daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 2nd, 2014, 12:31 AM   #10501
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Well, it's more Switzerland actually. Swiss customs and immigration services are also responsible for Liechtenstein.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2014, 12:46 AM   #10502
popcalent

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
It's Peru's border with Ecuador:

http://www.travellerspoint.com/photo...ers/hayden111/

You don't have to be a driver, you could get there by bus. I assume there're more English-speaking people crossing the border there than Brazilians or the Portuguese.
I was going to say the same. Borders usually use the language of both bordering countries (in this case both countries speak Spanish) and English as lingua franca. They don't care about third countries no matter how close they are.

It wouldn't make any sense to use Portuguese just because one of the two countries also borders Brazil. The border between Spain and France doesn't have signs in Portuguese just because Spain borders Portugal.
popcalent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 12:48 AM   #10503
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

No, but I've noticed a lot of advertising in Spanish in Portugal near the Spanish border. Especially before you get to Vigo...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 12:58 AM   #10504
popcalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
It's not fake, it's unofficial. Since FL joined Schengen and they don't have an airport you won't get any official stamps on border crossings anymore. Nice stamps there though
I used the term fake stamp to refer to fake immigration stamps. I haven't read all passports in the world but I would say 90% of passports have an inscription that reads (more or less) that only proper authorities are entitled to stamp the passport. Usually a stamp not issued by a proper authority (immigration police, police, consulate, embassy, etc.) is considered a fake stamp.

I have the San Marinese, the Monegasque, the Vatican, and the same Liechtenstein stamp you have. I consider those to be fake because the issuers don't have the authority to stamp my passport. Just if I stamped my own passport with my smurf stamp, I wouldn't consider it a real stamp (although the stamp itself, the object, is real).

I also have the Andorran stamp that doesn't even have a date on it and it just reads "Andorra, the country in the Pyrenees". But that I got at immigration from an immigration officer who has the authority to stamp my passport. Therefore, that's a real stamp.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 01:00 AM   #10505
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror's Edge View Post
McDonald's ad on the Sweden/Norway border...SEK 1 is 0.9 NOK
Point of this would be lost if two countries would have euro as a currency...

cinxxx, bozenBDJ liked this post
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 01:07 AM   #10506
popcalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
American embassy in Bratislava. This could be considered as the border crossing too.
Btw. US is the only country that fenced it territory like that. Perhaps we are potential source of terorism:-D
Embassies and consulates are granted extraterritoriality but they are considered soil of the hosting country. So no international border crossing there.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 01:16 AM   #10507
alserrod
Bienvenue Ó Saragosse

by the way, I've checking Peru-Ecuador border crossing. There aren't many and in one case you may get a ferry or so because both roads approach to a river but there's no bridge.

A lot of border is in the middle of the jungle.

And.... I think I got the picture more or less. Google street view is not available yet in Ecuador and barely in Peru.

Have a look

It is in Huaquillas (Ecuador) but in the Peruan side (not Ecuador images available).

It is clearly a different picture (not the same pannel either the logo) but the same message:

"Peru, thanks for your visit" bilingual and later "Welcome to Ecuador", in red and blue.

What the ****!!!, is there any border control?. Not only there but in the whole city

https://www.google.es/maps/@-3.48147...m1hg76rhzQ!2e0

(JosÚ A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 01:18 AM   #10508
alserrod
Bienvenue Ó Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcalent View Post
Embassies and consulates are granted extraterritoriality but they are considered soil of the hosting country. So no international border crossing there.
+1

An embassy is never part of the country that manages it but just a building in a host country.

Due to international agreements, an attack to an embassy can have fatal consequences (not the same to a consulate but obviously it is not quite fair) but never considered as an invasion or so...

Old June 2nd, 2014, 01:31 AM   #10509
popcalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
What the ****!!!, is there any border control?. Not only there but in the whole city
I've been to many border crossings in Latin America including the Peruvian one (not this particular one) and Costa Rica with Panama and Nicaragua; and in Asia: Thailand, Laos, Burma, Cambodia, etc. and they all look like the one in the picture.

You can cross freely to either side and nobody will ask you to produce ID but you are expected to report yourself to immigration if you're staying in the country. Usually if you just cross for the day and stay around there's no need to report. But if you decided to get further inland you would eventually be stopped at a check point and then arrested or sent back if you had no passport stamp (ie. leave to stay).

The US-Mexican border is also like that on the Mexican side. You can cross into Mexico and nobody cares. Of course, coming back to the US is another whole story.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 04:09 AM   #10510
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
I used the term fake stamp to refer to fake immigration stamps. I haven't read all passports in the world but I would say 90% of passports have an inscription that reads (more or less) that only proper authorities are entitled to stamp the passport. Usually a stamp not issued by a proper authority (immigration police, police, consulate, embassy, etc.) is considered a fake stamp.
When I was once in Swiss mountains (probably the Jungfraujoch saddle, can't remember), I saw a large group of Lithuanians stamping their passports with the mountain's stamp.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:10 AM   #10511
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:

The US-Mexican border is also like that on the Mexican side. You can cross into Mexico and nobody cares. Of course, coming back to the US is another whole story.
Unless they suspect you're going to sell your car! Or has NAFTA finally killed that insanity?
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:15 AM   #10512
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror's Edge View Post
McDonald's ad on the Sweden/Norway border...SEK 1 is 0.9 NOK
So that's about $9 US in Sweden (not that much more than in the US, probably over $7 after sales tax for the meal) but about $15 US in Norway! Why such a big difference in price? Taxes? Or is the 59 SEK some kind of bargain price?
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:18 AM   #10513
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Norwegian taxes on almost any product are completely insane, I am not sure how the country continues to exist (I guess the people are too calm and Sweden too easy to visit)

I really like how the billboard is in both countries. Imagine in any non-Schengen country trying to get such a sign installed.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 07:34 AM   #10514
popcalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
When I was once in Swiss mountains (probably the Jungfraujoch saddle, can't remember), I saw a large group of Lithuanians stamping their passports with the mountain's stamp.
In Japan there's an ink stamp in pretty much every temple, castle, tower, and major train station so you can stamp your own passport yourself. That doesn't make you any proper authority to stamp passports. And theoretically that would void your passport.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 07:37 AM   #10515
popcalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Unless they suspect you're going to sell your car! Or has NAFTA finally killed that insanity?
I've always crossed on foot, so I can't answer that one. If you've seen the movie No country for old men, when he crosses into Mexico, and the Mexican border guard is sleeping, opens one eye, looks at the guy, and then continues to sleep, that's how it really is!
Old June 2nd, 2014, 10:39 AM   #10516
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

Talking about passport stamps, in Berlin you can get a variety of passport stamps as a souvenir.

I guess this is because travelling inside Schengen zone can cause "passport emptiness", so people see this as a way of getting a memory on their visit and to have something in their passports. Once I've saw one of many "travel-blogs" written by an American who, after entering Serbia from Hungary, said "finally a stamp in my passport".
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:34 AM   #10517
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

The Berlin CoA looks like this meme

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 02:30 PM   #10518
alserrod
Bienvenue Ó Saragosse

Last time I entried in a non EU country (Croatia before.belonging), no stamps.

Last time in Andorra, no stamps
both cases out of Schengen and EU.

Last time to UK didn't want to stamp my passport. They were quite busy.

Last time I had an official stamping was in Tunisia.

That's why many Europeans wonder if it worths to carry over with the passport or any ID is enough

Old June 2nd, 2014, 02:42 PM   #10519
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
In Japan there's an ink stamp in pretty much every temple, castle, tower, and major train station so you can stamp your own passport yourself. That doesn't make you any proper authority to stamp passports. And theoretically that would void your passport.
Well, those stamps they have in mountain cottages belong to your hiking booklet, not your passport.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 02:54 PM   #10520
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Last time I entried in a non EU country (Croatia before.belonging), no stamps.

Last time in Andorra, no stamps
both cases out of Schengen and EU.

Last time to UK didn't want to stamp my passport. They were quite busy.

Last time I had an official stamping was in Tunisia.

That's why many Europeans wonder if it worths to carry over with the passport or any ID is enough
If I hadn't expressly asked for stamps, I wouldn't have gotten any...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways