daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2014, 11:11 PM   #10541
gbrads1980

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
To those that have crossed the border into Gibraltar - can anyone tell me if there are...

- exit controls from Spain (or even an empty booth - anything at all that implies control?)

And... how does the entry control into Spain look like? Is there anything similar to the Gibraltar 'corridor' that pedestrians go through, or is it just a hut with a window?

And the final question - how do Spanish entry controls normally look?
I live in Gibraltar.

There are exit controls from Spain. There are always passport checks and depending on the political situation there can be an empty customs booth or there can be civil guards checking every car for 10 mins plus.

There is a proper building for pedestrians into spain, where pedestrians have to put their bags through X-ray machines etc.

The entry controls vary from one uninterested guard chatting to his amigo ,to intensive checks where every car is checked for 10 mins plus, again depending on the political climate of the day.
gbrads1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2014, 06:26 AM   #10542
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrads1980 View Post
I live in Gibraltar.

There are exit controls from Spain. There are always passport checks and depending on the political situation there can be an empty customs booth or there can be civil guards checking every car for 10 mins plus.

There is a proper building for pedestrians into spain, where pedestrians have to put their bags through X-ray machines etc.

The entry controls vary from one uninterested guard chatting to his amigo ,to intensive checks where every car is checked for 10 mins plus, again depending on the political climate of the day.
How does this differ from the Spanish borders with Andorra and Morocco?
Old June 6th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #10543
gbrads1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
The thing to remember is that the queues on the border with Gibraltar are largely political. When the guards have a spell where they check every car for 10 minutes this involves stopping a car in the lane, wandering around for a bit, chat to their friends and generally waste time, then let the car go.

The moroccan border is a different case completely, it's a border between the developed world and the third world with a HUGE income disparity. So the checking is done much more diligently and with purpose.

Having said that I've crossed the moroccan border at Ceuta, I was travelling on an organised tour in a spanish registered minibus, so we were waved straight through.
Old June 6th, 2014, 12:48 PM   #10544
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Entering Morocco wasn't a big deal for me neither. Got of the ferry at Tangier, got a stamp in my passport and walked into Tangier, immediately being harassed by salesmen. I only went for the day after doing a delivery in Gibraltar.

After this harassment I just carried on walking through town pretending to know what I was doing, and they'll leave you alone. It was an experience, but I was glad to have made it back to Algeciras in the evening.

Attus liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #10545
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
with Andorra, both sides aren't worried in passports and Spain (either France), have goods control for inmigration. Randomly you can have a control in Andorra but they are barely done.

The rule in Andorra is clear. It only worths if you are carrying a great deal of goods which have different taxes. Alcohol and Tobacco mainly.

It is enough to see that a car not full with it doesn't worth for smuggling cos they require to make at least 26 km (13 from first Andorran town to La Seu and back again). Thus they check a random baggage and if it is OK they let you go on.

In Gibraltar it is different. You could carry only a baggage, cross the border, leave it for anyone or in a warehouse and back again for another baggage.

Taxes differences between Spain-Gibraltar and Spain-Andorra are similar (or at least the smuggling problem is similar) but Spain-Andorra border is in the middle of nowhere and 10 km away from first road crossing and town in Spain but in Gibraltar is close to a town.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #10546
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
After this harassment I just carried on walking through town pretending to know what I was doing, and they'll leave you alone.
My tactics as well.

Road_UK, Reivajar, Grotlaufen liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 11:01 AM   #10547
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrads1980 View Post
I live in Gibraltar.

Are these passport checks carried out on pedestrians too? I'm trying to figure out where the Spanish exit passport checks are carried out on pedestrians.

Quote:
Aha! Do they also check passports routinely there?

Incidentally, do you know anything about Gibraltar's plan to put Customs controls on exit? I was reading something about some barriers going in place - any ideas?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #10548
gbrads1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Are these passport checks carried out on pedestrians too? I'm trying to figure out where the Spanish exit passport checks are carried out on pedestrians.

Aha! Do they also check passports routinely there?

Incidentally, do you know anything about Gibraltar's plan to put Customs controls on exit? I was reading something about some barriers going in place - any ideas?
The passport checks are carried out immediately after pedestrians cross the border, the passport officers just stand there, there are no kiosks etc. Normally the process is very quick, just a cursory glance but occasionally the PN will scrutinise each and every passport, which can cause pedestrian queues of over an hour.

The new customs barriers are in place but not in use yet, there is also a new covered search area that has been build.

There is a live border camera that demonstrates then new controls
http://www.frontierqueue.gi
Old June 8th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #10549
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

speaking of which ,any countries have a CCTV for public viewing?
I kn Singapore and Malaysia each have their own ,with only the Malaysia side have limited places for public viewing (the border side).
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 11:40 PM   #10550
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsHalt View Post
Finland, FYROM
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 12:07 AM   #10551
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsHalt View Post
I kn Singapore and Malaysia each have their own ,with only the Malaysia side have limited places for public viewing (the border side).
You mean out of traffic cameras?
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 02:18 AM   #10552
erxgli

Likes (Received): 17

Le Perthus Spain - Els Limits France

Palance, SRC_100, Corvinus, italystf liked this post
erxgli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 05:24 AM   #10553
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

It seems that corner "is different". They have the shire name signal prior the country in the motorway...
(last before one)

Cool pictures

Old June 9th, 2014, 10:01 AM   #10554
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

"Tickets not valid in Spain" Couldn't they think of some crossborder parking fare?
Old June 9th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #10555
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

They could but...

by the way, look at third picture. If you are parking there, car is in France (and if you get off by the right side of the car you are crossing a border).
But parking metres must remain in France so you may look for them in the opposite side of the street. In that pedestrian area they cannot.
Furthermore, any police should walk along the road to fine you. They cannot fine you from the pedestrian side because it is a different country.

Same tickest for both countries?. They could... First of all, I do not know if they have same (or at least similar) fares. Secondly, you can see two parking metres with only 20 cm away each other... one in each country. Information is related to the Spanish one and they just remember that you may not buy there a ticket if you have parked in France. (and information is not written in Spanish.... that corner is different...)

Old June 9th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #10556
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

The same place , some years ago...

source: forum-auto.com
notice the stones

volodaaaa, SRC_100, Reivajar, gdolniak, zsmg liked this post
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #10557
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
You mean out of traffic cameras?
Anything!
normal cctvs ,traffic cams and even the not-frequently-seen cams. As long as it's placed online or somewhere for public use.
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 08:38 PM   #10558
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

spanish side

Reivajar liked this post
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 03:51 AM   #10559
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17485

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITORIA MAN View Post
The same place , some years ago...

source: forum-auto.com
notice the stones
THis is crazy
Old June 10th, 2014, 03:52 AM   #10560
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17485

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMArg View Post
Model of the project of the Bioceanic Tunnel who would connect Argentina and Chile trough the Andes:

Tags
highways, motorways