europe outside of Schengen area which doesn't control people leaving the country. That's a common thing. But most times the checks are rather let's say relaxed.
The UK doesn't have exit checks (most of the time), and I guess Ireland doesn't, but I've only exited Ireland once to somewhere not in the Common Travel Area
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 06:26 PM   #10344
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

UK have been doing a lot of exit checks at the Port of Dover lately. And at the Port of Holyhead it's common practice. The French do exit checks at the ports of Calais and Dunkerque all the time.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #10345
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
Where was it? In the Spanish covered customs?
Yes, right there!

I had left Andorra-la-Vella very early!

That day, I did a very circuitous day-long drive: http://goo.gl/maps/LHL12
Old May 7th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #10346
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Yes, right there!

I had left Andorra-la-Vella very early!

That day, I did a very circuitous day-long drive: http://goo.gl/maps/LHL12
Wow... a quite long mountain passes circuit over the Pyrenees.

Normal checks are... almost always.
Exhaustive checks are barely done but they exists.

They are really do not worried on passports but on goods. Sometimes they can have a spy who says that a car is carrying goods and they will check several ones, or they just have enough time.

Due to taxes, importing goods from Andorra is quite controlled.

They apply some rules such as:
- If you are moving from Andorra to Spain you can move all furniture and goods of your home providing several situations but someone from the embassy have to accept which things are duty free to entry in Spain
- If a person living in Andorra is invited to a wedding in Spain and wanna make a present, it will be duty free too but he must declare several things

They are just two laws, there are many, many ones more...

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #10347
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3339

I am not sure, but I think in the Andorran-French border controls are much weaker...
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 07:43 PM   #10348
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

No, they are random ones and they are not always made on the customs but on the road. If you have crossed the customs and haven't declared anything... you can be stopped anywhere.

But, let's remember there is more traffic through Spain because it is "valley down". Going to France means several tunnels

Old May 7th, 2014, 07:52 PM   #10349
csd

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
I don't know of any country in Europe outside of Schengen area which doesn't control people leaving the country. That's a common thing. But most times the checks are rather let's say relaxed.
Ireland is a European country outside Schengen that does not do exit checks! The only identity checks are done on arrival.

/csd
csd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #10350
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
UK have been doing a lot of exit checks at the Port of Dover lately. And at the Port of Holyhead it's common practice. The French do exit checks at the ports of Calais and Dunkerque all the time.
The French do exit checks everywhere with border control don't they?

And I have been stopped at Holyhead, but they didn't ask for ID, the lady wanted to see inside my boot.

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; May 10th, 2014 at 06:34 PM.
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #10351
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Border crossing between Spain and France in the binational borough of Els Límits/Le Perthus. Part of the road through the village is binational: the carriageway and the left sidewalk are in France, whilst the right one is in Spain. There are both Spanish and France parking meters in the town and signs clearly stating that they are only valid in one country.

There's also a pink elephant coming out of a wall

Festin liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 12:20 AM   #10352
bogdymol
bogdymod

How were things going on here before Schengen?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 09:29 AM   #10353
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Likes (Received): 2637

Small crossing on the Sweden / Norway border, I would say it's a typical border situation where somewhat inhabited areas are close to the border in Norway while on the Swedish side it's usually an hour or two of nothing.

Actual crossing towards the end of the video.

Suburbanist liked this post
Mirror's Edge está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 10:02 AM   #10354
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
How were things going on here before Schengen?
No buildings after customs. They are pretty close to real border.

By the way, why all the video is with titles in English except Crown of Aragon?

Old May 10th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #10355
Quilavoce
BANNED

You mean that street didn't exist before?
Quilavoce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #10356
Reivajar

I thought Els Limits (the Spanish part of the international town) was started to be urbanised in the 1960's after the burying of the stream which was set as border between Spain and France in the second half of the 19th century (còrrec de la Comtessa in Catalan, arroyo de la Condesa in Spanish, ruisseau de la Comtesse in French; calle del Correc on the map).

Le Perthus (the French part of the international town) isn't either a really old town, and it was founded mostly based on the customs officers built along the road at the end of the 19th century and beginnings of the 20th century.

Actually, the oldest part of the international town was the road, and the, along the road firstly the western part started to be built as a French town, and later, in 1960's in the Eastern part as a Spanish town, but as the communication was based on the road, actually the Spanish town was on the other side of the French customs. The point is that the border was traced along the stream, and the road was traced paralel to that stream, so actuall the road was the border giving access as well to the Spanish part even if it was on the French side.

Actually, as seen on the video there is a road (or street) built later to avoid the French customs to get direct access to Els Limits from the Spanish territory (it is the current Carrer Dr. Subiros)

The oldest structure in the town is actually the Bellegarde Fort.

Quilavoce liked this post

Last edited by Reivajar; May 10th, 2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old May 10th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #10357
Reivajar

Another interesting landmark on the area is the original roman road and the pass used in the Antiquity. The original road and pass used was not the current N-II and D-900 in Le Perthus and Els Límits, but it was extremely close, on the other side of the Bellegarde fort.

The original border was in the Panissars pass. Romans marked the limit between Gaul and Hispania, and the link between de Via Domitia (coming from the Alps through Southeastern Gaul) and the Via Augusta (which reached Cádiz in Southern Hispania). As usual, the Romans, to celebrate the victories in Hispania, built a monument in the Summum Pyrenaeum, the Pompey's Trophies (and in French)

In the Middle Ages the place was occupied by a church, and furthermore its stones were reused for other constructions.

During the Middle Ages, firstly the Catalan Counties, later the Crown of Aragon and finally Spain from the 15th century dominated both sides of the mountains in this area, and approximately the current Pyrénées-Orientales department was part of Spain. After the Treaty of the Pyrenees in the 17th century Spain and France modified the borders in this area, and the argument used by France for moving the Spanish-French border to the Pyrenees was actually (well, it was the historical and rational reason, for sure there was the stronger military one, xD) was the original border established by the Romans between Gaul and Hispania.

So, it can be considered the first stage of this international border.

Attus, Suburbanist, snt3000, Swede liked this post

Last edited by Reivajar; May 10th, 2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old May 11th, 2014, 12:18 AM   #10358
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Thanks for the information. I'll try to visit Panissars ruins, I hope I have the time one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
No buildings after customs. They are pretty close to real border.

By the way, why all the video is with titles in English except Crown of Aragon?
I didn't know there was an exonym. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old May 17th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #10359
AllyMac

Likes (Received): 2

With Scotland looking more and more likely to be Europe's newest independent state, it's so nice seeing all the pictures of border crossings around the world. The British are coming out with all manner of ridiculous statements about armed guards and electric fences on the Scottish border with England, so it's good to show them what it's actually like in the real world!
AllyMac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #10360
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyMac View Post
With Scotland looking more and more likely to be Europe's newest independent state, it's so nice seeing all the pictures of border crossings around the world. The British are coming out with all manner of ridiculous statements about armed guards and electric fences on the Scottish border with England, so it's good to show them what it's actually like in the real world!
It will probably be like the Republic of Ireland-Northern Ireland border that's almost unnoticeable except for the speed limit and county signs.

In case of independence, will Scotland become a kingdom, a republic or a British Commonwealth member nation?
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways