daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2014, 11:48 PM   #10361
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyMac View Post
With Scotland looking more and more likely to be Europe's newest independent state, it's so nice seeing all the pictures of border crossings around the world. The British are coming out with all manner of ridiculous statements about armed guards and electric fences on the Scottish border with England, so it's good to show them what it's actually like in the real world!

What an absolute pile of shite.

Road_UK liked this post
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2014, 11:53 PM   #10362
AllyMac

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
It will probably be like the Republic of Ireland-Northern Ireland border that's almost unnoticeable except for the speed limit and county signs.

In case of independenca, will Scotland become a kingdom, a republic or a British Commonwealth member nation?
Unlike the IRL/UK border, the SCO/UK border will be signposted though that's about all that'll be much different from now.

After independence, we'll begin with the present monarch as Head of State though I can't say how the Commonwealth status will be. Hopefully a few years down the line we'll go a republic, but that's up to the people to decide.

El Tiburon liked this post
AllyMac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 11:55 PM   #10363
Pascal20a

Likes (Received): 19

But Scotland is not independent
Pascal20a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #10364
AllyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal20a View Post
But Scotland is not independent
Not yet, no.
Old May 18th, 2014, 12:12 AM   #10365
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

The border between Scotland and England is signposted even now. Why would there be any need to change that? (Of course there will be an issue about the name of the other country.)
Old May 18th, 2014, 12:13 AM   #10366
AllyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
The border between Scotland and England is signposted even now. Why would there be any need to change that? (Of course there will be an issue about the name of the other country.)
Exactly.
Old May 18th, 2014, 12:47 AM   #10367
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Unlike the IRL/UK border, the SCO/UK border will be signposted though that's about all that'll be much different from now.

After independence, we'll begin with the present monarch as Head of State though I can't say how the Commonwealth status will be. Hopefully a few years down the line we'll go a republic, but that's up to the people to decide.
There's a thread in the UK skybar about these issues. It's been up there a few years, it's very busy, and people there go round and round in circles. Low or no moderation. I wish you the best of luck, and go and enjoy yourself. This is not the place.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 02:02 AM   #10368
Quilavoce
BANNED

Quote:
With Scotland looking more and more likely to be Europe's newest independent state, it's so nice seeing all the pictures of border crossings around the world. The British are coming out with all manner of ridiculous statements about armed guards and electric fences on the Scottish border with England, so it's good to show them what it's actually like in the real world!
They're so sensationalist.
Quilavoce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 02:32 AM   #10369
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
What issue? It will still be England on the other side. Another issue is whether Scotland will join the metric system. Would EU signs be put up?
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 02:48 AM   #10370
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

I assume the name-of-the-country issue is what you call what's left of the U.K. (England + Wales + Northern Ireland). Would it still be the U.K.?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #10371
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I assume the name-of-the-country issue is what you call what's left of the U.K. (England + Wales + Northern Ireland). Would it still be the U.K.?
They will also have to take the blue flag with the white X-shaped saltire cross of St. Andrew from the Union Jack leaving it with the white background and the horizontal red cross of St. George for England and the X-shaped red cross of St. Patrick for Northern Ireland.
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #10372
nestvaran
Inveniam viam

Likes (Received): 5106

Šamac border crossing (BiH) during floods

nestvaran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #10373
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

what happens if you approach that border with a canoe? can you cross? If I lived close to there, I would try

bogdymol liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #10374
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
They will also have to take the blue flag with the white X-shaped saltire cross of St. Andrew from the Union Jack leaving it with the white background and the horizontal red cross of St. George for England and the X-shaped red cross of St. Patrick for Northern Ireland.
"Would," not "will," for now, surely?

I thought of that, but I suppose there's nothing to stop them from taking the line "this has been our flag for a long time and we'll continue using it."

And then you've got half of the national and (Canadian) provincial and (Australian) state flags in the Commonwealth. Not to mention Hawaii.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 19th, 2014, 01:12 AM   #10375
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

When the UK under a UKIP-controlled gouvernment will leave the EU, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will be welcomed back into the EU after they declare their respective independence. Maybe this will even solve the conflict in NI, witch the protestants rather living in an autonomous region within the Irish Republic.

While other regions wich seek independence like Catalunya, Flanders etc. won't have a chance to rejoin the EU because of the veto of their current countries, the Scottish case could be completely different.

Scotland's independence is feasible, even when the UK will throw them out of the GBP, they can join the Euro at any time. Maybe they will even join SChengen, which would result in border controls at the Scottish/English border.
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 12:08 PM   #10376
garethni

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
That is not what the College of Arms says.
garethni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #10377
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethni View Post
That is not what the College of Arms says.
What does the College of Arms say?
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #10378
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

For that matter, what is the College of Arms?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 19th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #10379
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
I've got news for you. You are British. It says so in your passport (if you got one)
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #10380
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I've got news for you. You are British. It says so in your passport (if you got one)
Not really. "British" is just a way to describe the citizenship of the United Kingdom, nothing more. In terms of nationality, there's no such thing. You'll notice that it's usually immigrants that identify closest with the concept of being British.

Blue Griffin liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways